cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Battery charge time???

fredinho71990
Level 7
Hi there, i just get my asus G74SX-BBK11, ok here is my cuestion, i turn on ,was the first time, I configure my user account, but I put it to charge inmediatly, and after the battery was at 100% i used 1h 30m, after that y put it to charge with the laptop torn off 6h more, with everything what i did, does affect the battery? off course the battery was new.
Because i read the battery should get charge inmediatly 6H, I'm right?
3 REPLIES 3

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi there. At this time, I think you're beginning to understand the idiosyncrasies
of owning a laptop like ours..:) Our G74s are built to have the AC adapter to be
at stand by all the time. Don't worry, it afflicts us all- an hour and a half of battery
use for our G-Series laptops is within the norm..

Thing is, our G74s draw so much power we need the AC outlet as fast as we can..
(Especially if you're a gamer.) It's supposed to be a gaming laptop, isn't it?..

But if you're feeling "shortchanged" with how the battery operates, you may try this:
(Go to) Control Panel > Power Options > Calibrator, (calibrate your battery).
Just follow what Windows asks you to do.

Thing is, at the end, you'll come to the conclusion that the G74 battery is actually
nothing but just an "emergency light in case of brownout"..

Welcome!.. and may your stay in the Forums be beneficial to all..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Only charge til 100%...like @PILGRIM said, the calibration can be helpful if you are worried. If you want good gaming and better battery life, the G55 is the way to go: smaller screen, more power-efficient GPU, more-efficient CPU, etc.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Gorman
Level 12
Lithium ion batteries need to be cycled to achieve full capacity, but it reduces lifespan to cycle them. It also should be cycled every month or so to make sure the "smart meter" is accurate (which is how your laptop tells you that you have 30% battery etc, it needs to cycle to get to know it's limits)
When the battery is fully charged and the laptop is plugged in then the power will be diverted away from the battery so it won't overcharge or drain it unnecessarily. However the battery can get hot because of the fan placement, which reduces the lifespan of the battery.

As soon as I bought mine I cycled the battery 6 or so times to get the capacity close to max in case I need to use it, since then I only used my laptop plugged in, so to prevent battery damage and increase cooling I removed the battery.