cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner G74SX-DH72

tgmlab
Level 7
Wanted to let people know that I have had my machine for over 2 weeks. Had no issue with the origianl setup. Did a complete wipe of the SSD and installed Windows Ultimate with the updated ASUS Drivers found thru this forum. Purchased PowerDVD 12 Ultimate for Blueray and DVD playback and Power2Go 8 Platinum for my burning software and have no known issues at this time. A satisfied G74 Owner:D

*G74SX-DH72 i7 w/ Core i7-2670QM, 16GB, 160GB SSD, 750GB, Blu-ray Combo, 17.3in LED Full HD, GeForce GTX 560M, Win 7 Ultimete 64-bit*
25 REPLIES 25

fostert
Level 12
Great to hear success stories! Mine too has been going strong for 3 months with nary an issue. Sometimes wonder if our G74s are in the minority...
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

tgmlab wrote:
Wanted to let people know that I have had my machine for over 2 weeks. Had no issue with the origianl setup. Did a complete wipe of the SSD and installed Windows Ultimate with the updated ASUS Drivers found thru this forum. Purchased PowerDVD 12 Ultimate for Blueray and DVD playback and Power2Go 8 Platinum for my burning software and have no known issues at this time. A satisfied G74 Owner:D

*G74SX-DH72 i7 w/ Core i7-2670QM, 16GB, 160GB SSD, 750GB, Blu-ray Combo, 17.3in LED Full HD, GeForce GTX 560M, Win 7 Ultimete 64-bit*

This post is like sunshine after the rain.. Few times we hear from satisfied owners,
as this Forum is bombarded time and again with problems. Enjoy your G74! 🙂

fostert wrote:
Great to hear success stories! Mine too has been going strong for 3 months with nary an issue. Sometimes wonder if our G74s are in the minority...

I would like to believe we're in the majority.. Perhaps most satisfied owners just hover over the Forums
for tips and updates, and don't bother to post. I just wish more success stories are posted to balance or
tip the scales as opposed to the "problem" posts..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

my G74 is working with no problems, so i'm happy too 🙂
thank you Asus, btw this is a great forum. a lot of nice people here.

Coming up on the 2 week mark myself as a new owner G74sx-nh71. Small things, nothing major, but isnt that with almost EVERYTHING you buy. Only real bug I had was with the Atheros wifi card dropping me while gaming 4-5 times an hour. Simple fix was to set the connection to 802.11 b/g instead of Auto, havent been dropped since. I did, however, order the Intel 6230 card from Amazon which should be here today actually. I'm not really sure I needed to but enough people here chimed in with it being a good idea for ~$35 so I went with it.

Running SWTOR/WOW wide open and loving it. I have to say I am a HUGE fan of the Full HD (1920 x 1080) matte finish display too. Its just so damn crystal clear compaired to any monitor I have used in the past. The quest mini cut-scenes in SWTOR are like looking at glossy comic book pages, amazes me everytime. Then again, I am used to running on low end gear, this is my first real high performance system.
G74sx-NH71
Intel Core i7 2670QM, 2.2Ghz
12GB Ram
500GB HDD @ 7200 rpm
Nvidia GTX 560m 3gb (285.79 driver)

Kanigit wrote:
Only real bug I had was with the Atheros wifi card dropping me while gaming 4-5 times an hour. Simple fix was to set the connection to 802.11 b/g instead of Auto. I ordered the Intel 6230 card from Amazon which should be here today actually.

You shouldn't have to downgrade to 802.11g speeds to get a stable connection. If you run an 802.11n network, like most people, you should definitely be able to take advantage of that and get a pretty solid 150Mbps.

BrodyBoy wrote:
You shouldn't have to downgrade to 802.11g speeds to get a stable connection. If you run an 802.11n network, like most people, you should definitely be able to take advantage of that and get a pretty solid 150Mbps.

That's the thing, I dont run 802.11n. Why it was dumping when set to auto I dont know but it seems others have various issues with the Atheros card as well. The change stopped the drops but new Intel 6230 card will be here today so I don't plan on fighting with it. Bigger battles to fight in other areas of my life ya know. I just wanna play my damn games and relax.
G74sx-NH71
Intel Core i7 2670QM, 2.2Ghz
12GB Ram
500GB HDD @ 7200 rpm
Nvidia GTX 560m 3gb (285.79 driver)

Kanigit wrote:
That's the thing, I dont run 802.11n. Why it was dumping when set to auto I dont know but it seems others have various issues with the Atheros card as well. The change stopped the drops but new Intel 6230 card will be here today so I don't plan on fighting with it. Bigger battles to fight in other areas of my life ya know. I just wanna play my damn games and relax.

I have a recently bought G53SX with the exact same issue (apart from the damn BIOS bug that throttles the CPU..). Networking is sadly on my weaker side of tech knowledge. Where exactly do i turn off "auto" on the Atheros card? It's really annoying that the damn thing keeps dropping me AS SOON as i start to game online (BF3,Swtor etc.). Also, i was sure i was running 802.11n, but maybe im not :S Got 100/100 at home and a D-Link Dir-855 dual band router.

Hoping for a fast response!

//Mike

dstrakele
Level 14
RIght click on your Atheros Wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Then choose the "Advanced" tab and change your "Wireless Mode Selection".

However, I think you should update your Atheros driver to version 9.2.1.432 or later. The stock version has notorious DPC Latency that could contribute to your disconnections.

I also recommend configuring your router and Windows to use "WPA2-Personal" Security and "AES" Encrpytion if you continue to have problems with "N" protocol disconnections.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
RIght click on your Atheros Wireless Network Adapter in Device Manager and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Then choose the "Advanced" tab and change your "Wireless Mode Selection".

However, I think you should update your Atheros driver to version 9.2.1.432 or later. The stock version has notorious DPC Latency that could contribute to your disconnections.

I also recommend configuring your router and Windows to use "WPA2-Personal" Security and "AES" Encrpytion if you continue to have problems with "N" protocol disconnections.

I actually found it right away before checking back in here. But thanks alot anyway, i'm updating the drivers as we speak, and will check the stuff you mentioned if i keep having problems.