cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCZ Agility 3 SSD with G75

Muskoka
Level 7
Has anyone successfully installed an OCZ Agility 3 as their SSD on an Asus G75?

My local computer shop has a really good deal going on, but I'm scared to buy it because of the problems other people have had between Asus and OCZ.
6 REPLIES 6

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Is it SATA 3? As far as I know the problems people have had here were with the newest on the marketplace OCZ unit ... as long as firmware is stable enough it should work.

What is a "really good deal" because the proven samsung and Intel ssds can be found at decent prices? If it is a really good deal it may be a used unit but thats not necessarily a deal breaker just something to be aware of.

Samsung SSDs are not sold in Canada unfortunately (unless they are being re-branded under a name I don't know about), and the Intel rebates are not being advertised in Canada right now.

It is a Sata 3, 480GB for $359.99. I was only planning on getting a 240GB one before I saw that deal.

All the American sites like Newegg.com, Amazon.com, etc say that they are not responsible for additional Customs Fees so I am really hesitant to buy through them. Newegg has a site called "newegg.ca" but it has different products/prices and does not carry the Samsung SSDs.

I'm only seeing one Intel 520 with a rebate and it is a 180GB for $279 (including the rebate) which is more than I think is reasonable per GB.

Muskoka wrote:
I'm only seeing one Intel 520 with a rebate and it is a 180GB for $279 (including the rebate) which is more than I think is reasonable per GB.

Microcenter has this one at $ 219 including rebate ( before tax etc ) ... I have 2 of them now one inside my G75VW.

Wow 480 gb SSD for 360??? That's a ton of storage for an SSD!

Theodor
Level 7
Have OCZ Agility 3 120GB running smoothly on the machine (750 GB running as secondary). That said, I lost my recovery partition in the process, and I've set up the machine with a clean Win 7 install. Don't miss the crapware though..

Wolffie80
Level 10
Me too. Same as Theodor. Lost my recovery partition though.
Mention on another tread. But i`ll post again:

If you download win 7 home premium from one of theese sites:

64 bit:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

32 bit
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

You need to download and make a copy of your system drivers as well on a usb/dvd.

REMEMBER to have it set your agility3 ssd with newest firmware before you start any install on it.

Open hdd cover. you need to take out original hdd. replase it with your ssd. (it need to be put into slot1)
(do not put in original drive before you have finished installing windows or you will get a error upon win install.)
After install you are free to insert original hdd (put it in secondery slot)
Install all you intel, vga driver etc

Voila!
Asus G75VW-T1031V
Intel Core i7-3610QM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M
8 GB 1600mhz
HDD#1 -> SSD OCZ Agility3 240gb
HDD#2 -> 750gb HDD 7200rpm
HDD#3 -> 320gb WD 5200rpm (external drive mounted on back of screen with ducktape! NOT :D)