cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help. New to everything the G74SX offers

RavenJumpDash
Level 7
I bought my G74SX-RH71 about a week ago and I've been loving it. It's my first upgrade ever since I bought a MDG AptonDesktop back in 2005! Tested everything and it seems to be working great, except for a minor keyboard issue where some keys don't register as well as others. BTW, sorry if I'm reposting, link to an older post about this would also be choice.

So what I need help with is optimizing the system. So far all I've done is updated all my drivers using 'Device Manager' and searching automatically for driver updates.

Are there any drivers for the G74SX that would be better than what I'm using? also is there any other way to optimize performance for gaming? I kind of like some of the software, but I don't really know how to use it... Like any time I want to check my core temperature, I have to turn on the spinning desktop app and check the Gaming Desktop, but I can live without being able to check the core temperature until I find an easier, more efficient way.

And does anyone know the BEST way to clean fingerprints off this model? I called ASUS technical support and someone told me to clean it with 30% alcohol solution, but I am not entirely sure that is a good idea 😐 Kind of annoying because the anything that cleans oily substances off the case might also eat away at the case itself which probably has some petroleum products in it ?:D
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
RavenJumpDash wrote:
So what I need help with is optimizing the system. So far all I've done is updated all my drivers using 'Device Manager' and searching automatically for driver updates.

It's good to look in Device Manager to determine the hardware installed on your system.

Are there any drivers for the G74SX that would be better than what I'm using?

The OP of the "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread has links to some of the most recent drivers for your system.

...also is there any other way to optimize performance for gaming?

There are quite a few threads like that on this forum. Here is one for BF3: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4568-Nvidia-V285-Beta-Driver-BF3-FPS-results
You can also find more on the support forums of the particular games you are interested in.

I kind of like some of the software, but I don't really know how to use it... Like any time I want to check my core temperature, I have to turn on the spinning desktop app and check the Gaming Desktop, but I can live without being able to check the core temperature until I find an easier, more efficient way.

HWINFO64, RealTemp, or SpeedFan will give you temperatures and other interesting sensor data.

And does anyone know the BEST way to clean fingerprints off this model? I called ASUS technical support and someone told me to clean it with 30% alcohol solution, but I am not entirely sure that is a good idea 😐 Kind of annoying because the anything that cleans oily substances off the case might also eat away at the case itself which probably has some petroleum products in it ?:D

Check out this thread:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6874-Cleaning-the-G-Series

...and don't be afraid to search for yourself
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

fostert
Level 12
RavenJumpDash wrote:

Alcohol based cleaners will eventually dry out and crack the rubberized finish. But I'm afraid thats what I myself use, because I have found non-alcohol based cleaners and wipes ineffective at removing finger oil stains, particularly my wifes use of vaseline on her hands after she showers...that just gets on that rubber and stays, no matter what. In the end I use a 50% alcohol, 50% distilled water mixture, with one drop of liquid dish soap per litre. But I try to not clean it often...
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

PILGRIM
Level 11
RavenJumpDash wrote:
...And does anyone know the BEST way to clean fingerprints off this model? I called ASUS technical support and someone told me to clean it with 30% alcohol solution, but I am not entirely sure that is a good idea 😐 Kind of annoying because the anything that cleans oily substances off the case might also eat away at the case itself which probably has some petroleum products in it?:D

I use Baby Wipes. It cleans my laptop like a baby..
ASUS G74SX-3DE