cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need to buy windows pro, which one?

smaky
Level 7
I have just bought the Asus g750jx-db71.

Almost bought an Alienware because it comes with windows 7!
I do have Mx14 alienware laptop but I think the mobo is broken where the power cord plugs in. I am hoping to fix it.

Unfortunately I ordered without realizing that the windows is not PRO.

Now my dilemma is do I buy windows 7 pro or windows 8 pro?

I need the option to run windows XP mode. My work requires some old software for robotics that only runs on xp.
I would like the option of dual booting Linux.

I have read the various threads on how to get windows 7 working or dual booting. None of them sounded easy.

So which professional version of windows would be the least painfull in the end to do what I want to do.


Smaky
2,743 Views
6 REPLIES 6

kidfromhell
Level 9
I would recommend going for the 8.1 pro as we have no official support for 7 even though there are guides out there which are complex to do so. Even though you get 8.1, there's nothing better in pro compared to the normal ones except Virtualization options by which only corporate companies may highly benefit with.

Thanks for the quick reply.

yes, I plan to run windows xp virtual mode

Will try windows 8.1 pro since the official support and it may cost less if I just buy the upgrade.

If that doesn't work I will just have to lug around 2 laptops lol

kidfromhell wrote:
I would recommend going for the 8.1 pro as we have no official support for 7 even though there are guides out there which are complex to do so. Even though you get 8.1, there's nothing better in pro compared to the normal ones except Virtualization options by which only corporate companies may highly benefit with.

Absolutely true, since VirtualBox runs on the other versions of Windows just fine, and that is a free virtualization system (and quite good too). 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

kidfromhell wrote:
I would recommend going for the 8.1 pro as we have no official support for 7 even though there are guides out there which are complex to do so. Even though you get 8.1, there's nothing better in pro compared to the normal ones except Virtualization options by which only corporate companies may highly benefit with.


eh? I run VMWare and Virtualbox Windows 8.1 Standard on mine.
I also have them on windows 7 pro and i do remember something about them not running on standard.
Maybe that changed?
oh, and make sure Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is enabled in the bios

although we do not have official support for windows 7 i can say that i have had no problems at all.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
eh? I run VMWare and Virtualbox Windows 8.1 Standard on mine.
I also have them on windows 7 pro and i do remember something about them not running on standard.
Maybe that changed?
oh, and make sure Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is enabled in the bios

although we do not have official support for windows 7 i can say that i have had no problems at all.


Yeah, you can run 7 without any problems although it's not officially supported and might be a pain to find updated drivers 🙂

kidfromhell wrote:
Yeah, you can run 7 without any problems although it's not officially supported and might be a pain to find updated drivers 🙂

NVidia drivers should work, they are real good about a general set of drivers that is backwards compatible, and often updated. 🙂 It's the other drivers that might be a concern.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23