cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old man looking for a new computer:: Questions on G750/G751

old_Dusty
Level 7
Happy holidays to you all! My 3 year old MSI GT780 finally had its screen break off from the chassis! I'm looking for a quality built gaming laptop to last me into the grave or age 71. My 14 year old Dell is faintly visible, but on its last legs. The rest of my laptops are ones you never heard of and defuncto.
I have questions on the G750/G751 that i can't find answers to on youtube or ASUS website. Please help with my education....
Q1 does ASUS have a metal chassis, or at least a metal plate that the lid is hinged to? I see the surfaces claim to be aluminum, Any hinge problems on ROG or ASUS Laptops??
Q2 does G750/G751 have CAP LOCK LIGHT? Num Lock light?? I can't tell with the MSI. Heck even ejecting the CD is software controlled on MSI. Passwords are about impossible.
Q3 How does ASUS handle slide pad deactivation? MSI has a inconvenient button, and dell does it with auto sensing software {I like that] I'm too ham-fisted to not to hit pad whilst killing orcs, bears,etc, and duct tape is a s&^%$ solution.
Q4 does the headphone jack pickup the hard drive noises?
Q5 How much do you hate ASUS customer service?, Or are they OK finding nondestructive solutions?
Q6 Which US retailer would you recommend for customer service?
Q7 Does the backlit keyboard come on at power up, or on after windows boot up/BIOS controllable?? I want to see keys to enter windows password @ 3 AM when my guilty conscious robs me of sleep.
Finally, in you opinion, is the SSD REALLY worth an extra $400?
Y'all have a great feast over Thanksgiving, and if you have a hunch if ASUS will have some Black Friday price cut, post that too. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Sagi
Level 7
Hi Dusty

I'm a proud owner of the G751JY model myself - Even tho I'm going to RMA it for a few minor things that's wrong with it.. I would still recommend it to everyone I know.

This laptop is so amazing in terms of performance!

I know a few people who bought the JT model (970m GPU) and I have to be honest, it's almost as good as the JY model. Even the JT model outperforms the G750JZ (which was the top model) by 10-20%.

But to answer your questions.. I can't help you with all of them - However, I can answer a few 🙂

Q1 does ASUS have a metal chassis, or at least a metal plate that the lid is hinged to? I see the surfaces claim to be aluminum, Any hinge problems on ROG or ASUS Laptops??:
I had several laptops from ASUS including the G-series - And I have to say, that this is one of the best build laptops I've ever seen. It's not a metal chassis like the ultranotebooks.

Q2 does G750/G751 have CAP LOCK LIGHT? Num Lock light?? I can't tell with the MSI. Heck even ejecting the CD is software controlled on MSI. Passwords are about impossible.:
It does, but it's the backlit keyboard - So it's a permanent light (unless you turn of the backlit keyboard)

Q3 How does ASUS handle slide pad deactivation? MSI has a inconvenient button, and dell does it with auto sensing software {I like that] I'm too ham-fisted to not to hit pad whilst killing orcs, bears,etc, and duct tape is a s&^%$ solution.:
You can enable the autodetect sensor, which will deactivate it once a mouse is plugged in - It's pretty straight forward. All you have to do is open the menu and click yes to that option.

Q4 does the headphone jack pickup the hard drive noises?:
I only play with my headset, if it's games like BF4 or high explosive games - However, I haven't picked up any noises.. But then again, I swapped out the 1TB 7200rpm with a 250gb Samsung EVO 840 ssd instead (I can recommend that, even tho the 2 bay is not sata III) It still makes a HUGE difference compared to the hdd it comes with.

Q7 Does the backlit keyboard come on at power up, or on after windows boot up/BIOS controllable?? :
The backlit will appear @ power up (you can change the level of intensity).
The King of the north!

Thanks. I found my local Best Buy had an ASUS ROG model, that I could touch/explore today, and seems like a solid machine. The duct tape is keeping this POS MCI laptop hanging together, and so I may wait to see if ASUS pairs a touch screen with the 970 +- GPU. Windows 8 is a chimera to me. Very disappointing to hear you are going to RMA it after upgrades. Does nothing from ASUS work properly right out of the box?

Sagi
Level 7
Well it does.. But it seems to be a rare thing.

If you want a touchscreen, there is always the G751JM with the 860m GPU 🙂
The King of the north!

I've never had touchscreen experience.