cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY G752VY SSD BENCHMARKS COMPARED: Samsung 950 NVMe vs 951 NVMe vs 850 EVO - READ

dbodyguru
Level 9
I have the G752VY with 3 different Samsung SSD's installed now. Because there are a lot of questions about installing Samsung SSD's and replacing the default SSD's, I've decided to benchmark all three of these SSD's on my system so you can see the differences. Hopefully it helps you decide on your upgrade SSD planning.

I've decided to compare the

SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG NVMe

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

vs SAMSUNG 850 SATA 2.5 1TB

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR benchmarks compared.

SUMMARY

If you look at the images, you'll see how fast the SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 is and also just how ****ty the default SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 gig SSD that comes with the system. The read speeds are 1 GiB but the write speeds are 150 MiB! The 950 PRO 512 write speeds are 10 TIMES faster. Even the random 4K tests double the speed. The 850 EVO has half the seq read speed as the 951 (500 MiBvs 1GiB) but the seq write speed is over 3x faster than the 951. The only area the so called 951 NVMe beats the 850 EVO is the seq write speed (2x) as fast. But for every other metric, it's far worse. Basically, if it comes between using the 850 EVO OR the defaut 951 NVMe drive that comes with the G752, I'd go with the 850 EVO any day. Note, I tested the 2.5 SATA 850 EVO. It could be the 850 m2 SATA III or ACHI versions are faster than the 2.5.

Of course, the best option is to go with the SAMSUNG 950 PRO -- either 256 or 512 GIGS. Look at the speeds! It blows the 951 out of the water (10x faster write speeds, over DOUBLE the read speeds). It also blows the 850 EVO out of the water with 4.5x the read speeds and DOUBLE the write speeds.

CONCLUSION
*SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe ROCKS so much.
*Default 951 NVMe 128 GB that comes with the system is **** and should be thrown away. Better off going with a 2.5 SATA 850 EVO if the cost of the Samsung 950's are too high for you, and booting your OS from that rather than boot from the 951 Samsung 128 GB. The 951 has double the read speeds of the 850 EVO, yes, but the write speeds are about 1/3 of the speed!!! Is it better? I don't know, depends if you are doing a lot more reading or writing to your drive.

So I hope this helps you guys decide what SSD to upgrade to. Whatever you decide, DITCH the absolutely ****ty 951 SAMSUNG NVMe 128gig/256/512 gig that comes with your G752VT/VY -- you can get at least double the read speeds and 10x the write speeds by switching!

I honestly don't understand -- paying about 2500 USD for my G752VY (which is a sweet, sweet machine and with the 3D vapor cooling runs super super cool, even when CPU and GPU are maxed -- only at 75-79C!!!) and Asus gives such a ****ty SSD which hurts performance~!

Also see my other posts that tell how I installed my 950 NVMe on the ASUS ROG G752VY and how I also installed a 850 EVO m2 SATA III on my other computer I bought, the ASUS ROG GL552...

How to SUCCESFULLY Install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe into G752 and boot windows from it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I...

How to SUCESSFULLY install the Samsung 850 EVO m2 SATA III into the GL552 and boot windows from it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-work...
31 REPLIES 31

I suspect the Intel driver you installed is the Intel RST driver, not the Intel NVME driver. The Intel NVME driver is designed specifically for Intel SSDs so I'd be surprised if the Intel NVME driver works with a Samsung SSD. Many of us have gotten the 950 Pro to boot Windows. The problems that we haven't been able to overcome are (1) getting any sort of NVME driver (Microsoft or Samsung) to load for the NVME SSD instead of the Intel RAID/ RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver and (2) getting Samsung Magician software to recognize the 950 Pro. Without the NVME driver, performance suffers significantly.

I believe you have inadvertently confirmed that even ASUS doesn't install the NVME driver on G752 that they ship with the NVME SSDs pre-installed from the factory. If true, I am very disappointed with ASUS because they will have provided the hardware (M.2 NVME slots) support without the software (NVME driver) needed to truly take advantage of the performance boost.

Regarding the new BIOS, what version are you referring to? I see only the 205 version posted under support links for the G752 though I've seen a version 208 for the GL752.

drummerdimitri
Level 7
dbodyguru wrote:
I have the G752VY with 3 different Samsung SSD's installed now. Because there are a lot of questions about installing Samsung SSD's and replacing the default SSD's, I've decided to benchmark all three of these SSD's on my system so you can see the differences. Hopefully it helps you decide on your upgrade SSD planning.

I've decided to compare the

SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG NVMe

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

vs SAMSUNG 850 SATA 2.5 1TB

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR benchmarks compared.

SUMMARY

If you look at the images, you'll see how fast the SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 is and also just how ****ty the default SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 gig SSD that comes with the system. The read speeds are 1 GiB but the write speeds are 150 MiB! The 950 PRO 512 write speeds are 10 TIMES faster. Even the random 4K tests double the speed. The 850 EVO has half the seq read speed as the 951 (500 MiBvs 1GiB) but the seq write speed is over 3x faster than the 951. The only area the so called 951 NVMe beats the 850 EVO is the seq write speed (2x) as fast. But for every other metric, it's far worse. Basically, if it comes between using the 850 EVO OR the defaut 951 NVMe drive that comes with the G752, I'd go with the 850 EVO any day. Note, I tested the 2.5 SATA 850 EVO. It could be the 850 m2 SATA III or ACHI versions are faster than the 2.5.

Of course, the best option is to go with the SAMSUNG 950 PRO -- either 256 or 512 GIGS. Look at the speeds! It blows the 951 out of the water (10x faster write speeds, over DOUBLE the read speeds). It also blows the 850 EVO out of the water with 4.5x the read speeds and DOUBLE the write speeds.

