cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G75 owner - Antivirus/Malware choices

ChoaticRobotic
Level 7
Hello,

I'm new to ROG Forum, been lurking for a few weeks. I've had a macbook pro for 6 years and I'm now switching to a G75. Being a mac user has not made me ignorant to Windows, I actually use Windows a lot for school (I want to be a Game Dev). But at school the computers run deep freeze, so I have no experience with antivirus software. So what do you use? Should I buy software or is the free stuff just as good? Would you recommend using more than one, like two or three?

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

soulctcher
Level 9
There are a number of choices out there, but one thing is certain, you'll want a combination of products. Personally, I use Avast and MalwareBytes on my machines...have for years. They're both free and do the job well. Others will have their preferences as well, and I'm sure they're just as valid.

soulctcher wrote:
There are a number of choices out there, but one thing is certain, you'll want a combination of products. Personally, I use Avast and MalwareBytes on my machines...have for years. They're both free and do the job well. Others will have their preferences as well, and I'm sure they're just as valid.

+1 for this combo.

I've used this combo for years and Have given it to everyone I know who want a free solution, never an issue.

desailly
Level 7
i use a free avira antivirus ... it has occasional pop ups but its still free and nevertheless pretty good to use IMHO

desailly wrote:
i use a free avira antivirus ... it has occasional pop ups but its still free and nevertheless pretty good to use IMHO

Same here. For a light user it is a anti virus wich is good and uses hardly no resourses. Have been happy with this for a few years now 🙂
Asus G75VW-T1031V
Intel Core i7-3610QM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M
8 GB 1600mhz
HDD#1 -> SSD OCZ Agility3 240gb
HDD#2 -> 750gb HDD 7200rpm
HDD#3 -> 320gb WD 5200rpm (external drive mounted on back of screen with ducktape! NOT :D)

MaXimus711
Level 10
I bought BitDefender Internet Security 2013 2 years license from a local store for only 25 USD 🙂 very light and excellent protection

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Like soulcatcher noted ... at this time the windows environment is so nasty that you probably want a combination of products.

I also like Malware Bytes Anti Malware for my 2nd product and it integrates well with my 1st choice Norton Internet Security ( NIS ) 2012 which has both antivirus/firewall etc.

Do some looking around at the reputable places that review these products and check out the ratings/etc.

Have a tested and proven backup solution in place "just in case" all the protection efforts prove ineffective!

*** Just to note ... when having more than 1 product some combinations do not work well if at all together.

MPelissari
Level 7
I use Kaspersky Pure 2.0, runs with very low requirements and doesn't stress the laptop at all...
ASUS G75VW-TS72 Bios 207- Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD + 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M.

kiba
Level 10
i use pandaGP2012 antivirus/firewall and malwarebytes for malware, but i used to use AdAware too, but im not sure if its valid anymore.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

PC_744
Level 7
I'm using ESET Smart Security 5 and what I can tell you is : It's awesome. It's fast, light, smooth, and very powerful. I recommend that you give ESET A try. You download a free trail for 30 Days!. You won't be disappointed I used it for years now and everything is working fine. 🙂
Ahh, how I miss the old days.