cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PETITION: ASUS, please allow RAID console for G752xx users!

Dr4g0n36
Level 10
Since the G752xx came out with 2 x m.2 slot and RAID option is already available in chipset BIOS menù, also compatible with UEFI boot, could be possible with next BIOS release to enable RAID console in order to mount 2 m.2 SSD and configure them in RAID 0 or 1?
15,582 Views
30 REPLIES 30

Otot
Level 7
Signed

JustinThyme
Level 13
No Thanks, Im happy with an M2 NVMe without raid.



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
No Thanks, Im happy with an M2 NVMe without raid.


so if you're happy because you posted ?

karl6774 wrote:
so if you're happy because you posted ?

JustinThyme "just" replied here continung our discussion started in another thread 😉

wy666
Level 7
What is RAID and what does that do ? Better speed transfer between drives or what ?

firmato

wy666 wrote:
What is RAID and what does that do ? Better speed transfer between drives or what ?


Absolutely yes, according to the RAID 0 concept. Half data transfer to #1 disk and half to #2 disk. Same size of file = half of transfer time. RAID 1 instead is a continuous-shadow-copy of your disk to another one, avoiding disaster.

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
Absolutely yes, according to the RAID 0 concept. Half data transfer to #1 disk and half to #2 disk. Same size of file = half of transfer time. RAID 1 instead is a continuous-shadow-copy of your disk to another one, avoiding disaster.


If you dive a bit deeper you will see that while the speeds are increased its not as it would seem. Currently the NVMe platform in raid peaks at 3.5GB/s with 3 drives in raid 0. Single drive=2.5GB/s. 2 in raid 0=3.0GB/s 3 or more in raid 0 =3.5GB/s.

You will never get half the time or double the speed, however you want to look at it its not going to make 5.0GB/s with the current technology as the DMI link saturates at 3.5GBs The only real perceived gain would be reduced latency.


The downside for those who are not familiar with raid, one drive fails all the data is lost on all drives in that array. I run raid 0+1 on my desktop machines where i can get sufficient drives. That gives me the benefit of the speed with the redundancy.

On these drives I find it a bit ludicrous. In a shot time we have gone from 120MBPS of a spinner to 500MBPS for a SATAIII SSD to 2500MBPS for M2 SSD. IMO another increase from 2500 to 3000 with the risk of losing all the data is a pointless proposition.



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

karl6774
Level 7
Dr4g0n36 wrote:
Since the G752xx came out with 2 x m.2 slot and RAID option is already available in chipset BIOS menù, also compatible with UEFI boot, could be possible with next BIOS release to enable RAID console in order to mount 2 m.2 SSD and configure them in RAID 0 or 1?


firmato