CONCLUSION
*SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe ROCKS so much.
*Default 951 NVMe 128 GB that comes with the system is **** and should be thrown away. Better off going with a 2.5 SATA 850 EVO if the cost of the Samsung 950's are too high for you, and booting your OS from that rather than boot from the 951 Samsung 128 GB. The 951 has double the read speeds of the 850 EVO, yes, but the write speeds are about 1/3 of the speed!!! Is it better? I don't know, depends if you are doing a lot more reading or writing to your drive.

So I hope this helps you guys decide what SSD to upgrade to. Whatever you decide, DITCH the absolutely ****ty 951 SAMSUNG NVMe 128gig/256/512 gig that comes with your G752VT/VY -- you can get at least double the read speeds and 10x the write speeds by switching!

I honestly don't understand -- paying about 2500 USD for my G752VY (which is a sweet, sweet machine and with the 3D vapor cooling runs super super cool, even when CPU and GPU are maxed -- only at 75-79C!!!) and Asus gives such a ****ty SSD which hurts performance~!

Also see my other posts that tell how I installed my 950 NVMe on the ASUS ROG G752VY and how I also installed a 850 EVO m2 SATA III on my other computer I bought, the ASUS ROG GL552...

How to SUCCESFULLY Install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe into G752 and boot windows from it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I...

How to SUCESSFULLY install the Samsung 850 EVO m2 SATA III into the GL552 and boot windows from it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-work...

I am surpsired by your results!

I have the G752VT with the same original drive configuration but my 128 GB 951 SSD was writing at around 500 MB/s with the same read speeds as yours so don't blame the drive. There might me some drivers you forgot to install.

I've cloned the drive like you did to a 240 GB 950 M.2 SSD and now the pc is working perfectly so thanks for the guide!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Been searching everywhere but there just is no info on the G752Y models with the larger stock SSDs. Nothing to be found but the RH71. Guess Ill have to be the guinea pig for the 256GB. DH72 is on the way, I was just curious as to whether I needed to order another SSD to get past the obvious joke AKA 128GB stock drives performance if it is also prevalent in the 256GB. Ill eventually go to 512 and would rather go with the 950 pro but wont without proper operation and fully functional software. Id just as soon just go with the SM951.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

If you can afford the VY model, just pony out and get the 950 PRO 512. It's super fast and either way, you will want to make larger driver your main bootable OS (just partition the OS to be 128 gigs and the other partition to be the rest, which you store you main programs / games).

I also recommend you take out the slow ass HDD and replace it with the Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB. This makes your system ALL SSD and super fast for every operation -- even storing movies / dowloads et. The HDD is a huge bottleneck if you read and write to it, which you will since the 256 SSD (and likely the ****ty cheap NVMe one if it's the stock 951 that comes with the computer) is just too small when you start actually installing stuff to your computer. I mean, you can easily use 128 gigs for windows + OS updates + free space on the drive + system restore points, if you want to keep a nice 40 gigs free on it for best operation / os updates.

SO yea, at the very least buy the 950 PRO 512 and use the stock one as secondary storage.

The '****ty' ms drives give me fast speeds. I've installed to the Intel driver which did NOT increase the speeds at all and in fact caused a boot delay error where it took 1 minute to see the ROG logo when doing a reset or power on (and restore from sleep state would hang).

There is no reason NOT to get the 950 PRO (especially the 512 gig). The only issue you have is you can't use samsung partition wizard and run the SSD optimization stuff on it (rapid SSD mode, ssd overprovision, etc) because it doesn't detect it correctly as the 950 PRO. But speed wise in terms of reads and writes, it's fine

Also note, I don't recommend installing the intel controllers (i installed to the latest 1.48 version). I did this right before the bios update and afterwards my computer would 'hang up' on boot for 1 minute before showing the ROG logo on screen and beginning the boot process. This happened for system resets and for power on starts. Closing the lid or enabling sleep state would hang up the computer -- it would turn on but just a black screen.

Restoring to a point BEFORE I installed the intel drivers for SSD fixed this. As I showed you in my benchmark, there was NO real difference in speed after installing the intel drivers with the 950 pro read and write speeds. Just use the default MS drivers that install automatically UNTIL the official samsung drivers are working with future updates.

dbodyguru wrote:
Also note, I don't recommend installing the intel controllers (i installed to the latest 1.48 version). I did this right before the bios update and afterwards my computer would 'hang up' on boot for 1 minute before showing the ROG logo on screen and beginning the boot process. This happened for system resets and for power on starts. Closing the lid or enabling sleep state would hang up the computer -- it would turn on but just a black screen.

"right before...bios update" -> have you checked that the bios configuration were not changed after the flashing ????
it does happens sometimes... and if your CSM option got toggled-> no wonder your OS didn't load up.

look, my advise about using Intel NVMe drivers instead of MS ( for non-samsung NMVe devices ) came from a very knowledgeable person, who runs, operate and write most of the guides in WIN-RAID forums, AKA Fernando- look HERE
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

JustinThyme
Level 13
I've gone ahead and ordered the 950 pro 512GB. It's not about cost as believe it or not the SM951 AHCI and NVMe are harder to find and cost more. My worries were around TRIM and OP as well as warranty but after a good bit of research elsewhere my worries were put to rest.

I already have an 850 pro to replace the spinner.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.

JustinThyme wrote:
I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.

Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
"Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-512gb-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_174096/3
"When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
"Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-512gb-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_174096/3
"When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.

Actually I did research it. Using your keywords the very first hit

"As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Thermal...

According to the spec sheets the 950 pro is 1.5x more efficient in power consumption.

Like I said, I tossed this around for a very long time, longer than I did making a laptop choice and your earlier post about the ACHI being just as fast andfully supported is what drove me to dig so deep.