cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New (?) G751 missing default preinstalls

truth999
Level 8
I posted this over at Notebookforum, but I thought this was a better place for my question.

Yesterday, I went out and bought a G751JY-DB72 as an upgrade from my five-year-old G73JH.

The system in question was an open box, which means I got a 5% discount on top of a $500 price match.

When I got it home, I discovered it had already been updated to Windows 10 from the 8.1 it was supposed to have. That doesn't bother me.

What I am curious about is the fact the system seems to be missing all of the pre-installed Asus software/tools/whatnot.

My question is this: should I be happy about this or should I complain to the store where I bought it?

As far as I could tell, it was a clean Windows 10 install on the unit.
12 REPLIES 12

toronto699
Level 13

toronto699 wrote:
u got what u paid for an open box used laptop

http://support.asus.com/download/ModelList.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g751&type=1

I'd agree with you except I was assured that the opened system would have been thoroughly checked and returned to factory settings.

There's nothing actually wrong with it as far as I can tell (I intend to do some benchmarking this evening).

I'm just curious whether having the clean Win 10 install is even a bad thing? I mean, am I really missing anything important without the preinstalled software?

Thank you for the link, I'll double check whether there are missing drivers when I'm not at work. I'm pretty certain those are present, but it's the utilities I'm uncertain about. I've seen several people suggest a clean install is the best way to go..

Yes the ATK package, Chipset drivers, IRST Drivers, IME, your WiFi will probably work better on Asus drivers. Someone linked you too the location of all these drivers.
So much for what your Vendor told you that it was as sent from factory. Test it thoroughly most likely it was retuned to them a defective and there reselling it to you. TEST TEST Test insure everything is working well before you return to vendor period expires.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

toronto699
Level 13
install everything Clintlgm suggested
W10 is not a bad thing just be sure u have the G751 W10 drivers Clintlgm suggested.
The W10 ATK package is Very Important
W10 Touch Pad very Important
W10 Asus Macro Key mapper
just go down the driver list and check the version # with whats installed now if that would take to long
start at Chipset and start installing ,

Great, thanks! I'll see what's missing and install what you've suggested.

I also intend to run the standard gamut of benchmarking tools to confirm there's nothing wrong.

I'll post the results here to see if they're within the right range for this system.

On the upside, I did a 195 gig transfer from a portable HDD using the left-side USB ports, and that worked fine, so I don't seem to have that problem.

Yea on the left USB port. Its a good Idea to download all your drivers and then take your computer off the internet to install the drivers. Win 10 want to install their generic drivers only way to prevent them is to unplug from the internet while you install.
to install chip set drivers
create a folder called Chip on the root of your C: drive
extract the chip set driver to that folder you created Chip
From the search bar or window type CMD and right click on command prompt, select run as administrator
type CD C:
C: Chip
setup.exe
You'll see the installer open up and update the inf files.
If you don't do it this way and only click on the setup.exe the installer will open up and say al the inf files are installed you won't see them install because they haven't installed.
The rest are pretty straight up.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

frewi
Level 7
Hey just thought I'd pop'n and say if you are in US & Europe and want OEM disks check out

US - http://us.estore.asus.com/

European - https://serviceshop.asus.com/

(read there About page if your unsure of there real sources)

and the reason i recommend OEM disks is diagnoses of hardware and software in case anything goes south - like for example i saw your thread on notebook review forums but
couldn't reply has I was re-installing my OEM system cause I might be sending my G74SX for repairs of audio jack and dvd rom replacement
-
at least i think they sell them although I'd call instead of just search just to be truly sure ..and to be honest they should sell them in my opinion although anyway I Wish you luck with your
new laptop :cool:
If I'm helpful please let me know for that i know i'm doing good or else tell me for i can improve! 😛

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I spent the evening updating drivers and running benchmarks. While the drivers you suggested weren't all up to date on my system, most were relatively recent, and the updates seem to have gone fine.

The only utilities apps I downloaded were the Macro Keys one recommended by Toronto699 and the Asus Live Update App (which didn't ping on anything outdated, so I don't know how useful it is.)

I downloaded the chipset, ATK, audio, vga, touchpad, and wireless drivers from the link provided. Clintlgm, thanks for the chipset advice. I can't believe how ridiculously rusty I am with the DOS prompt. I guess if you don't use it, you lose it, eh?

As a side note, this is my first experience with an SSD; the days of dreading restarts are gone!

I also did some benchmarking, as noted below. Some scores are quite a bit higher than what I've seen in reviews and elsewhere on forums (The two PCMark tests) while some are a bit lower (Most of the 3DMark tests). Others are nearly identical (Cinebench & 3DMark Fire Strike).

PCMark Vantage - 19425

PCMark 7 - 6961

Furmark - SCORE:3457 points (57 FPS, 60000 ms) Max GPU temp: 67 C

3DMark11 - P10769

3DMark Fire Strike - 8416

3DMark Sky Diver - 14608

3DMark Cloud Gate - 12768

3DMark Ice Storm - 18322

Cinebench R15 CPU Multicore Test - 663 cb

Cinebench R15 CPU Single core Test - 138 cb MP Ratio 4.82 x

Cinebench R15 OpenGL Test - 73.94 fps 99.6% ref match

Bioshock Infinite Ultra DX11 w/DDOF - 72.79 fps

After all the great advice, I have to ask one more question: do you have any other recommended benchmarks to see if this thing's up to snuff?

@Frewi, I'm in Canada, so I don't know how much help those will be, but I agree with you that the OEM disks should be provided. They used to be many years ago.

The G75VW were the last to get a recovery disk you could buy!! We had a program that nagged you until you made a set of DVDs or a BD recovery set. Thanks for the rep points
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro