cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes before buying G751 series

X-ROG
Level 15
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

> M.2 slot supports up to PCI-E 4x cards (like XP941)

> Only one of the drive bays has an optional M.2 slot. Both have SATA ports. You cannot run 2x 2.5" SSD + M.2 for example, but you can run 2x 2.5 inch or 1x 2.5 inch + 1x M.2. (The G771 can run 2x 2.5" + M.2 however!)

> The left drive bay (when flipped over) with both M.2 + SATA ports is the primary.

> Optical drive is held in by a single screw and uses a standard mobile SATA port.

> Remember to buy DDR3L (1.35V memory) when upgrading.

> You only have access to two SO-DIMM slots, so if you want to max out your memory (32GB) you have to buy a 16GB model to start with.

> You do not have access to the WiFi module.

> GTX 860M model is the only one with touchscreen.

> All models use IPS Full HD displays. 120/144Hz displays are supported over HDMI/DP (VG248Q for example).

> Four display outputs can all be used at once: laptop display + HDMI, DP and d-sub together.

> Each suffix-SKU (-DS/-CH/etc) spec is decided by country/retailer, not ASUS - please contact them, rather than ASUS, to confirm specific spec details. "what memory?" "what SSD?" etc
487 Views
144 REPLIES 144

Vicerox
Level 7
Will there be a model that has a replaceable battery?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/g751-upgrade-guide-batt.jpg

The integrated battery, seems like a poor decision.

Vicerox wrote:
Will there be a model that has a replaceable battery?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/g751-upgrade-guide-batt.jpg

The integrated battery, seems like a poor decision.


Especially after the power problems the G750 series keeps popping up with.

X-ROG
Level 15
Integrated batteries are increasingly the norm for notebooks due to modern design constraints, and the fact that we find few people come to us to buy replacements outside of business contracts, AND there are a lot of poorly made 3rd party ones that can damage the product.

The G771 series has a removable battery if you really must have one.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Integrated batteries are increasingly the norm for notebooks due to modern design constraints, and the fact that we find few people come to us to buy replacements outside of business contracts, AND there are a lot of poorly made 3rd party ones that can damage the product.

The G771 series has a removable battery if you really must have one.


The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 

Sanctrum wrote:
The possibility of fast battery removal is ESSENTIAL to save the laptop from any damage in case of accidental flooding (with cola, beer, wine, water, etc.)!!!
My old gaming laptop in its 4 years history has been flooded two times by my wife. Without my fast reaction and battery removal I would end with the bricked unit…
Looks like ASUS wants us to “enjoy” G751 till the first accident with beer 


i agree with you.. should at least put a mechanical switch or an easy to detach cable that is accessible on the service bay, to cut power directly from the battery to avoid short on a water damage. This is an SOP on all electrical devices in a case of a water damage..

I think i can mod this to add a mechanical switch to cut power from the battery directly 😉

dapogz wrote:
...
I think i can mod this to add a mechanical switch to cut power from the battery directly 😉


I was thinking the same way. The problem is I can't spot any disassembly guide of G751 yet. Or just how the battery attachment cord looks like and where it is connected. Some pictures... or better step by step pictures 😄 Till then, I will restrain from buying G751 or maybe I will consider G750JY or other producer's laptop with gtx 980M instead.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Integrated batteries are increasingly the norm for notebooks due to modern design constraints, and the fact that we find few people come to us to buy replacements outside of business contracts, AND there are a lot of poorly made 3rd party ones that can damage the product.

The G771 series has a removable battery if you really must have one.


II "really must" have a removable battery. I opted for ordering a G750JZ through Amazon. We are not Apple people. We are gamers and hardware geeks. We don't care what the increasing norm is. This is your market. Innovate, don't imitate.

Hello, everyone! Just bought the ASUS G751JL yesterday from Best Buy and I'm pretty pleased, so far. Prior to that, I bought the GL771J - but hated the dark keyboard, side exhaust fan, and lack of touch-screen. Anyway, my wife stopped me from returning the GL771J and laid claim to it ("where's MY gaming laptop?). Okay, I have a dumb question coming from a non-typer - HOW do you turn on the NUM Lock key on the G751JL? I tried pressing the shift key, alt key, and ctrl key... but, nothing! Help a lost gamer, will ya?

Update: Never mind - I figured out it was the fn key + num lock!

Megatron63 wrote:
Hello, everyone! Just bought the ASUS G751JL yesterday from Best Buy and I'm pretty pleased, so far. Prior to that, I bought the GL771J - but hated the dark keyboard, side exhaust fan, and lack of touch-screen. Anyway, my wife stopped me from returning the GL771J and laid claim to it ("where's MY gaming laptop?). Okay, I have a dumb question coming from a non-typer - HOW do you turn on the NUM Lock key on the G751JL? I tried pressing the shift key, alt key, and ctrl key... but, nothing! Help a lost gamer, will ya?

Update: Never mind - I figured out it was the fn key + num lock!


Congrats on your purchase. The g751 is far superior to the 771 but be aware we are a few months away from a g752 not that theres anything wrong with a g751 i just wanted to make you aware so you dont have buyers remorse later when you cant return it. Some great upgrades for the g751 are g skill 2133 ram and a pcie SM951 when/if you want to go down that route. Cooling pads are not necessary but i use one myself and most cases wont fit but the asus rog 17+ backpacks work well. Please do a search before you make a new thread most questions have been answered elsewhere.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

th3d0ctor
Level 7
Hi ! I've got a few questions regarding the battery . Let's say the battery is drained . I plug it to AC and it will keep charging until it reaches 100% . But what happens after that ? The laptop's going to keep running on AC ? When's the next charge going to start ? We all know batteries drain after a while if not used . Is the laptop going to keep the battery in a 99% - 100% discharge-charge cycle ? Or is it possible to manually set a percentage at which the recharge occurs ? Also , in the case of a 100% charged laptop , plugged to AC , is it possible for the laptop to use the battery during AC usage ?