cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your Windows 10 upgrade experiences for G51/G71 and up

GodsApocalypse
Level 7
Since I have not found a thread like this:

Please post your Windows 10 upgrade experiences below including your model and any tips, fixes, drivers, and workarounds used.

Also feel free to include your before and after benchmarks for your system and GPU. Overall feel and speed of your system, etc.

MODs: Please consider creating an upgrade / install guide with latest drivers for any models you may have and add them to the sticky

Thanks for the input ROGers!
69 REPLIES 69

I've had the windows 10 upgrade icon for weeks and weeks now. There have recently been a large series of updates to the 7 OS, perhaps my invitation will be forthcoming. As things stand at the mo', the win 10 invite indicates we are still validating you computer and as soon as....... you know the rest . I'm in no hurry to upgrade.. I have Win 10 successfully installed on a reasonably high-end desktop but there are a good number of bugs; one off-hand: the visuals are such that all the windows are white and I can't find search panels ,etc. Anyway, I'm not sure I want to upgrade to 10....we need a service pack on this one I think, I'm quite annoyed with Micro$oft...They had the preview releases out for some time, and they still release a "final" version of 10 to the masses as ready-to-run. Beta to my way of thinking. There seem to be three or four steps required to accomplish tasks that took one or two in Win 7.. Cortana can take a hike as far as I'm concerned....and the privacy issues are there, but there are work-arounds as long as you are savvy enough to find them. Strange thing, since I'm not a paranoid person, I just don't trust the product. So...has anyone actually received the "upgrade is ready " on the G75VW , or have you all downloaded the ISO and the media creation tool and taken your chances?

Well yes the upgrade has actually down loaded and was ready to install on my G75VW. I block the download from installing. removed several win 8.1 updates. and then deleted the upgrade files. Then hide the upgrade in updates so that I hopefully never have to deal with it again. As you can see from reading this thread and a few other there are issues with 10 on this model. Most can be overcome however for me I'll wait for SP 1 or SP 2 before I'll put it on my G75.
If you really want 10 on your notebook just go download the ISO or build the Install USB from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. The best way to run the upgrade is from inside window 7 or 8. Look in explore for the USB drive and open it. Select the setup.exe and run the upgrade. Make sure you have read this thread and other and insure you have the correct drivers to install and all the tweaks you'll need to preform to have 10 run smoothly.
the windows 10 Forum is very handy for working out windows issues
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

hancor
Level 7
Breathing new life into a reliable laptop. I upgraded the G74Sx bios to 2.04 per Clarkis117 thread.
Bios update was flawless per EZ Flash instructions.

Added 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4 x 8GB) and Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB.

Updated Windows 7 Ultimate all latest patches and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Installed the latest Intel Chipset v 10.1.2.10 along with Fresco USB utility 3.6.8.0 & NVidia driver v355.82.
Result: Runs like a champ!

Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA ACHI Controller v12.9.0.1001

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth needs driver update, but the Qualcomm Atheros Client Installation Program 10.0 has
kept the WiFi connection running smoothly.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless driver v10.0.0.324

Realtek LAN driver v10.3.723.2015

Realtek HD Audio driver v6.0.1.7553

ASUS USB 2.0 Webcam using installed Windows 10 driver
Sentelic Finger Sensing Pad v9.4.9.5
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214

Wishing you all much SUCCESS!

hancor wrote:
Breathing new life into a reliable laptop. I upgraded the G74Sx bios to 2.04 per Clarkis117 thread.
Bios update was flawless per EZ Flash instructions.

Added 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz (4 x 8GB) and Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB.

Updated Windows 7 Ultimate all latest patches and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.
Installed the latest Intel Chipset v 10.1.2.10 along with Fresco USB utility 3.6.8.0 & NVidia driver v355.82.
Result: Runs like a champ!

Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA ACHI Controller v12.9.0.1001

Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth needs driver update, but the Qualcomm Atheros Client Installation Program 10.0 has kept the WiFi connection running smoothly.

Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless driver v10.0.0.324

Realtek LAN driver v10.3.723.2015

Realtek HD Audio driver v6.0.1.7553

ASUS USB 2.0 Webcam using installed Windows 10 driver
Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214

Wishing you all much SUCCESS!

Upgraded the G74SX BIOS to 2.04, didn't realize anything new other than what was already mentioned in the thread.

Was wondering where you got the following driver(s) as I know Windows installed it on it's own from a older version I had installed but I never found the drivers separately for 9.4.9.5:

I was able to find 9.5.0.3 on Microsoft Update Catalog.

