cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes before buying G751 series

X-ROG
Level 15
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

> M.2 slot supports up to PCI-E 4x cards (like XP941)

> Only one of the drive bays has an optional M.2 slot. Both have SATA ports. You cannot run 2x 2.5" SSD + M.2 for example, but you can run 2x 2.5 inch or 1x 2.5 inch + 1x M.2. (The G771 can run 2x 2.5" + M.2 however!)

> The left drive bay (when flipped over) with both M.2 + SATA ports is the primary.

> Optical drive is held in by a single screw and uses a standard mobile SATA port.

> Remember to buy DDR3L (1.35V memory) when upgrading.

> You only have access to two SO-DIMM slots, so if you want to max out your memory (32GB) you have to buy a 16GB model to start with.

> You do not have access to the WiFi module.

> GTX 860M model is the only one with touchscreen.

> All models use IPS Full HD displays. 120/144Hz displays are supported over HDMI/DP (VG248Q for example).

> Four display outputs can all be used at once: laptop display + HDMI, DP and d-sub together.

> Each suffix-SKU (-DS/-CH/etc) spec is decided by country/retailer, not ASUS - please contact them, rather than ASUS, to confirm specific spec details. "what memory?" "what SSD?" etc
144 REPLIES 144

Vicerox
Level 7
I do not believe, I've seen any replicas of the ROG laptop batteries. Besides, if the battery dies within 2 years the G751 machine is finished. Not a great investment.

Unfortunately, the G771 sacrifices the entire design/specs of the G751 to provide a replacement battery.

Everything from the reliable ROG touch pad, to the heating system and GPU options are gone in the G771.

I wish ASUS ROG would consider a release of a 15 inch model (with a replacement battery), based on the G751 design. 😞

I intend to upgrade from a G55VW and this is a hard pill to swallow.

Sharobious
Level 7
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

...So "Upgrade support" = an M.2 bracket? Meaning I either have to purchase the $2500-3000 version for a bracket or rig something up? Is that a joke? When will "Support" be available for me to safely utilize a feature that comes with the laptop? They did the same B.S. with older models as well. If Asus wanted to penny pinch or get a little extra cash from consumers; fine, but to not have it available at all for an undetermined amount of time is pathetic.

Sharobious wrote:
...So "Upgrade support" = an M.2 bracket? Meaning I either have to purchase the $2500-3000 version for a bracket or rig something up? Is that a joke? When will "Support" be available for me to safely utilize a feature that comes with the laptop? They did the same B.S. with older models as well. If Asus wanted to penny pinch or get a little extra cash from consumers; fine, but to not have it available at all for an undetermined amount of time is pathetic.

That is really poor service. 😞

Sharobious wrote:

+1 , it's just silly.

Sharobious wrote:

Surely some will turn up on ebay.

Do you have Any of ASUS N751 G751 OR G771 With FHD IPS Glossy Screen
Because I really hate matte display AND I will be forced to buy LENOVO Y70

MHaensel
Level 7
The Best Buy G751JM touch-screen model is rumored to have a glossy display. You might call them to confirm, or check in person if there's a BB near you.

ndrelim
Level 7
Hello Sir,

I purchased g751jt, but it comes with dvd drive. is there any possibility for me to upgrade it to blu-ray in the future ?
Thankyou

Mublur
Level 7
There is no information regarding compatible memory types for the G751 on Kingston's website. Does anyone know if KVR16LS11/8 is compatible (it is 1,35v)?

Also Corsair memory finder lacks G751JY and the entire G751 series.

Also, since only 2 ram slots are directly accessible, how hard is it to tear down the laptop in order to change dimms in the lower slots?

Mublur wrote:
There is no information regarding compatible memory types for the G751 on Kingston's website. Does anyone know if KVR16LS11/8 is compatible (it is 1,35v)?

Also Corsair memory finder lacks G751JY and the entire G751 series.

Also, since only 2 ram slots are directly accessible, how hard is it to tear down the laptop in order to change dimms in the lower slots?

It is not too hard, if you show some skills. First gently pull out all rubber seals over the screws. Than unscrew them, and flip it bottom down. Make sure that all screws are out, before. Than use some plastic card, credit card alike and take off the back cover, behind the screen lid. Try not to scratch any surface. After you remove it, open the lid, and startting from right corner, facing the lid, using credit alike card, separate cover from the base, slowly and gently, one by one plastic latch at the time, all the way to the other corner, to the left side. DO NOT PULL COVER WITH KEYBOARD UP IMMEDIATELY!!! This is important, since there are 4 flat cables connecting keyboard, front led panel, touchpad, and power button with the motherboard below. Lift it slowly up, and try not to rip the cables. There you will see two hidden RAM DDR3L slots. If you do everything correctly you will finish upgrading within 20-30 minutes, and if you take care you will not leave any trails and scratches. I did it this way. My G751JY was with just 8Gb, now it has 32Gb. I seen before this upgrading notes, so I decided also to buy a model with M.2 SSD of 256Gb and 1Tb HDD, however, I replaced second HDD with Samsung's 1Tb SSD to avoid rotating disks inside moving unit. It works flawless. In future I want to use another M.2 slot that is hidden under the motherboard, and not so easy to approach. It should be ripped apart completely, but I simply love to do it 🙂 as guyz from XOTIC PC, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUGGFX4Bx0 , at 18,44 you'll se how it looks opened. Glad if I helped somehow. I love ASUS, and after my poor experience with Toshiba's Qosmio X870 Black Widow, this is fantastic feeling to have an ASUS in hands again.