cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with backlit~G55

sing_css
Level 9
I have a problem with my backlit, when I press the power button, the laptop will turns to sleep mode. When I turn it on again, I found that I am unable to switch on the backlit~I've tried reinstall the ATK, but the problem still not solved. Anyone know why is this happen? ><"
76 REPLIES 76

UP!

Still having this problem, and Asus support is telling me to restore my system... Not sure it's going to change a thing since the problem exists since i first turned the laptop on.

Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I become a member of the ASUS ROG family. My first day on it everything was going good, I uninstalled a couple of things like the ASUS Live Update, and the Vibe applications. On the second day, I noticed the same problem that members on this thread are having. That is the keyboard backlight won't turn on after the laptop goes to sleep mode. I google searched and stumbled upon this thread. Here are a few details of my G55.

- ASUS G55VW-RS71
- Issue occurs when the G55 went to sleep, I haven't tested what it does after hibernation
- BIOS 209 right out of the box
- ATK Package 1.0.0016

Arvinaaaaa wrote:
i download a copy of windows 7 without the useless asus softwares..did a clean install and deleted my recovery partition and merge all the partition into one..i install only the drivers and not the softwares..guess what, no audio problem, and the backlit also ok..can turn on automatically after sleep..brightness problem also solved.

Please note that I had clean install in mind after maybe a week for my G55 when I noticed it comes with bloatwares. When I encountered the keyboard light problem, I went ahead with Arvinaaaaa's suggestion on my 3rd day (yesterday). This did not resolve the problem, at least for me.

colpolite wrote:
Weird because I don't have this issue. My model is a G55VW-RS71 and i been trying to produce this problem over and over by putting it to sleep mode and waking it up and i'm still able to turn on/off readjust 3 levels of brightness settings with no issue.

Is it safe to say now that this could be a possible hardware issue from several g55 bad batches?

I wonder what is your BIOS version? I really wish you come back to this thread, because I think it will help us narrow the potential cause down 😞

At this point after finding what I can find on the web, and especially from this thread. It seems the problem isn't the ATK Package 1.0.0017, because I have the ATK Package 1.0.0016. My suspicion are aimed at the BIOS or the hardware (keyboard lights).

This to me is a minor problem, a convenience issue. It'll be nice if my backlight works as suggested, but it's not groundbreaking enough for me to want to hate my G55. I love my G55, runs cool as advertised, moreover furmark and 3dmark benchmarks are on point with the web reviews/testimonials I researched before I went ahead and ordered it.

Of course it'll be nice if we find a solution to this problem. So... please guys, members, and also ASUS tech supports alike, help us out! 🙂

I have clean install of Win7 and the trouble is the same!!

eu fiz uma instalação limpa do Win7 Ultimate e continuo com o problema.

NNY wrote:
Hi everyone!

A few days ago, I become a member of the ASUS ROG family. My first day on it everything was going good, I uninstalled a couple of things like the ASUS Live Update, and the Vibe applications. On the second day, I noticed the same problem that members on this thread are having. That is the keyboard backlight won't turn on after the laptop goes to sleep mode. I google searched and stumbled upon this thread. Here are a few details of my G55.

- ASUS G55VW-RS71
- Issue occurs when the G55 went to sleep, I haven't tested what it does after hibernation
- BIOS 209 right out of the box
- ATK Package 1.0.0016

Please note that I had clean install in mind after maybe a week for my G55 when I noticed it comes with bloatwares. When I encountered the keyboard light problem, I went ahead with Arvinaaaaa's suggestion on my 3rd day (yesterday). This did not resolve the problem, at least for me.

I wonder what is your BIOS version? I really wish you come back to this thread, because I think it will help us narrow the potential cause down 😞

At this point after finding what I can find on the web, and especially from this thread. It seems the problem isn't the ATK Package 1.0.0017, because I have the ATK Package 1.0.0016. My suspicion are aimed at the BIOS or the hardware (keyboard lights).

This to me is a minor problem, a convenience issue. It'll be nice if my backlight works as suggested, but it's not groundbreaking enough for me to want to hate my G55. I love my G55, runs cool as advertised, moreover furmark and 3dmark benchmarks are on point with the web reviews/testimonials I researched before I went ahead and ordered it.

