cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking G75VW-BBK5 w/GTX 660m

Guido7142
Level 7
Hi everyone, I am making this thread to share everybody's experience on overclocking the GTX 660m.

I have the G75VW-BBK5 (Best Buy version) and I am more than pleased to tell you that I have reached +135 on the core and +350 on the memory clocks. I did not push the memory any further since I did not wanted it to overheat. The clock is maxed out with +135, I can not push it further, EVGA Precision did not let me go beyond that point. So far it hit only 68 C which is by no mean a terrible temperature. I made the test and taking out the bottom cover so that air can flow directly into fans and GPU temps did not hit 65 C... IMAGINE WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH NO BOTTOM COVER AND A COOLING PAD !!

The moment of truth was 3DMark Vantage where I WAS ABLE TO MAKE 13900 !! This thing overclocks like a beast.

Just thnx for your time in reading this, and leave your experience too !
G75VW-BBK5 / i7 3610QM / 8GB RAM / OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB / GTX 660M
175 REPLIES 175

Guido7142
Level 7
That inconsistency happens to me too. I did not worry too much, at the beginning I also saw some low scores and then an insanely high score appeared and the once again a bit lower and so on... Never had any problems, as a matter of fact the 3610QM mostly is not likely to be the bottleneck in the G75 so not much to worry.

13fist
Level 10
I agree that the CPU is not a bottle neck, but I do suspect the video mem and possibly the CPU are being volt starved at higher settings. i played around a bit with nvidia inspector and can push clock setting past the P state values, but voltage ? I think this is because it's a laptop and the power management is always active, likely also part of the cooling scheme. I don't know, I am normally a desktop guy.
Not that I am complaining, this thing eats most games without the OC, and gives me just that much more bump with the OC without heat concerns. I just wanted to see how far i can go with it for my own curiosity.

I never thought about that voltage issue, just because it auto adjusts as you OC. But maybe you are right, my 660m never passed the 1.1 V, but still the OC I did was massive.

hi there!

I just want to know, why my temp is so high!?

I overclocked the 660m with MSI Afterburner, first i benchmarked it with the tool from MSI Afterburner. The result was something about 73°C.

Then i increased clock and memory +25

Same result as at stock settings?

But why is my temp so damn high?

And what do u think, can be the highest temp, without damage ...

regards

Guido7142
Level 7
Mine also gets to 70+ when I get it to almost 1300Hz and the memory in +500Hz. Depends also in the room temperature, if you live in a hot place it might get higher than that, just don't hit 80, that's high. Of course there's people that say 'I always get my GPU to 150 C and nothing has ever happened' but you know... better to be cautious.

itsgreekpete
Level 7
@ 1290 on the core and 2800 on the memory (artifacts on anything higher) my temps cap at 70 so taht is a little strange because msi doesn't take the core that high... have you checked for dust? what kind of surface is your laptop on? i wouldn't worry about damage the laptop will turn off before you do any damage to it

Guido7142
Level 7
Don't worry, just turn on the OC when needed and not always. I have just cleaned the fan filters and the heat sink by removing the back plastic cap in which the speakers are and there was quite a bit of dust so temps should improve but nothing major nor worrying. Just clean the filters and blow some air through the fans once in a while and you'll be fine, no need to clean it so intense as I did. Again, just do not overpass 80 C... that is a bit alarming.

ggBanks
Level 10
Can someone please share their fps boost in BF3 with this method of OC? I tried OC it to 1300 and in Desktop mode its OK, but when I start any game the display driver crashes. Then I tried 1200 and in the beginning it is fine, temps are fine, but after 1h of gameplay it crashes again. And the boost I get from the 1200 is merely 2-5 fps (for the BF3)! I am starting to think that it is not worth doing this, at least not until an unlocked BIOS is out. I am with the latest driver by the way!
Any suggestions why it behaves like this?

ggBanks wrote:
Can someone please share their fps boost in BF3 with this method of OC? I tried OC it to 1300 and in Desktop mode its OK, but when I start any game the display driver crashes. Then I tried 1200 and in the beginning it is fine, temps are fine, but after 1h of gameplay it crashes again. And the boost I get from the 1200 is merely 2-5 fps (for the BF3)! I am starting to think that it is not worth doing this, at least not until an unlocked BIOS is out. I am with the latest driver by the way!
Any suggestions why it behaves like this?

Let's try to put the memory below +400
My OC are +1200 clock and +400 mem. And it runs stably on every games.

Lovin my G55. Just got it, I am soooo glad I got a ROG laptop, my first ROG product. Been seeing ROG around for several years and finally pulled the trigger on one.

So anyways G55 660M overclocks. Got 1200 clock and 500 mem. I'll try to push it to 1250 clock and drop mem to 350 to see what happens, still tweaking, nonetheless these are some ~BEASTLY~ overclocks. Well done Asus ROG.

CPU is just pushed slightly with bus speed to 105mhz. Will report back. Great thread and Hi Everyone.