cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on backing up my G751 Partitions...

Xehanort
Level 8
Hello guys. I want to create an image backup of my OS partition, of my G751JY, in anticipation for a future clean install of Windows 10 and if things go bad I have a way of restoring my computer to it's current state (Windows 8.1, with all my apps, etc.)

I'm using Macrium Reflect Free, but when I opened it I noticed some partitions that I never seen before:

GPT Disk 2 and 4 are my interal HDD and external HDD connected through USB, respectively. So if I want to backup my OS partition, should I also backup the UEFI partitions (1, 2 and 5)?

I assume they're partitions created when formatting a drive with UEFI, because it says GPT, but i'm not really sure. And after I perform a clean install, formatting only the C partition, should I leave those UEFI partitions alone? Or should I format them as well, or delete them? I'm confused here guys, sorry, I really need some help here because i'm scared s***less of something going horribly wrong 😛

Thank you for your time.
6 REPLIES 6

antoine52200
Level 8
yes back up everything os related

antoine52200 wrote:
yes back up everything os related

Alright, just created an image of the entire SSD. Thank you for the tip 😄

Ok now, about the clean install: should I just format the C partition and install the OS, or do I need to do anything regarding the UEFI partitions?

Ok, so I finally upgraded my G751JY to Windows 10. And i'm happy to say that everything went smoothly, at least so far xD

Sorry if i'm being a huge pain in the arse here, but I'd really appreciate if someone could help me with my last question:
Xehanort wrote:
Ok now, about the clean install: should I just format the C partition and install the OS, or do I need to do anything regarding the UEFI partitions?

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
those are uefi related, and very much needed. always get all of them if you are including a system partition in your images.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
those are uefi related, and very much needed. always get all of them if you are including a system partition in your images.

Yes, I decided to image the entire SSD (including UEFI related partitions).

But now if I want to do a clean install of Windows 10, should I just format the C partition and install or should I do anything regarding the UEFI partitions? Shouls I create new ones while installing 10, or should I just leave them alone?

When you do a clean install of window 10 the install will format you SSD and recreate the partitions needed to boot and run. You do need to insure that you boot your USB Install in UEFI Mode. To do this on boot up hit the Esc key that will bring up a Boot menu select the UEFI USB that will boot in UEFI Mode and install in UEFI mode. The install will create all needed partitions. One think to be aware of you will lose you recovery partition. You just need to know that it doesn't matter since you have a disk Image with 8.1 on it.
For First install of windows 10 you need to run the upgrade first this will register your hardware with MS Activation Servers. Then you can Clean install with out having any activation issues. That is if you want to take advantage of the free lifetime of hardware deal.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro