cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical drive randomly spinning when opening/saving files?

snapperwhip
Level 8
So this has been happening since I bought the computer, but it's only lately that I've started to do more screencaps of movies and such to the point that it becomes aggravating.

The optical drive for my G55 (an Optiarc Bluray, if that means anything) will spin up every time there's a saving or opening operation on my computer, even if there is no disk in the drive. Sometimes it even spins up when I'm browsing files. In most programs this is fine since the lag is negligible, but when I'm also using programs that deal with media like MP3s and movie files, there's a lag of about 3-4 seconds every time I even open the file menu, which is annoying.

Does anyone know what's causing this behaviour and if there's a way to make the drive be more normal? I suppose I can disable the drive in device manager until I need it, but that's like saying you need to pull the breaker because the lights in your room are turning on and off by itself.
3 REPLIES 3

fstaengler
Level 7
well i couldn't find cure to this problem besides killing the breaker.
it's so sad when these annoying things ruin the otherwise good experience.

i wonder if asus test team would drink less coffee and do more testing this could have been noticed/fixed?

rewben
Level 13
can you try disable power management of the ODD from power4gear?

I have the same problem since I updated to Bios 222 on a G75... before I had no issue.
Is there another solutions instead of disabling power management from Power4gear ?
Because it seems to completely disable the optical drive in Windows...