cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

i saw how he connected it but I am not a professional when it comes to this. Can you tell me specfically where the red wire and the black wire is connected?

gelo.aa26 wrote:
I am not a professional when it comes to this.

That's why you contract the repair out to a qualified local computer repair shop. At least you can show them where to get the proper connector pin.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Zygomorphic wrote:
Yes, definitely something to consider if you or someone you know is really handy with a soldering gun. The power connector pin is pretty fragile unless you have the newer hexagonal pin design. For some reason, the hexagon pins aren't breaking.

Damn straight ! :3
Asus G53sw-A1
Intel i7 2630qm
Memory 8 GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
Windows 7 Premium
1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
4x Blu-Ray
Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

@apalenschat

Really? ... I've been an Asus customer for years now. all I buy is Asus all I'll ever buy is Asus. Laptops, boards, etc. I have an Asus G74SX-DH71 I bought for about 1750 USD in Feb 2012. I have NEVER had any issues with the power connector. The FIRST THING I DID was buy the L connector and it cost me a whopping 3 or 4 bucks and there is absolutely NO STRAIN on the connector. I use the laptop every day, i tote it to and from work every single day. I also use the laptop in our data center for diagnostics among other things so this unit is heavily used. MY POWER CONNECTOR IS NOT BROKEN EITHER.

It is COMMON SENSE that you buy an L adapter for every laptop you own. the most common issues for hardware failures is a broken power connector. Why would this be the fault of the manufacture? If people would just take 4 bucks and 5 minutes of their time and get the L adapter, they would save themselves a lot of time and frustration. If you dont think you should have to buy a 4 dollar L power adapter to save the port later on from a miserable death, then you sir are a complete and utter idiot.

You say these laptops (G Series) are lemons. I think not. i know of 5 people i know personally that have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with them and they ALL have the L power adapter. Also, i have been in the same situation as you say it, and no, i was not furious. I just thought to myself that it sucks but i moved on and fixed the problem. I have more than 2 brain cells in my head, i did the repair myself and that laptop is working to this day about 4 years later. i have better use of my time than go on a forum and whine like an 8 year old about something that is NOT the manufactures fault in the first place. Just be lucky they fixed it the first place. battery issues or not. you take that risk when you send it in. I can see why they'd want you to prove that there wasnt any abuse or damage.

The broken power connector is a very sketchy and sensitive subject for manufactures. ALL manufactures. The manufactures cannot just take people's word for it. People are in general (I'm talking mainly teenagers, college kids, and other people that just flat out dont care about anything but themselves) very abusive to their electronics. Either they dont know that they are abusing a device or like I said dont care.

When you take into an account how much it costs to repair a unit due to some dumb-a-s-s that broke their power connector, Shipping back to the customer, paying a tech to tear down and repair the unit then put it back together and test it it costs quite a bit to do this for each unit for a stupid little 5 dollar dc power jack that broke when the idiot customer broke because he was being too careless with it.

Reading your posts just flat out enrages me. to think that someone can be so stupid is totally beyond me.
Desktop:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
Power: Corsair 1200i
Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
55" Vizio HD display
Audio: Logitech Z5500
File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

burn0u7 wrote:
@apalenschat

Wow. Thanks for the emotional rant. Personal attacks? Are you an L-shaped adapter salesman? Or just bored on the interwebs?

I've seen dozens of different models of laptops and plenty of actual damage done to DC jacks. I'm well aware of how prevalent it is. But if you actually take the time to read these threads you will realize (if you're not somehow emotionally compromised) that this goes beyond that. Many cases have been reported in this very thread of people taking very good care of the equipment and yet having to have it repaired multiple times. Pins coming out when you pull the adapter out. Etc. etc. etc ad nauseam.

But you have it figured out. +10 forum warrior points.

apalenschat wrote:
Wow. Thanks for the emotional rant. Personal attacks? Are you an L-shaped adapter salesman? Or just bored on the interwebs?

I've seen dozens of different models of laptops and plenty of actual damage done to DC jacks. I'm well aware of how prevalent it is. But if you actually take the time to read these threads you will realize (if you're not somehow emotionally compromised) that this goes beyond that. Many cases have been reported in this very thread of people taking very good care of the equipment and yet having to have it repaired multiple times. Pins coming out when you pull the adapter out. Etc. etc. etc ad nauseam.

