cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

jt128,
Thank you very much for your post.
I bought my ASUS G53JW machine from craigslist... The guy who previously "fixed" the jack destroyed some of the pads (even though they are through hole; go figure [caked with resin, burned, etc.]).
So, as a result, the connection was still very shaky and I had to repair it myself.

Fast forward to present day: This was my 3rd time to repair the DC jack. This time, I found your post, used the same part you have posted, and everything is now great. I removed the old jack altogether, slightly increased the hole diameter in the case and stuck the new jack in the space of the original (I also had to cut the ground pin), and soldered the wires to the bottom of the board (I was able to clean the positive pad enough to get a good solder bond).

With that, words of advice to others with the same problem who will take jt128's approach:
1) When you disassemble your machine, be very careful with the screen cable (mine is starting to go funky after being messed with so many times). Also, pay attention to how the cables are wrapped and pulled through the case when are disassembling the machine.
2) For those who cannot figure out which terminals are which: There is only 1 positive terminal on the board for the DC jack, it is the circular hole. The rest are all ground/negative connections (you only need to connect 1 of them) and they are the thin more oblong (oval- or rounded rectangle-shaped). For the new jack, Positive is the pin in center of the jack, Negative is the tab on the side (which connects to the sleeve of the power supply jack), Ground in unused, cut the pin or leave it floating.
I suggest using a multimeter with a short/open circuit testing function. Then you will have your bearings without any doubt.

Thanks again jt128!

Hey, I posted a while back about my jack, which I eventually got replaced at a local shop. However, just a year later it's broken again. Such a pain.

I'm looking to do a jack replacement, and have a couple friends who are good with hardware. Looking at that jack, it's rated for 3 Amps, but the power supply says it supplies up to 7.7 Have you had any issue with it being able to handle the charge or anything?

Also, my friend was wondering if we could, instead of mounting the jack inside the casing, just have the wires come out through the casing and have the jack completely external, so it is easy to access if we ever need to replace it again. Obviously the wires would need to be secured and I'd have to be careful not to pull on it too hard, but other than that would there be any problem doing so?

Disgruntled
Level 7
So, this power pin problem is obviously a common issue - I wish I had known that before I bought my G53S a few years back, a unit I'm otherwise pretty happy with. The pin broke off, into the power cord, while it was still under warranty on my unit. Sent it back, waited for it to be shipped to a repair center and returned... fine. Worked up until recently.... when the exact same issue came up AGAIN. Funny how the pin narrows at the base, making it weaker there.... I just hope it doesn't cost too much to fix - the earlier quoted repair fees in this thread reassure me though!

C4RN1
Level 9

santi2104
Level 7
this is a joke, i have this laptop scince 2011, in the first 4 months of use the dc power jack broke, i went to the asus main store in argentina and they charged me 700 us dollars and replace the motherboard because imports in this stupid country are closed, not to mention that i waited 8 months to get my laptop back, now it has 2 years of use and the god damn pin broke again, this is unvelievable asus, now i have a g46 and i hope it doesnt break, i would be so pissed, anyways i think im going to do the non stock power jack mod scince the original jack will break again, and i dont feel like changing it every week, i will post pictures when i do it

santi2104 wrote:
this is a joke, i have this laptop scince 2011, in the first 4 months of use the dc power jack broke, i went to the asus main store in argentina and they charged me 700 us dollars and replace the motherboard because imports in this stupid country are closed, not to mention that i waited 8 months to get my laptop back, now it has 2 years of use and the god damn pin broke again, this is unvelievable asus, now i have a g46 and i hope it doesnt break, i would be so pissed, anyways i think im going to do the non stock power jack mod scince the original jack will break again, and i dont feel like changing it every week, i will post pictures when i do it

Sorry, but why did you prefer Asus (G46) brand again after having this stupid and poor-quality-based issue?

I have G53JW and the power jack is very sensitive, eventhough using L-shaped adapter.

My uncle has 7 year-old Toshiba notebook whose power jack is rock-solid though it was used thousand of times roughly.
ASUS G53JW-XA1

C4RN1
Level 9
Warranty should have definitely covered the damage on the G53, also the repair is about $100 USD at most computer shops. You should have done your research before forking over $700 USD. I realize you're in a different country, but I'm sure you could have worked something out.

The G46 has the same jack as the G53 series but the power adapter comes as a right angle. You shouldn't have to replace the jack unless you trip over the cord while it's plugged in. The G46 also has a piece of metal that holds the jack down to make it more secure.

This is picture of the jack once removed.

santi2104
Level 7
i had no other choice scince imports are closed, the power jacks were not in any store, and asus refused to cover my warranty, it was that or thowing a 2200 dollar laptop to the trash (yes, thats what i payed for it), anyways, oddly enough i couldnt find the alternative jacks, but i found one original power jack, so i dissasembled all the laptop, and the stupid soldering iron blew up in my hands, this god damn argentine industry, second time i use the stupid thing and it blew up, now i have to buy another one, i will do a follow up when i install it