Of course it'll be nice if we find a solution to this problem. So... please guys, members, and also ASUS tech supports alike, help us out! 🙂

Hi! some new posts say BIOS 214 works fine. I do agree BIOS 209 was a bit buggy. In my case, I have a G55V that came out-of-the-box with BIOS 206. Everything works well - especially the keyboard functions and KB backlights. I have tested it when turning my PC in sleep mode or in hibernate mode and when it wakes up/resumes, everything works just fine. even when there are these USB devices that were connected before sleep/hibernate and disconnected when the notebook is in hibernate mode, my G55 still works fine when it resumes.

I have a question though: Which BIOS version is better then, the 206 or the 214? I am currently in Windows 7 and I am just waiting for all the proper drivers of G55 for Windows 8 be available before upgrading to the new version of Windows.

By the way, during my first week of use with my G55, I also noticed those bloatwares. I chose the ones I wanted to retain and the ones I don't want to use. I filtered the programs that starts with the system boot. I am particularly annoyed with the Asus Live Update and I seem to have freezing problems at the time it is still present in my lappy. But when I removed it, I never had any other issues.

rewben wrote:
just curious, what are the settings in the bios for "Wake on Lid Open" and "Power Off Energy Saving" in Advanced tab? try set them both to Enabled, save the changes and reboot. then test it with fn+f1 keys (sleep button) or power button. both should be able to make the laptop sleep and wake up.

if possible, disable the hibernate function by typing "powercfg -h off" in elevated command prompt also (right click on command prompt and select run as administrator).

edit: btw i'm using ATK Package 1.0.0023.

Hey!

Finally a follow up from me. But talking about BIOS 209 (or 208 as my ASUS Winflash says,) I have actually never went the route that you suggested. I went about a month of looking at this thread everyday, and I quit looking until about a week ago and BIOS 214 was available and the new BIOS ver. fixed two problems so far. One is the backlight not working after the G55 went to sleep, second is the subwoover still emitting sound even when a headphone was plugged in to the G55 headphone jack.

hlorenzl wrote:
Hi! some new posts say BIOS 214 works fine. I do agree BIOS 209 was a bit buggy. In my case, I have a G55V that came out-of-the-box with BIOS 206. Everything works well - especially the keyboard functions and KB backlights. I have tested it when turning my PC in sleep mode or in hibernate mode and when it wakes up/resumes, everything works just fine. even when there are these USB devices that were connected before sleep/hibernate and disconnected when the notebook is in hibernate mode, my G55 still works fine when it resumes.

I have a question though: Which BIOS version is better then, the 206 or the 214? I am currently in Windows 7 and I am just waiting for all the proper drivers of G55 for Windows 8 be available before upgrading to the new version of Windows.

By the way, during my first week of use with my G55, I also noticed those bloatwares. I chose the ones I wanted to retain and the ones I don't want to use. I filtered the programs that starts with the system boot. I am particularly annoyed with the Asus Live Update and I seem to have freezing problems at the time it is still present in my lappy. But when I removed it, I never had any other issues.

I have never tried 206, so I cant really comment which is better between that and the 214.

BIOS 214 like I said above fixed those two problems that I have with BIOS 209/208. So guys and gals! If you are on BIOS 208/209 and have keyboard and subwoover problem, try 214, it does great for me so far on my second day. Im really2 happy right now 😄

Oh, and I am still on Windows 7. I went ahead and downloaded the Winflash utility that is marked for Windows 8 on the ASUS website, and the 214. It flashed within minutes and worked great right away.

hi people, i just updated my bios to 214 and updated atk package to

im using a g55vw-rs71 with 32gb ram on windows 7.

i still havent resolve this issue on my unit. hope there is a fix for this.

whenever it sleep or shutdown, the power button light wont go off and the status light too, this makes me unable to power up again, the only solution i have is to remove the battery for a hard reset.

The Power On button should flash when the laptop is in Sleep. It should be off for Hibernate and complete Shutdown.

If the problem you report existed under the previous BIOS version, it sounds like it is hardware-related. If your laptop is new, return it to the retailer for an exchange or complete refund. Otherwise, set up an RMA for Warranty repair.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Arvinaaaaa
Level 7
i download a copy of windows 7 without the useless asus softwares..did a clean install and deleted my recovery partition and merge all the partition into one..i install only the drivers and not the softwares..guess what, no audio problem, and the backlit also ok..can turn on automatically after sleep..brightness problem also solved.

Arvinaaaaa wrote:

Alright, you convinced me 😃 I'm gonna try that.
Thanks

Arvinaaaaa wrote:

Can you explain it in detail??? Appreciate it very much!