cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking my 660m?

Thaladred
Level 7
Hey guys I just got a BBK5 model as a gift and it is running really well. I'm running GW2 close to max settings and getting 40-55 FPS, so really satisfied. Borderlands 2 is coming up and I have it pre-ordered, was thinking of overclocking my 660m and was wondering if you guys can help me out? What program should I use? And what are the best settings? Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing your advice.
69 REPLIES 69

Zygomorphic wrote:
Possibly a BIOS/hardware restriction?

Nah, I figured it out. I was just being careless and had the wrong format for the offset lmao.

bignazpwns wrote:
Yeah its locked. To get higher you need to force a pstate.

Install nvidia inspector. click overclocking and make a shotcut. "Bottom right tab"
Right click the shortcut it makes on your desktop and click properties. Change the target "Example of mine"

"C:\Nvidia Inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -forcepstate:0,0 -setGpuClock:0,2,**** -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,###

**** is your core clock. example 1100mhz.
### is your memory clock offset.

When you do this you will run at the max clock the whole time you will no longer throttle and down clock for 2d. I also mage a lower clocked shortcut that i click when i don't want it to be overclocked or when im playing games on the barrery that down clocks the gpu to 500mhz

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4211653 Thatch not even close to what the card max's out. with the volt mod my gtx 660m maxes out at slightly over 1500 on the core. with 82c load temps. That 1300-1400 is my every day use clocks and that clock in the bench was the highest i could get with no atrafacts and 100% stable. Not bad for a little 660m Really starts to show its teeth around 1100+ on the core.

could you or someone else give a more detailed description of this process? i don t understand what shourtcut i need to change. the shourtcut that i create after i oc the clock +135?

This method has not been working for a long time now. Nvidia fixed it when they released 320.xx drivers if I am not mistaken about the driver version. But yes, its not working anymore. Unless someone releases an unlocked BIOS for the Gx5 series, we are not gonna see any performance boost past the +135 mark. Bearing in mind that the Gx5 series is already 2 years old and no such BIOS exists, I really doubt we are gonna see any real overclocking at all.

eugene_nelson
Level 7
Using Gumbee's advice and never overclocking before I got 20 FPS more than I was using the same settings. I now get 45-55 FPS on gw2.
G75VW-BBK5

eugene.nelson how long did you play? was is stable? how about the temps?

c_man
Level 11
On G55 the GPU will be fine, but heavy OC on GPU will have an impact on CPU temps that might even hit +100°C. Not that good for performance if it does and starts to downclock to 1.2Ghz, since some games now use CPU as well, like BF3 for example. So you need a good balance in G55 for this to work. The GPU cooling is great, don't worry.

eugene_nelson
Level 7
I played for 5 hours and it looked great. I do not know exactly what to look for but it was way better with the higher fps. The temps I noticed never went much above 55-60celcius. I did check that very frequently because I do not ever want to damage this comp.
G75VW-BBK5

eugene.nelson wrote:
I played for 5 hours and it looked great. I do not know exactly what to look for but it was way better with the higher fps. The temps I noticed never went much above 55-60celcius. I did check that very frequently because I do not ever want to damage this comp.

That is why ASUS puts in the cooling they do. Actually, 70-75 C is not bad either, 80+ is cause for concern. If you have pets, make sure to check the air filters frequently, as well as clean them...nothing like pet dander to gum up a computer fan.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Gumbee
Level 8
Can someone post the unlocked bios for the video card i would love to push minw to 1300mhz

bignazpwns
Level 11
Going to a GTX 670m you are going to a last gen GPU "Downgrading in a sense" 660m is a kepler 670m is a fermi. Kepler overclocks higher, uses less power and run cooler. You will never damage your gpu from overclocking. Only when you start to over volt to insanely high voltages. The GPU will throttle its self if temps get to high and nvidia has been doing over voltage protection for years. I use to do extreme overclocking on desktop systems and some i7's i put over 1.9volts to are running fine to this day at stock clocks as daily systems for people. As a user you will never kill your gpu from overclocking. It was once taboo in the pc world and now it is excepted and does not void warranties.

I know a guy who has a very heavily overclocked GTX 280m in his system. Been like this since it was new and its never gave him one problem. He uses it as a main system with about 40+ hours of gaming a week on it.

Also you dont need a unlocked bios to hit 1300mhz. But since you asking to go right to 1300 i wont tell you as you don't understand the basics of overclocking. Each GPU is diff. I can hit a little over 1400mhz on my core without a vmod. A friends can only do about 1335mhz. You might pull 1500mhz or you might only be able to get it to 900mhz without a v mod.