cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

They never did say what needed to be replaced. Apparently as soon as they got it, they fixed it and sent it back on its way with no charge. I was completely surprised by how quick the turnaround was and relieved that they didn't charge me to fix it. Thanks for your suggestions, thankfully it was much easier than that.

Thaddeus
Level 7
Hello,

I've sadly had the same problem with my G53jw. I finally had the pin fixed locally for 150$ after the ten pound paperweight sat around for a couple months because the warranty had ran out... and now it has broken again, I don't want to spend another 150$ just for it to break again in a couple months. So I am looking at purchasing the newer G750jw but am very hesitant because of the poor build quality I have experienced on the G53jw. Does anyone know if the build quality is different on the newer versions? I would be quite dumbfounded if they haven't fixed this issue yet which has caused so much hassle and disappointment for so many customers. I may just go with the msi GE70 if the build on the asus g series power jack is still poor.

RivMan
Level 7
Hey Guys, Just had to sign up to post that after 3 years my G53JW just broke the center pin as well.

I've read about 20 pages, and noticed that a few people mentioned a hexagonal pin replacement part that ASUS installed for them. Is this plug available someplace? I will be replacing the port myself, however I have a regular port ordered ($3 from Amazon). I'd like to get the better replacement if it's available someplace. Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but I gave up about halfway through the thread, and my battery it about to die!

If it's available, shoot me an email please, I'll be out of a PC for a while as soon as this battery give out... heh
RivMan@gmail.com

Thanks
-Rob

mustridemore
Level 7
My center pin broke today on my G53sx, I have had it for about 18 months now so not sure if any warranty would still apply. Has ASUS ever said anything about any kind of recall on this?

Also, I replaced one of the 500gb hdd's with a ssd and added another 8gb of ram when it was brand new, not sure if this would have voided the factory warranty anyway.

mustridemore wrote:
My center pin broke today on my G53sx, I have had it for about 18 months now so not sure if any warranty would still apply. Has ASUS ever said anything about any kind of recall on this?

Also, I replaced one of the 500gb hdd's with a ssd and added another 8gb of ram when it was brand new, not sure if this would have voided the factory warranty anyway.

That would not void your warranty, no, and you'd have to check which version you have. Some of them had 2-year warranties. It's on a sticker on the bottom of the computer. No, there is no recall that I know of.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
mustridemore wrote:

If you're in the U.S. and don't mind checking with ASUS support and requesting the RMA number, their contact information is at this page:
http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9

Feel free to send me a PM if you run into any problems, but our repair department may need to check your notebook before they can decide whether the DC jack will be covered (just in case there is more physical damage not caused by normal use of the DC jack?).

As far as the upgraded components go, you can probably remove them before you send back the notebook if you want although it may make it tougher for the service department to check everything else if the unit isn't booting to Windows, so it's better to leave some of the original components for this if possible.

kingrobbo
Level 7
Hi guys I am currently based in New Zealand and just want to get the parts required in USA and shipped to me asap my intention is to keep the power jack always in the laptop from now on so it shouldn't happen again. If someone could give me the links to the parts please as per post 134 don't mind if the part isn't pretty to look at, just sturdy and does the job
cheers

I have the same problem on my G53S. The pin broke Oct 2013 and I got it fixed, but now, two months later, it's about to break again. It won't charge unless the cord is in a specific position, just like before when it broke. I can't keep this computer if it's going to cost me $200 every two months. I'd rather get something else and trash this damn thing. I've had it for over two years now and have loved it besides this awful flaw. Is there nothing Asus can do for me? I really think that they should be fixing this for me for free every time it happens. A recall is definitely in order. I can't believe this horrible situation.

yeungkasey
Level 7
My G53S which bought from Australia 2 years ago have experienced the same problem, which is the power pin broke. I have leave the power plugged in my laptop everyday until i need to bring it to my friends house and it breaks 😞
I have contact Asus Australia, they told me to send my laptop to the service centre and they will see what they can do and how much they are going to charge me.
I dont mind changing it by my self but the youtube video seems complicated and i dont want to risk.

jt128
Level 8
trigger,

Unfortunately I have no other pics besides what has already been posted. I have attached a very simple diagram explaining where to connect things. You must solder wires to connect the center pin on the old jack to the new one, and the new sleeve to the old one. The center pin has a thicker gold lead going to the Mobo. The other 2 leads, as well as the mounting locations, are all connected to V-, or in this case the ground. You can solder directly to these leads on the back of the old jack. Just be careful not to bridge the V+ and V- together with solder. You will need to check and double check and triple check when you are finished that there is no continuity between the two. You should absolutely use a DMM to do this. If they are wrong (backwards) or bridged you will probably ruin the Mobo. BTW, you can solder to either of the V- leads on the old jack. Perhaps the outside one is safer since you have some more space between it and the V+. And make sure that you don't use some really thin wires. Remember that this laptop draws quite a bit of power at full load. Perhaps 16 AWG or thicker is good. I believe that I used 16AWG and have no problems. Much thicker than 16AWG will be tricky to fit in such a small space.