cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Asus G75VW Build With Mods (Pics Included)

0neWinged
Level 9
So I have browsed the threads more times than I can count and wanted to finally share my accomplishments as of so far. I managed to pick up a G75VW for $400!
It was cosmetically in pretty good shape. Only true flaw is the rubber on the left mouse button has a bubble, which is common from use. Only hardware flaws were
the 500GB 5200rpm HDD, 8GB ram and the DVD burner was toast. Other than that it ran great.
This was my first gaming laptop, so I decided to put a little money into it. So here is what I have so far..

Asus ROG G75VW with carbon fiber vinyl wrapped and custom chrome stickers (wrapped correctly, not just pre cut stick ons)
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 - 3610qm (Eventually will upgrade to 3840QM) (Not my #1 priority) (Still too costly $$$)
Nvidia GTX 660m 2GB (Will be upgrading to GTX 780M here shortly) (My #1 priority) ($200 upgrade for card and full heatsink)
32gb ram 1600 g.skill rip jaws ($120 upgrade)
256gb Sata III Intel 535 SSD ($62 upgrade)
1TB WD 7200rpm HDD (free.. Had an extra laying around)
Pioneer Blu-Ray burner ($50 upgrade)
Intel 7260 dual band 802.11ac WIFI + BT 4.0 ($20 upgrade)
Cooling fan mod ($4 upgrade.. just had to buy o-rings) (Runs 12°c-15°c cooler)
Red keyboard backlight mod ($4 upgrade.. just had to buy red cellophane)

So my next accomplishment will be the installing of the GTX 780m. I know I know, most are like whaaah.. thats impossible. Well, nothing is impossible.
With some chassis modifications, some heatsink modifications, flashing modified system bios with custom 780m vbios and customs graphics drivers.. it very well should
boot this card. Ill have updates within the next couple of weeks on if this is successful. Im fairly confident it will be a success.

Here is what it looks like as of now!
57573
57574
57575
57576
57577
57578
57579
57580
57581
57582
297 Views
18 REPLIES 18

Awesome

Pioneer Blu-Ray burner


Do you have a link for the Pioneer Blu-Ray burner? That's for replacing the internal DVD player right?

Awesome project! And GZ for going through those 80+ screws. 😄 Any words of advice on the GPU upgrade?

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
Thanks! Any higher resolutions?

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
Thanks! Any higher resolutions?


Not as of right now sorry. Not until I have some time to do some Photoshopping. Plus my main PSD files are on my laptop which is in pieces as of right now. That's the pic I used for my background and it will blow up to your resolution. Which mine is 1080 and it looks good.

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
Thanks! Any higher resolutions?


Here is 1920×1080 image. Didnt realize i uploaded the small res one, sorry.
1920×1080 is as big as I have. I also updated previous photo upload to 1080 as well.

57619

0neWinged wrote:
Here is 1920×1080 image. Didnt realize i uploaded the small res one, sorry.
1920×1080 is as big as I have. I also updated previous photo upload to 1080 as well.

57619


Thanks. Repped!

Alphatard1234
Level 7
0neWinged wrote:
So I have browsed the threads more times than I can count and wanted to finally share my accomplishments as of so far. I managed to pick up a G75VW for $400!
It was cosmetically in pretty good shape. Only true flaw is the rubber on the left mouse button has a bubble, which is common from use. Only hardware flaws were
the 500GB 5200rpm HDD, 8GB ram and the DVD burner was toast. Other than that it ran great.
This was my first gaming laptop, so I decided to put a little money into it. So here is what I have so far..

Asus ROG G75VW with carbon fiber vinyl wrapped and custom chrome stickers (wrapped correctly, not just pre cut stick ons)
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 - 3610qm (Eventually will upgrade to 3840QM) (Not my #1 priority) (Still too costly $$$)
Nvidia GTX 660m 2GB (Will be upgrading to GTX 780M here shortly) (My #1 priority) ($200 upgrade for card and full heatsink)
32gb ram 1600 g.skill rip jaws ($120 upgrade)
256gb Sata III Intel 535 SSD ($62 upgrade)
1TB WD 7200rpm HDD (free.. Had an extra laying around)
Pioneer Blu-Ray burner ($50 upgrade)
Intel 7260 dual band 802.11ac WIFI + BT 4.0 ($20 upgrade)
Cooling fan mod ($4 upgrade.. just had to buy o-rings) (Runs 12°c-15°c cooler)
Red keyboard backlight mod ($4 upgrade.. just had to buy red cellophane)

So my next accomplishment will be the installing of the GTX 780m. I know I know, most are like whaaah.. thats impossible. Well, nothing is impossible.
With some chassis modifications, some heatsink modifications, flashing modified system bios with custom 780m vbios and customs graphics drivers.. it very well should
boot this card. Ill have updates within the next couple of weeks on if this is successful. Im fairly confident it will be a success.

Here is what it looks like as of now!
57573
57574
57575
57576
57577
57578
57579
57580
57581
57582


We're you successful installing the 780m? Wanting to try this myself, any updates would be greatly appreciated!!

Alphatard1234 wrote:
We're you successful installing the 780m? Wanting to try this myself, any updates would be greatly appreciated!!


After a lot of troubleshooting and hard work, he successfully did it with the help of Dreamonic and jhmdj


Btw, I want to improve my G53JW's cooling. 0newinged, is your fan mod specific to your G75?