cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes before buying G751 series

X-ROG
Level 15
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

> M.2 slot supports up to PCI-E 4x cards (like XP941)

> Only one of the drive bays has an optional M.2 slot. Both have SATA ports. You cannot run 2x 2.5" SSD + M.2 for example, but you can run 2x 2.5 inch or 1x 2.5 inch + 1x M.2. (The G771 can run 2x 2.5" + M.2 however!)

> The left drive bay (when flipped over) with both M.2 + SATA ports is the primary.

> Optical drive is held in by a single screw and uses a standard mobile SATA port.

> Remember to buy DDR3L (1.35V memory) when upgrading.

> You only have access to two SO-DIMM slots, so if you want to max out your memory (32GB) you have to buy a 16GB model to start with.

> You do not have access to the WiFi module.

> GTX 860M model is the only one with touchscreen.

> All models use IPS Full HD displays. 120/144Hz displays are supported over HDMI/DP (VG248Q for example).

> Four display outputs can all be used at once: laptop display + HDMI, DP and d-sub together.

> Each suffix-SKU (-DS/-CH/etc) spec is decided by country/retailer, not ASUS - please contact them, rather than ASUS, to confirm specific spec details. "what memory?" "what SSD?" etc
144 REPLIES 144

Nole3000 wrote:

In future I want to use another M.2 slot that is hidden under the motherboard, and not so easy to approach. It should be ripped apart completely.

Really??? I have searched very site and forum I know to have confirmation! But I found none... are you sure a second M.2 slot exists, buried somewhere?

toronto699
Level 13

Mublur
Level 7
That video had no information regarding compatible ddr3l sodimms NOR information on the bottom dimm slots

Of course everyone knows how to upgrade the slots on the bottom, they are on just about any ROG model behind the same kind of panel and besides the instructions are found on the manual as well

I am just wondering, how can asus sell a g751 model with "3 free slots" up to 32 gigs with only 8 populated, if you are only allowed to access the 2 slots under the cover without voiding your warranty. how can anyone ever upgrade to 32 if disassembling all the exterior and lifting up the keyboard voids the warranty?

This complaint applies to for example ASUS G751JY 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX980/8/1000/W8.1, ASUS G751JT 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX970/8/256SSD+1000/W8.1 and ASUS G750JZ 17,3"FHD 4710HQ/GTX880M/8/750+8SSD/BT/W8.1

toronto699
Level 13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUGGFX4Bx0 if your unhappy with asus buy an apple i have an asus G751-JY-DH72X with 32g ram

Mublur
Level 7
lol, perhaps you should refrain from answering unless you have some *information* regarding my questions? of course i have browsed through the videos where they tear the thing down showing how you can access the ram sticks under the keyboard.

i own a g75vw and have been very happy with it. you don't have to get butthurt because i'm asking a completely justified question: how does asus expect me to add 3x8gb of ram to a g751 model which has 4 slots of which just ONE has a 8 gig stick without voiding the warranty?

if i wanted an overpriced slab of aluminium from apple, why would i be here?

QC_AGENT
Level 7
I don't get the whole problem about the RAM. My understanding was that the computer already has 3 x 8 Gb and a slot available. So you just add 1 x 8 Gb to reach 32. Whats the big controversy?

QC_AGENT wrote:
I don't get the whole problem about the RAM. My understanding was that the computer already has 3 x 8 Gb and a slot available. So you just add 1 x 8 Gb to reach 32. Whats the big controversy?

Well, the problem is that where I live, the shops seem to offer only models with 8gb preinstalled and 3 empty slots. This applies to models: G751JY-T7015H, G751JY-T7004H and G751JT-T7010H which are sold in the nordic market.

So if opening up the entire chassis for accessing the one free slot under the keyboard voids the warranty, I don't understand how it can be sold as "up to 32gb with 3 free slots".

It seems funny, though I think buying one 16gb stick and one 8gb stick should work without any hiccups when installed to the bottom "user serviceable slots".

Also, wondering whether the kingston ddr3l cl11 ram compatible with g750 works also with 751 🙂

Thanks for any hints on these issues!

QC_AGENT
Level 7
My local Asus retailer did not even had any G751, I ordered it from NewEgg. However, if your local store sell ASUS Laptop they certainly can service it as well and install it for you. It's unfortunate to pay for the labor but it preserves the warranty

QC_AGENT
Level 7
What is the motherboard type embedded in the G751-JY? Z87 or Z97 kind? Can we have more information in this matter?

Mublur
Level 7
QC_AGENT: I think it is Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset, so a year older than Z97 with 2,7W tdp