cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New/old notebook? Look here!

fuzon1337
Level 10
Every day the ROG forum grows with new members, and they got either issues with their new notebook, or questions about how to get the best performance off their new beast!

In this thread I will give you some advice about where to start with your notebook.

[Optional]
If you got a new notebook or have an old one that doesn't work properly as you want it to do, the best thing is to make a factory restore.
For that you don't need a recovery cd to do it since there is a hidden partition (as long you haven't deleted that partition) in your notebook with the recovery settings on.

When your booting up your notebook, hit F9 when you see the Asus logo, then you should be able to access the hidden partition and then you can choose between different "modes" how you want to reinstall your notebook.

Choose the option that you prefer your notebook to be installed like then follow the steps from there.

Or you can download the Win 7 file and do a clean install from there:

JRd1st wrote:

Windows 7 Home Premium w/SP1 Integrated ISO
(burn to DVD with Windows Disk Image Burner for install disk, use activation code on label under notebook)

After a clean install you may want to install some drivers back on your system:
BrodyBoy wrote:
This is the basic driver set:

Chipset driver
Intel RST
Intel MEI
Fresco USB 3.0
nVidia Graphics
Realtek LAN
Realtek cardreader
WLAN (Atheros or Intel, depending on your machine)
Asus ATK Package
Touchpoad (not absolutely essential, since the generic MS drivers is quite functional)
Bluetooth (if present and needed)
Realtek audio (not absolutely essential, depending on your usage)

[/optional]

Applications that you don't need (bloatware) is good described in this other FORUM.
So if you want to get rid of programs that you don't know what is, or not sure if you need it, that site is a good site to start on 🙂
(It's recommended to have P4G utility, but you don't have to use that program. If you want the features of the FN keys (and backlight in KB if you got) the ATK package is the only program you need then).

Then you should do some update on your notebook to get the latest drivers, and the Windows Update utility is a good place to start.
Begin the updates from Microsoft Update utility and let it go on by it self in the background, when you're waiting for the updates to finish, you could start download other software for your graphic card, chipset, processor, WIFI card, touchpad drivers and so on.

Graphics:

Chipset/processor:

Other programs/applications:

If you need AV/security programs I recommend:

I hope this gives you an idea of where you can start with your notebook if you got issues 🙂

Feel free to comment, or if you got some questions about this information.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205
66 REPLIES 66

MinhMMK
Level 7
I just checked my G53SW 😄 it has one 2GB Ram and one 4GB Ram on Slot 1 and Slot 3. So is it still possible 😄 I'm not really good at this.
Asus ROG G53SW-XN1 - Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.00GHz - 10GB Memory - 500GB HDD 7200rpm - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB OC 795/750/1590

fuzon1337
Level 10
Okey then it's possible for you to get 10GB RAM 🙂 So you're running dual channel mode now then 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

MinhMMK
Level 7
That's right :). So do i have to mess with the BIOS when i insert my 3rd ram ?
Asus ROG G53SW-XN1 - Intel Core i7 2630QM 2.00GHz - 10GB Memory - 500GB HDD 7200rpm - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB OC 795/750/1590

fuzon1337
Level 10
Nope, not that I can think of..... when buy the 4G just be sure it's 4GB and not 2x2=4GB (sticks on 2GB) then you will fill all the slots.

After you have inserted them you should make sure that they work as they should 🙂

EDIT: You can then go to BIOS and check there and use HWInfo 64 or something like that to check it 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

MinhMMK
Level 7
Another quenstion: I did OC my 460M a little at 795 (core) /1425 (mem) /1590 (shader). the GPU's temperature is around 47-50 Celsius stand by and around 81-83 Celsius when gaming. Is it normal ?

fuzon1337
Level 10
These temp seems normal, but just be aware that this can shorten the lifte of your notebook, and if any damage is set because of this then your warranty is voided if I'm not wrong
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

MinhMMK
Level 7
I understand the risk 😄 thank you so much. I just ordered a 4GB RAM Stick from Corsair :D.