cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding G752VT BIOS/GPU update, Should I bother updating?

kingswillz
Level 9
I recently got a G752VT (NA model). I'm up to date with Windows 10 and I am up to date with every driver except my GPU and BIOS. Though, I did update my GPU, however that was literally a couple days prior to NVIDIA coming out with the 365.10 version
I heard some issues might pop up when instantly updating to new GPU driver versions, so I am avoiding it since I have absolutely no issues with the 364.72 version. I'm pretty happy with how the laptop is running.

Anyway, as for the BIOS. My version is 205. Currently the latest version is 214. Again, like I said I'm happy with how everything is running. I don't notice any issues. The laptop starts up fast, everything responds, I always get stable FPS on the games I play, there are no fps drops or glitches/bugs, etc.

Basically, since I'm having no issues, should I bother updating the GPU and BIOS? I've had this model for about 11 days and again no problems as of yet.
Is there any value to updating? What are the pros/cons of having these older versions vs having the newer versions?
3 REPLIES 3

MrRuckus
Level 10
kingswillz wrote:
I recently got a G752VT (NA model). I'm up to date with Windows 10 and I am up to date with every driver except my GPU and BIOS. Though, I did update my GPU, however that was literally a couple days prior to NVIDIA coming out with the 365.10 version
I heard some issues might pop up when instantly updating to new GPU driver versions, so I am avoiding it since I have absolutely no issues with the 364.72 version. I'm pretty happy with how the laptop is running.

Anyway, as for the BIOS. My version is 205. Currently the latest version is 214. Again, like I said I'm happy with how everything is running. I don't notice any issues. The laptop starts up fast, everything responds, I always get stable FPS on the games I play, there are no fps drops or glitches/bugs, etc.

Basically, since I'm having no issues, should I bother updating the GPU and BIOS? I've had this model for about 11 days and again no problems as of yet.
Is there any value to updating? What are the pros/cons of having these older versions vs having the newer versions?

I always look at the change log. See whats been updated in the update. If it applies to you, it would probably be best to update. If not, no reason to update. Nvidia drivers are most of the time due to "game ready" drivers for newly released games. Best to also read the change log in those to see what they fix/add. A lot of the time they add percentage of performance to games already released by optimizations, or bug fixes, so Graphics Drivers I always update. Bios on the other hand just really depends on what it does. I've heard it both ways over the years with a Bios update. You shouldn't update unless there is a problem, or you should stay up to date to make sure you don't run into any problems. I personally only update the Bios if I see something in the change log that may impact me.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Yes, there are always two sides to the debate, but if you can't take the chance of something going wrong during or after the bios update, it's better to skip it or wait until a better time.
If you do update the bios, don't forget to load the default bios settings just to make sure this isn't the cause of any unusual issues, but normally it's more important when you are updating bios versions that are further apart.

Was thinking if you just purchased the unit, it might be a good time to risk a bios update especially if you are still within the store's return/exchange period if they have that and if you don't have much 'stuff' on the system yet that you are worried about losing.
It's still a hassle to exchange or return a unit to the store though, so not sure if you even want to risk this possibility, but something for you to decide and consider.
As the notebook models gets more 'mature', usually but not always many of the bigger bios bugs have been solved by earlier bios versions, so you may not really have as many reasons to update to later bios versions unless it happens to help with an issue you are facing.
Thanks.

Update!

You can always revert back, if you'd wanted to.

In my experience BIOS updates always improve. Especially with Asus.

Cheerio
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]