cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ode to Reading the Manual...

Skull6
Level 10
I apologize if I misspell--I'm having a hard time not continuously belly-laughing as I type this!

Well, my oldest son was SOOOO impressed with my new G75VW-BBK that he rushed out to purcahse his own. (Yes, we're now & 2-ROG household--& hopefully growing!) As my work oftentimes has me away from the house, he decided to "show Dad what he's learned," & set it up himself. While doing so, he violated Dad's 1st rule--which is READ THE DIRECTIONS. He says that he had successfully performed the upgrades & installed all the software packages he likes onto his laptop, but then curiousity got the better of him...

He evidently became "fascinated" with all the little blue symbols on the function keys, & decided to hold the Fn key down whilst pressing each in turn--going left to right as he pressed them.

Care to guess what happened when he pressed the F9 key whilst holding the Fn key down?

That's when I got the "Dad, I need help fixing this!" phone call last night. & I'm still having a chuckle over it.

Lesson learned: Perhaps Dad really DOES "know best" ! 😄

Anyone else care to share similar episodes, where frustration could have been drastically reduced, had someone merely followed Dad's 1st rule & read the manual?
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!
5 REPLIES 5

chrsplmr
Level 18
It's a 'male' thing bro ... had to try it .. bionic boy .. hahhaa .. that's why they say ..
'hire the young, while they still know everything.' .......
Great Father/Son advice ... little do they know .. we only know that because 'we' were
them. hahahha
May I suggest .. he register VIP .. let the ROG begin. and then join 'we' on the forum.
Cudos on the 'New' addition to the family .. and Congrats on raising the lad right ..
(come on .. he wouldn't be worth 'salt' if he didn't go for it in wonder .. he owns original thought.).c.

Pitcher1
Level 9
ha..same experience for my child.

Callmebobzilla
Level 7
Not a laptop story, but it's one that makes me smile every time I hear it...

So my aunt drinks a lot of coffee, and tends to just get the gas station cappuccinos. My uncle, wanting to save money over the course of the year, bought her an espresso machine. Now, my aunt doesn't really follow rule 1 so well....... To this day I'm not sure why she felt like she had to unlock the section the grounds go in while the machine was on, but the moment she did all heck broke loose (to those that might not know, an espresso machine operates under a significant amount of pressure for a home kitchen appliance). She learned the hard way you should always read the directions, while cleaning up every vertical surface in her kitchen.

@callmebobzilla, that is pretty hilarious. 🙂 Don't we all just love some kitchen science experiments?? 😄
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

DirtyCodingHabi
Level 9
OP reminds me of when I tried formatting my Windows XP with the XP Disc and instead of formatting C: Drive I ended up deleting it, lol. My curiosity was strong at what that option did.