cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

bigmedium wrote:
Got my computer back from repair a few days ago, and they fixed it on warranty. But new problems have now risen after they changed the mainbord. Now the computer is just overall choppey, even when playing youtube....yey asus...

Have you done a clean install after they repaired it? And also updated all your drivers (especially the atheros card!!)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

I just experienced this about an hour ago. My laptop was plugged in and I was working on a graphic design project for a client when I got the low battery warning. Now I have to explain to my client who goes out of town later this week why I won't be able to complete this project for him before the deadline. Also won't be able to start my other project which I just got the go on a few hours ago. Super frustrating. It looks like the part that broke off was a lot thinner than the rest of the pin.

Also did not back up any work from this weekend nor do I have another computer that can run Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Posting from my Ubuntu netbook. Looks like I'm going to have a fun time paying the bills this month.

Retired
Not applicable
Yes did a clean install, working on updating drivers now.

Wonder why this problems occur, didnt have any problems before the repair...

fuzon1337
Level 10
New hardware can cause new problems, always a bummer. But you can try to download CCleaner and run "register" and see if that program finds something that causing your problem.

Or

You can try: controlpanel -> System and security -> administrate tools -> show event logs
(to see if something is wrong, it would show up there)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
Could the new mainboard have a new BIOS version? And that creates some of the problems i see now?

Dont know what my old BIOS version was, but probably older.

Btw, after update of the atheros card it seems better for the moment

fuzon1337
Level 10
The Atheros Wifi card seems to do alot of bugs with your system, I've read in this forum, so let us hope that was causing your problem 🙂

Which notebook do you have? the same as listed on the thread name?

And if you want to check which BIOS verison you got you can download HWinfo32/64 from this New Drivers thread 🙂

Your new mainboard is probably with the new BIOS version, but it should not make new problems for you, it should do the opposite 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
Nopes still same problems, just took a few minutes to appear.

G53Jw.

Havent update the BIOS to the newest FW yet, but thats the next step. All logic says that if you have all the same components on a computer as before and nothing is changed, you should'nt have driver problems, at all.

Like they wasnt there before, on the old MB, but the new one got problems with all the same drivers and specs. So my only clue now is the BIOS FW, i cant think of anything else causing it?

fuzon1337
Level 10
If the BIOS version you got is not updated you could see if that fixes it, BIOS 211 says firmwareupdate, so perhaps it would fix it.
But, if you have tried everything to get it to work again I cannot think of any other reasons.

Perhaps other in this forum could help you out, if you still get the same issues after updating your BIOS.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

My pin just broke for the third time. I ordered mine through Xotic PC, and the last time I had it repaired they told me that ASUS was making the plug fit tighter, therefore making the pin less likely to break.

All they did was delay the inevitable apparently, because I am more careful with the plug every time this happens, and it still keeps happening!

My accidental warranty will be up by the time my pin breaks again, and I'm sure it will.

I bought my G53JW back in April and had to send it in to replace the power pin. I like how the ASUS employee continues to state that it is customer induced damage.
My laptop sits on my desk unless I take it to work where it also sits on a desk. This will be the last ASUS non-motherboard product I purchase.

My laptop is currently going through another RMA for 6 dead fricking pixels, and a dead hard drive...also attached to this RMA is that my G53 is running extremely hot. Do I remember the temperature? No. I do remember that you can't touch either vent in the back without nearly burning your finger.

I can't believe I spent $1200 on a laptop that has more downtime than my Pentium D desktop...pathetic

edit--

I can't believe that someone from ASUS would have the audacity to say, you just spent $1200 on a laptop, now go buy a new power brick with an L adapter for $35, or just the adapter so you can use said laptop without worrying about the power pin breaking. WTF people...I bought an Acer 4 years ago for $500 and I didn't have to purchase any accessories to make sure it didn't give me problems...