cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

BrodyBoy wrote:
Or a design defect. Either way, I agree.....with so many occurrences, there's clearly something wrong. Given the warranty concern, perhaps you could see whether some local shop is authorized and can do the quick solder job...?

I can try contacting support again to see if there is a local shop which is authorized to perform repairs. After performing a quick Google search, I could not locate any information regarding a local repair shop. It seems this would be much quicker than sending out the laptop and waiting for repairs. It should also be much cheaper.

@jkarchner: That's great news! I'm glad to hear of the fast turnaround....I know that's always a big concern when owners have to RMA their machines, so that should put a few minds at ease. 🙂

But you shouldn't consider yourself lucky that they covered the repair under warranty. The G53 power jacks are clearly defective.....if Asus REALLY wants to step up, they'd immediately offer prepaid shipping materials to any G53 owner who contacts them for this repair. 2-day each way. Prepaid. And how about a sincere apology for your inconvenience.....

Add me to the list, getting my third RMA as we speak. power pin just broke.

Before this i have also had problems with the touchpanel, or what ever it is called, ON-button didn't work. And then the charger started acting up.

I also noticed that the mic is very poor. People can hardly hear what i am saying. Regardless of language so it is not my english pronounciation. And i get weird graphic defects and graphics related crashes when i play games. Not so nice feature on a gaming computer for which i paid 11 500 SEK ($1700).

Yes, stuff is expensive in sweden but on the other hand we got good consumer protection. If this happen again i might even get my money back.

As of now i am advicing all my friends and aquintences not to buy ASUS stuff. Already got one of them to return her newly bought computer.

houndazs
Level 9
Its too bad so many are having this problem. If anyone is in the San Antonio, TX area ill fix your laptop for you on the house! Just send me a PM. Its a very easy fix!

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

houndazs wrote:
Its too bad so many are having this problem. If anyone is in the San Antonio, TX area ill fix your laptop for you on the house! Just send me a PM. Its a very easy fix!

If you ever do get a chance to fix one, you should record how you fixed it and post the video.
It may give people a more realistic look at exactly how easy it is and encourage others to make the fix themselves (if they have the experience to perform the soldering)

jkarchner wrote:
If you ever do get a chance to fix one, you should record how you fixed it and post the video.
It may give people a more realistic look at exactly how easy it is and encourage others to make the fix themselves (if they have the experience to perform the soldering)
great idea will do!

Until then for those of you that feel comfortable with a soldering iron, and disassembly of their laptop, these two links will help you to fix the dc jack! I have also posted a link to a place in the US where you can buy the jack.

How to take the ASUS G Series apart: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide....

How to repair a DC Power Jack:http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/06/dc-power-jack-repair-guide/

Where to buy replacement Power Jack:http://www.amazon.com/Power-Jack-Plug-Laptops-Notebooks/dp/B005EM8JH0

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

I've also just gotten hit with this on my G53SW. Worse, apparently my registration for ADP didn't go through (I have no idea what happened there). I opened an RMA request but I've been warned that this could be considered accidental damage.

The plug hasn't been under any stress, and this is a hugely common enough problem that I doubt they'll determine it's accidental, but I'm hoping that it'll work out ok based on what I'm seeing here. It's some reassurance, anyway. 🙂

Additionally, since this seems to be specific to this power jack... Has the experience been a new motherboard, or soldering a new jack to the motherboard? I'm concerned that if it's the motherboard, it'll end up breaking again. And if I take it to a certified Asus tech who can just solder on a new one that perhaps doesn't SUCK, would that void my warranty? Thanks!

Cavallari wrote:
I've also just gotten hit with this on my G53SW. Worse, apparently my registration for ADP didn't go through (I have no idea what happened there). I opened an RMA request but I've been warned that this could be considered accidental damage.

The plug hasn't been under any stress, and this is a hugely common enough problem that I doubt they'll determine it's accidental, but I'm hoping that it'll work out ok based on what I'm seeing here. It's some reassurance, anyway. 🙂

Additionally, since this seems to be specific to this power jack... Has the experience been a new motherboard, or soldering a new jack to the motherboard? I'm concerned that if it's the motherboard, it'll end up breaking again. And if I take it to a certified Asus tech who can just solder on a new one that perhaps doesn't SUCK, would that void my warranty? Thanks!

Don't let them get away with that "accidental damage" crap. This is clearly a common problem....I would call it a hardware defect.....in the G53. You can cite many cases posted on this forum and on NBR.

I can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect they just replace the motherboard. I don't think this is a solder problem (which would ultimately come down to manufacturing protocols and QC) because loose jacks manifest differently....I've had that issue on other laptops. In the G53, it's specifically the jack itself....the pin isn't strong enough to withstand normal use. I think there must just be some bad ones getting installed.

Phate18
Level 7
The same thing happened to my G53-SX a week ago, just got it back from RMA an hour ago.

This seems to quite a common issue, I agree that the pin is FAR too thin on the inside.

Phate18 wrote:
This seems to quite a common issue, I agree that the pin is FAR too thin on the inside.

Is that the problem....that the pin is actually skinnier than most? (I don't have a G53, so I haven't looked in there.....)