cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G73JH Owner - baffled, will not shutdown completely, sleep, or hibernate

Macadoo
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a used G73JH. I must say I'm impressed with the design. The case is robust, the screen bright and clear, and I feel like I could carry this thing around by the screen and not harm the hinges!
However, I'm having a perplexing issue. The unit will not shut completely down, go into sleep mode, nor hybernate. It will restart but seems to take a long time, although that might be the design? Windows (7) isn't hanging, it's just not giving the power down command to the machine. The screen goes black, the keyboard lights go off but all the blue lights stay on as well as the fan and power button. I can, of course, hold the power button for a few seconds and it will power down. Upon restarting, I get no windows errors so windows is definitely shutting down. And the fans seem to run a little fast for idle temps (37-40*c). I will bullet point my trouble shooting so far:

1. Event viewer shows nothing unusual
2. CHKDSK /f reports no errors
3. sfc /scannow reports no errors
4. two clean installs from the existing restore partition made no difference
5. swapped in known good HDD and installed Windows 7 from a DVD from another computer - no change
6. Flashed BIOS to 213 - n change
7. Played with boot order in BIOS - no change
8. uninstalled LAN controller
9. removed DVD drive and uninstalled
10. tried the no bat, no ac adapter, hold power button for 30 - all no change
11. nothing external hooked to unit
12. I just discovered while writing this that the headphone jack is non-functional
13. Changing the desktop background image resets to default (two units back-to-back) upon restart
14. Tried installing Windows 10 - no change
15. updated all drivers - still no change.
16. Ran Ccleaner which found some registry errors but still no change.

I completely disassembled the unit, cleaned it all up (it wasn't bad), re-pasted the heat sinks (pretty dried out), but discovered the fan power connectors would not come loose. No pinching, prying, pulling would get them out and I destroyed one (fan end) getting it out. Maybe that signifies an overheating event? While in there I pulled the foil from the back of the touchpad so it works pretty well now. Task manager shows all processors working, nothing parked as far as I can tell.

This machine was a major upgrade for me so I'm motivated to get it right. I need either "sleep" or "hibernate" mode to make it usable for me.
I should mention here that when I recieved the unit, it was boxed in the original packaging, inside the original shipping box from ASUS so it was well cared for (apparently). It had Windows 10 on it when I powered it on for [my] first time and it powered off just fine. However, the DVD drive wasn't recognized by windows. I figured it was a Windows 10 issue and that's when I did the first clean install from the restore partition. I now had the DVD drive but also the shutdown issue. The original owner (now an e-friend) said he didn't do anything special, he didn't have this issue.
It seems like hardware to me, rather than software, and I'm leaning toward the motherboard. Maybe it was manhandled during the holiday shipping? No damage to the boxes though. And close inspection didn't uncover any scorch, cracks, or bulging caps (although my eyes aren't what they used to be, lol).

Thoughts? Something I'm missing?

Many thanks 🙂
-Mac
9 REPLIES 9

Macadoo
Level 7
I replaced the motherboard today and all is well. Although I did lose my keyboard lights. I'm hoping they will come back upon reinstalling windows. Of course Windows is saying I have an illegitimate copy because of the motherboard change. I'm hoping reinstalling will also solve this.
Thanks for all the views 🙂

Thanks C4, I called Microsoft and got it authorized with a new code and I found the BIOS keyboard flash fix and was lucky enough that it worked. It's finally a whole machine now and I love it! Since I now have a clean, legal install I went ahead and made a backup image in case I goof something up. Which is inevitable for me, lol.
Thanks again. Cool forum you have here.

C4RN1
Level 9
I've always said the best part about Asus ROG is the community. I try to help the community the best I can because sadly everyone knows Asus support is lacking in many areas (to put it nicely). We do have the customer loyalty team that tries to resolve more complex issues, but the help desk and main support lines aren't qualified or trained well and it completely ruins the experience.

Glad you resolved your issue, the G73 is still considered to be a pretty decent machine.

C4RN1 wrote:

Glad you resolved your issue, the G73 is still considered to be a pretty decent machine.

It amazes me to no end, that the G73 is still being discussed and praised! Not that it doesn't deserve it, but by notebook standards it is a dinosaur. :cool:

I keep checking out this forum for new insights into the G73, and it usually is worthwhile. 😄
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

So I upgraded to a dinosaur from a precambrian unit. Lol, I'm okay with that.

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hi.

Just thought i'd ask. You mentioned previously that you are running Windows 7. Have any plans to try putting Windows 10 on it again? Just wondering how things are running on Windows 10 with your G73JH?

Also, curious as to where you got your replacement MOBO from and what made you replace it?

Thanks!

Macadoo
Level 7
The unit had W10 on it when I got it. It seemed to run fine but the DVD drive wasn't being recognized. I tried everything I knew but finally decided in was a W10 issue and reformatted/restored from the HDD. That's when everything went bonkers.
The motherboard I purchased was pulled from a "New" (?) JH machine so wasn't technically newly manufactured but the exact same board with the latest BIOS. But everything is working great now and I even purchased a Clevo 6970m graphics card. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound.

Macadoo
Level 7
The unit had W10 on it when I got it. It seemed to run fine but the DVD drive wasn't being recognized. I tried everything I knew but finally decided in was a W10 issue and reformatted/restored from the HDD. That's when everything went bonkers.
The motherboard I purchased was pulled from a "New" (?) JH machine so wasn't technically newly manufactured but the exact same board with the latest BIOS. But everything is working great now and I even purchased a Clevo 6970m graphics card. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound.