cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROBLEM: DOS USB-PEN not booting up

ciccio80
Level 9
Hi I created a DOS USB-BOOT pen drive with the "rufus" utility.
I let the program format and create a dos boot USB pen (fat32). Then I copy al the DOS OS files on the pen.

When I try the USB on an older notebook (Sony Vaio, 2010) and set it t boot from usb, I get into MS DOS normally.
But when I try to boot the same pen from my G751JY, it does not read it and instead skips back to the bios menu.
I never imagined I would have problems with this. Is there a way to make a bootable MS-DOS USB key work with G751JY?
13 REPLIES 13

TugaPower
Level 8
Disable secure boot, disable fast boot, activate legacy support, then try usb dos boot. Although take attention activating legacy your actual OS will not boot.

TugaPower wrote:
Although take attention activating legacy your actual OS will not boot.

It will still boot, just not as fast as usual.

TugaPower wrote:
Disable secure boot, disable fast boot, activate legacy support, then try usb dos boot. Although take attention activating legacy your actual OS will not boot.

Hi
I did all those things but still t won't boot from USB.
MAybe I'm missing something in the Boot options? I chose UEFI: generic flash disk 8.07 as "boot option 1" . I disabled boot oprion 2 so it won't enter windows after not starting dos from usb pen.
When I power up the pc, it reads the USB for 1 second, then drops back to bios.

Where am I getting this wrong?

Do I need to add a "new boot option" manually in the bios? I looked at it but don't know how.

ciccio80 wrote:
I chose UEFI: generic flash disk 8.07 as "boot option 1"

Your DOS USB drive is not UEFI compatible, which is why we need "Legacy mode" activated. There are two options for every USB drive, one normal and one UEFI. You can either select it as boot option 1 or press Esc when you boot your pc to get inside boot menu.

ciccio80
Level 9
Thx for the answer. I kind of knew already the part about UEFI, but the problem is I had "legacy mode" acitvated in my bios but in the boot I could only see 2 option (Windows boot manager and UEFI:USB....). There was no NON-UEFI USB to choose from like in the picture you kindly posted.
That's why I was puzzeled?! I am at work now, but when I get back home I will try to do the steps one more time.
P.S. I am on bios 209

Corporal
Level 9
I'm also on bios 209. Make sure you have enabled these two options.
There should be two options, UEFI and normal, for every storage media, regardless whether it's bootable or not.

ciccio80
Level 9
I will try in a few hours and let you know. Probably the problem was in one of the boot config options on "disabled"....

Thank you

EDIT: I tried like you said and it worked. The problem was the "lounch PXE.." was set to smart-auto or something like that and it has to be enables.
The G7651JY bios is a little "slow"...I had to reboot 2 times before it showed me the NON-UEFI USB key option 😉

P.S. someone knows how to save the bios file (not download it from the Asus, but actually save the one installedon the motherboard)? I tried with Afudos.exe backup.rom /O but the USB key just lits up and nothing else happens.

TugaPower
Level 8
Use AFUWINGUI v.3.07.00 x64, just open the program, press save, it will save you current BIOS

TugaPower wrote:
Use AFUWINGUI v.3.07.00 x64, just open the program, press save, it will save you current BIOS

Thanks. Buto what about flashing a new modded bios....isn't it better to do it in dos mode? Doesn't AFUDOS work with this laptop?