cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New asus rog strix gl531gt not detecting added ssd

RolyBoy
Level 7
Hello !

I just bought a new gaming laptop and decided to add another SSD into it (the boot drive is an NVMe SSD and I added a SATA SSD). I used the adapter that came in the box to attach the SSD to the motherboard (see the attached pictures). The problem is that it is not detected by Windows Disk Manager and nothing tells me that it is detected by the BIOS either. I tried to update the SATA drivers, my BIOS is up to date, I checked if my SSD was working on another computer and the answer is yes...

I don't know what to do... Does anybody have an idea ?

10 REPLIES 10

jdfrench3
Level 12
Stick the new SATA drive in your other computer and format it. Then return it to your new GL531GT.

Is it now being detected in the BIOS? (Advanced Mode/Advanced/SATA Mode Selection/AHCI) Then Reboot!
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Stick the new SATA drive in your other computer and format it. Then return it to your new GL531GT.

Is it now being detected in the BIOS? (Advanced Mode/Advanced/SATA Mode Selection/AHCI) Then Reboot!

I tried and it didn't work...

Remove your M.2 NVME drive, then boot to your BIOS.

Can you see it now?
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Remove your M.2 NVME drive, then boot to your BIOS.

Can you see it now?

Are you sure it could help ? Why it wouldn't already see it ?

Because there is a know interference between NVME and SATA drives. I have run into this problem myself when trying to setup a NVME RAID while having a an additional SATA drive installed.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Because there is a know interference between NVME and SATA drives. I have run into this problem myself when trying to setup a NVME RAID while having a an additional SATA drive installed.

I tried, still not detected...

Your picture shows only the 7-pin signal connector ribbon attached to the SATA SSD Where is the 15-pin power connector?
Homebuilt Windows Server

Is the connector ribbon latch on the motherboard secured (lever down)? Your picture shows it might be up.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Is the connector ribbon latch on the motherboard secured (lever down)? Your picture shows it might be up.

Omg... I feel so stupid right now ! It was my first time upgrading a laptop and I didn't know about that...

Thanks a lot, it's working fine now !