For the others, these are more updated and working on my system:

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Version 11.0.0.1163 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=1723〈=en

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version 12.9.4.1000 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=startdown&id=687〈=en

Qualcomm/Atheros Bluetooth Suite Version 10.0.1.2 WHQL - I thought it was drivers only but the installer says Bluetooth Suite but the installer says Bluetooth Suite which is 8.0MB in size, Bluetooth Suite 8.0.1.336 was 189MB in size
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=1721〈=en

Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless Lan Drivers Version 10.0.0.326 WHQL
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=1742〈=en

Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7610 WHQL with Waves MaxxAudio
ftp://spcust:hwwk758z@ftp3.realtek.com.tw/Realtek/7610_PG435_Win10_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL_MaxxAudio%2...

Realtek LAN Driver 10.3.723.2015 (August 24, 2015 update)
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

Also see my earlier post in this thread for ASUS specific software/drivers.

Almighty1 wrote:
Upgraded the G74SX BIOS to 2.04, didn't realize anything new other than what was already mentioned in the thread.
For the others, these are more updated and working on my system:
Qualcomm/Atheros Bluetooth Suite Version 10.0.1.2 WHQL
Qualcomm/Atheros Wireless Lan Drivers Version 10.0.0.326
Realtek HD Audio Driver 6.0.1.7610 WHQL with Waves MaxxAudio
Also see my earlier post in this thread for ASUS specific software/drivers.

Hi guys, many of these drivers are outdated.
All the latest drivers can be found here:
Latest ASUS drivers for Windows 10 - Official links

ivanr wrote:
Hi guys, many of these drivers are outdated.
All the latest drivers can be found here:
Latest ASUS drivers for Windows 10 - Official links

looks like a great page!
Do you know if most of these are good for a G75VX model?
Granted, you have to select the right driver for the right hardware etc.
Just wanting to hear from people who know or have tried them on a G75vx.
Thanks for posting the link

skidoo
Level 7
Biggest Problem I had was not with my G75...
It was with my home PC....
I have a Radeon HD 4800, now I find out after installing Windows 10, that the card is not supported by ATI/ ADM, with any sort of driver.
So, no way to use the Catalyst Software etc, and my daughter can't play Minecraft very long until the game freezes up.
Was never a problem in the Vista platform.
So, be aware of that, if you didn't know.
Ironically, Nvidia supports many of there older cards for Win 10, cards that are even several years older than mine when it was launched.
The Nvidia drive might be a bit of a sudo driver for those older cards, as the older cards don't have some of the architecture needed
to run true in Win 10. ( I am not technical, but you can read up on it.
So, goodbye ADm, I will now only support Nvidia, even if there are better deals on AMD...price to performance value.
Atleast, Nvidia has made an effort...

Pandur
Level 10
Update on the graphics issues with G55VW in fast boot/secure boot mode: It works fine before I install the Nvidia drivers in both W8.1 and W10.
My guess is that the way Asus have disabled the iGPU on these laptops is not working properly after W8. Once the Optimus aware drivers are installed they try to enable the iGPU during boot and the result is a black screen in W8.1 and a black screen with artifacts in W10. Luckily this only happens if you try to boot in UEFI mode.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Almighty1
Level 9
Thanks, Looks like a good page except everything other than ASUS's own drivers i.e. ATK, USB Charger Plus are also outdated as well. The latest USB Charger Plus that works with the G74SX is 2.0.8, 4.1.6 doesn't work as I posted about previously. Realtek Audio is actually at 7709 already as of yesterday and this one is a ASUS driver. I no longer use the Qualcomm/Atheros WLAN/BT as I replaced it with a Intel AC7260. The Realtek LAN Ethernet is old too as I've had 10.6.1001 which means October 6, 2015 driver since November 18, 2015. The Splendid won't work on the G74SX as it doesn't have the required profiles so have to use the old version 1.02.0040. Realtek Card Reader drivers are actually old as the current one is 10.0.10240.31220. The latest Sentelic touchpad drivers are actually on Windows Update Catalog. Will need to look at it some more later.

Update: For the G74SX, the ATK is new and works, the Power4Gear Hybrid is new and works, the ASUS Live Update is new and works only if you uninstall the old version first manually, otherwise it will crash when you run it. The other drivers as mentioned above has newer versions elsewhere. The missing driver is always the one for the webcam as it seems there can be many companies making the webcam even for the same model computer and by luck, windows will use a generic driver.

Well yes Asus does not support window 10 in any of the notebooks before the G750, so were all left to find drivers that will allow most hardware to function somewhat at least! It appears to me that these drivers worked for at least the poster and his notebook.
While many older desktops are running 10 pretty well it is not the same for notebooks. We have issues with drivers on brand new notebooks and especially Gaming notebooks. So if you are insistent on running Window 10 on your older notebook all you can do is read these thread and post from users that are successfully running 10 and try the same things they have done. Most have tried several drivers from different sources to find the ones that will work satisfactorily for them.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro