cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Question] Asus G751JY RAM Controller & Channel's

yxc001
Level 7
Dear Asus ROG Community,

i have a question about the Asus G751JY motherboard.
I just bought a 8GiB RAM model and i wanna upgrade it in the feature (if possible dual channel)

and ask for following things:
-wich ram slots are accessable without disassembly the whole device.
-what ram slots use wich channel

The Asus support dont wanna help me with the reason "we dont know near details to the device because and we dont support upgrades" so i wanna ask the forum.

maybe someone tested it befor or disassembly the notebook and saw some notes on the motherboard.

thanks in advance
13,683 Views
22 REPLIES 22

TeMagic
Level 7
If you buy the 16GB version you have two empty ram-slots easily available, which support a maximum of 16GB for a total of 32GB.
Conspiracy is nothing!

yxc001
Level 7
not in my store,

in case i send this notebook back and order a 16GiB version i have 3 empty slots.

so i ordered 8GiB and wanna upgrade it to 16GiB with another 8GiB RAM (equivalent to the used ram)

hmscott
Level 12
yxc001 wrote:
Dear Asus ROG Community,

i have a question about the Asus G751JY motherboard.
I just bought a 8GiB RAM model and i wanna upgrade it in the feature (if possible dual channel)

and ask for following things:
-wich ram slots are accessable without disassembly the whole device.
-what ram slots use wich channel

The Asus support dont wanna help me with the reason "we dont know near details to the device because and we dont support upgrades" so i wanna ask the forum.

maybe someone tested it befor or disassembly the notebook and saw some notes on the motherboard.

thanks in advance


yxc001, hopefully your laptop came with 1 8GB SODIMM, which means you have 3 slots available to add more 8GB SODIMM's for a total of 32GB.

The bad news is if you have 1 8GB SODIMM, in order to fill up the laptop with memory - you will need to open the top to get at the empty slot next to the occupied one under the keyboard.

The other 2 empty slots can both take 8GB SODIMM's, so you can ignore the one that's tough to reach and add 1 8GB SODIMM to get 16GB.

If your 8GB's consists of 2 4GB, then you can add 2 more 4GB to the empty slots available under the bottom access panel, and you are all set 🙂

To find out what you have installed, use CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab, and select each filled SODIMM slot to see what is in there.

Mine came with 3 x 8GB, so I only need to add 1 more SODIMM, which I got off of ebay - a Macbook pull - used and tested. Via CPU-Z it has the same specs, make and model as the SODIMM's that came with the laptop.

And, that is what I usually suggest, find the Make, Model, part number of the installed SODIMM's and order more of the same. It is the most compatible and if you search for sales / deals you can get them for the same price as the bargain stuff.

Trying to save a few bucks by buying cheap memory, matching spec parameters is a hit and miss - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't - over time I have found it is best to suck it up and work to get the same memory as installed.

This what CPU-Z looks like for my SODIMM's

48562

You can use CPU-Z to find out what make/model/part number you have installed and google for a good deal on more.

Please come back and let us know what you have installed, where you found to purchase and how it works out 🙂

yxc001
Level 7
Thanks for the reply hmscott,


thats how my RAM currently looks like and the problem is i wanna upgrade it to 16GiB instead of 32GB
and for sure i wanna use the Dual Channel function of my CPU so i wanna know what slot use wich channel

example:
Slot 1 = Channel A1
Slot 2 = Channel A2
Slot 3 = Channel B1
Slot 3 = Channel B2

and what slots are aviable by opening maintenance flap only so i can check if i am able upgrade to 16GiB dual boot without completly opening the device.

and if yes in wich of the slots i have to place the ram slot to use the dual channel. (currently slot 2 is in use.)

So you have 1 8GB in slot 2, you'll need to put 8 GB in slot 1 under the keyboard to run dual channel. Slots 3 and 4 are accessible. You'll have to open up your notebook to access the 1 and 2 slots. Have a look in your user manual and you'll see this is the case. This is not Asus problem it is the Vendor that set it up this way. Vendors will do anything to make you think your getting a better deal.
You can find you owner manual here at Asus Support Downloads or on the DVD that came with your notebook? If you got one
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
So you have 1 8GB in slot 2, you'll need to put 8 GB in slot 1 under the keyboard to run dual channel. Slots 3 and 4 are accessible. You'll have to open up your notebook to access the 1 and 2 slots. Have a look in your user manual and you'll see this is the case. This is not Asus problem it is the Vendor that set it up this way. Vendors will do anything to make you think your getting a better deal.
You can find you owner manual here at Asus Support Downloads or on the DVD that came with your notebook? If you got one


thanks for the answer but i dont know if my example correct (if so thats very unusual)

on pc motherboards its usually like:
Slot 1 = A1
Slot 2 = B1
Slot 3 = A2
Slot 4 = B2

And are you 100% sure that Slot 1 and 2 is under the keyboard?

and i dont have any problem, i just request how the ram channels are switched and till now i didnt get any clear answer. The Asus VIP Support doenst give me any informations.

In the owner manuel i didn't found anything related to RAM (random access memory) thats why i contacted the asus support and about setting up the notebook... the box was sealed so iam pretty sure that asus set it up this way.

try and error... 2 slots available the chance to get dual is 33% ,right or 50? :cool:

warryabel wrote:
try and error... 2 slots available the chance to get dual is 33% ,right or 50? :cool:


i dont like this idea...
looks like Asus isnt really transparent and i dont like to support such a company.
my idea was that maybe some1 from the community got the information from asus and wanna share these infos but looks like iam wrong,

i still have 10 days to revoke the purchase so if Asus dont change the mind and become a bit more transparent i'll never buy something from asus again (desktop & notebook)

i paid like 2000€ and dont get all required infos for the device i mean this is a really bitch move or i am wrong?

yxc001 wrote:
i dont like this idea...
looks like Asus isnt really transparent and i dont like to support such a company.
my idea was that maybe some1 from the community got the information from asus and wanna share these infos but looks like iam wrong,

i still have 10 days to revoke the purchase so if Asus dont change the mind and become a bit more transparent i'll never buy something from asus again (desktop & notebook)

i paid like 2000€ and dont get all required infos for the device i mean this is a really bitch move or i am wrong?


Clintlgm gave you the correct answer. You need to add the 2nd 8GB SODIMM to the free slot on the top under the keyboard to get Dual Channel support between slots.

Why isn't that answer good enough for you??

You could add 2 8GB SODIMM's to the free slots under the access panel under the laptop and they will run in Dual Channel mode.

You will not notice a performance difference between Dual Channel and not Dual Channel, except in benchmarks, so don't sweat it if you don't want to disassemble the top to get at the free slot to enable Dual Channel for the already install SODIMM.

You really need to relax a bit, kick back, and let the facts seep in, there is no need to condemn Asus for making a configuration that requires opening the top panel, it just is what it is.

If you had done your research before buying the laptop, read these forums, and learned all you could before making your purchase you would have known this before buying what you bought.

The memory configuration, pairing the 2 top slots and the 2 bottom slots has been the same for several generations of ROG laptops. This isn't news.

Try not to panic and allow that not everything is perfect, and learn to live with and make work what you have as best as possible, and above all, enjoy it 🙂

You have an awesome laptop, don't nit pick it to death. If you really want a configuration with 2 x 8GB already installed in the top slots then take back the one you have, save up some more $, and get it.

Please come back and let us know what you work out 🙂