But you have it figured out. +10 forum warrior points.

well apalenschat, just remember that no one likes you, no one in your life likes you, no one will ever like you, everyone here hates you, God hates you, Satan hates you, and your dog hates you.

i'm no salesman. i'm an IT guy, and I DONT believe its the manufactures responsibility to repair power jacks. The way I think about it its like tires on your car. does Toyota, ford, or chevy fix, repair , replace your tires when you get a flat? NO. Can your car function normally without tires? NO. Can your laptop function without a DC power jack? NO. Can a person no matter how careful they are accidently damage their power jack on their laptop? YES. can a DC Power jack be defective during manufacturing? You bet. This is the case where they should repair the dc power jack at no charge upon confirmation that the part was defective initially.

I have multiple HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, Toshiba, Fujitsu laptops both personally and also through my company that have mostly straight end power connectors. I think only the Fujitsu has an L shaped adapter. All work fine, ALL are heavily used never an issue with either of them and all are at least 1-3 years old.

so you sir can take your opinions and anything else you say and stick it
Desktop:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
RAM: 32gb Ballistix 1866 DDR3
Chip: Intel Core i7 4770k OC'd Stable 4.8ghz
Water Cooling: Corsair H110i
Power: Corsair 1200i
Video: Asus STRIX OC'd GTX 980
Primary Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Pro 256gb SSD
55" Vizio HD display
Audio: Logitech Z5500
File Server: Dell Poweredge r710 1.3TB Hard Drive Storage 128gb RAM
Storage SAN #1: Dell Equallogic PS100e 14x 750gb SATA
Storage SAN #2: Dell Equallogic PS5000V 16x 1TB SaS

burn0u7 wrote:
The way I think about it its like tires on your car. does Toyota, ford, or chevy fix, repair , replace your tires when you get a flat? NO.

Toyota, General Motors, or Ford do not manufacture tires. They assemble vehicles that include tires from Toyo, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, and other tire manufacturers. There have been many tire recalls by tire manufacturers to replace defective tires that may fail catastrophically (see http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&q=Tire+recalls&oq=Tire+recalls&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.12..0l3...).

burn0u7 wrote:
can a DC Power jack be defective during manufacturing? You bet. This is the case where they should repair the dc power jack at no charge upon confirmation that the part was defective initially.

I believe a good case can be made that some of the G53 power pin connectors are defective, causing them to fail catastrophically. To ASUS's credit, they have repaired many of these cases under Warranty, rather than claiming Customer-Induced Damage. Unfortunately, in many cases, they simply replaced the motherboard with the same defective power connector pin.

Yeah, I know... nobody likes me or will ever like me and my dog doesn't like me...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

burn0u7 wrote:
well apalenschat, just remember that no one likes you, no one in your life likes you, no one will ever like you, everyone here hates you, God hates you, Satan hates you, and your dog hates you.

i'm no salesman. i'm an IT guy, and I DONT believe its the manufactures responsibility to repair power jacks. The way I think about it its like tires on your car. does Toyota, ford, or chevy fix, repair , replace your tires when you get a flat? NO. Can your car function normally without tires? NO. Can your laptop function without a DC power jack? NO. Can a person no matter how careful they are accidently damage their power jack on their laptop? YES. can a DC Power jack be defective during manufacturing? You bet. This is the case where they should repair the dc power jack at no charge upon confirmation that the part was defective initially.

I have multiple HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, Toshiba, Fujitsu laptops both personally and also through my company that have mostly straight end power connectors. I think only the Fujitsu has an L shaped adapter. All work fine, ALL are heavily used never an issue with either of them and all are at least 1-3 years old.

so you sir can take your opinions and anything else you say and stick it

Are these forums always trolled so heavily? It's actually funny to me. I can't begin to fathom why so many random internet people show up to defend Asus. I'm beginning to think they're not random.

Perhaps I should invoke Godwin's law before this cretin does.

apalenschat wrote:
Are these forums always trolled so heavily? It's actually funny to me. I can't begin to fathom why so many random internet people show up to defend Asus. I'm beginning to think they're not random.

Perhaps I should invoke Godwin's law before this cretin does.

Let's keep it civil please!

@burnou7, I would add to your list of L-connectors the Sony brand. They often do have L-shaped connectors, and run a non-standard connector to boot. :mad:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

chrsplmr
Level 18
ge .. unless you are an expert with a solder gun .. and motherboard soldering .. I wouldn't suggest
trying this .. talk about 'bricking' ... yikes .. not to mention any hope of Warranty... just say'n.c.