cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a copy of your eSupport Folder before formating your OS drive!

jdfrench3
Level 12
This has been repeated many times, retain a copy of your eSupport Folder before you wipe your OS. Be smart, one of the first things a new owner should do is place a copy of this folder on a USB drive or DVD and save it in a safe place.

If for what ever reason your OS is broken, a much easier recovery can be made if you had a copy of the eSupport Folder. The contents of this folder can NOT be completely replaced from programs and drivers on the ASUS Download Center. Some of the software within the eSupport Folder does not belong to ASUS. ASUS pays a vender for its' use. This means the software has the ability to authenticate your laptop before it can be loaded.

The ASUS Installation Wizard (AsInsWiz.exe), found within the eSupport Folder is what should be used to install/reinstall the programs and drivers that were originally found on your laptop. This means, with a newly installed copy of Windows, the next thing you will want to do is take your USB or DVD that you placed a copy of the eSupport Folder and copy the folder to your laptop and run the ASUS Installation Wizard.

The Wizard program is flexible, you don't have to install everything. Install what you like.

Now a nasty Windows Update comes along and suddenly one of these ASUS programs quits working. The repair is easy, return to the eSupport Folder and simply reinstall the program. What's happening of late is the Windows Update is trying to substitute its' own driver for one provided by ASUS, this doesn't always workout. Restoring the program from the eSupport Folder usually will fix the problem.

As time goes by, you find updates for some of your original programs on the ASUS Download Center, so you update to the latest program or driver. That's OK. Accomplish the update correctly and then test your program or driver for functionality. If it fails, resort to the original program or driver within the eSupport Folder.

I have updated all but three ASUS programs on my laptop using updated programs I found on the ASUS Download Center.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server
15 REPLIES 15

Kam1kaz3 wrote:
wait, what if the machine comes without OS? o.O

Most of the ASUS programs will not work. The ASUS Installation Wizard (AsInsWiz.exe) found in the eSupport folder installs many encrypted files that allow the ASUS programs to work. Without first installing the drivers and programs from the eSupport folder later downloads, installation, and operation of those programs from the ASUS Download Center will not be successful.

DO NOT purchase ASUS laptop without preinstalled OS, recovery partition, and eSupport Folder.

Of course purchasing a laptop without an OS means the warranty you have is with the store you bought it from. The store works with ASUS not you. I don't see this as good for the user. If you get the store to take your laptop back, you're at their mercy to work with ASUS to make repairs.

The only reason to purchase computer without OS would be to install Linux, Unix, or some other OS other than Windows.
Homebuilt Windows Server

Hi

I am doing a clean install of Windows 10 on my ASUS G751JT laptop. The laptop came with Win 8.1 and I've been using it till now. I downloaded the latest Win 10 drivers available on the ASUS website. I also downloaded the driver DVD disc from the German site shared earlier.

My question is, since the driver versions available through the ASUS site and DVD are almost the same (a few drivers on the ASUS website are even newer), is it necessary to install the drivers through the DVD (which installs through the AsIntWiz.exe)? There are a few softwares on the DVD like Steam, X Split Gamecaster, Cyberlink softwares that I have no interest in installing.

Thank you in advance.

It's best to use the ASUS Installation Wizard found in the eSupport folder. When using the ASUS Installation Wizard, hidden and encrypted files are loaded to support several ASUS programs.

Install Windows 10, then use the ASUS Installation Wizard to install all the ASUS drivers and programs, then update your ASUS drivers and programs from the Download Center website.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
It's best to use the ASUS Installation Wizard found in the eSupport folder. When using the ASUS Installation Wizard, hidden and encrypted files are loaded to support several ASUS programs.

Install Windows 10, then use the ASUS Installation Wizard to install all the ASUS drivers and programs, then update your ASUS drivers and programs from the Download Center website.

So should I install all the programs on the DVD including the ones I don't want?

Honestly, I would install everything, then if you don't want a particular program remove it in Control Panel/Programs and features.
Homebuilt Windows Server

Sadly not anymore