cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 Raid Aray?

Ridge
Level 7
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere I could purchase a M.2 raid card like the MSI Dominator uses pictured here: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/8694/MSI-GT72-Internals-(9).jpg

If something like that exists for PCI-e M.2 then I'd also need some sort of extension since it'll have to be mounted like a normal HDD due to the width. So if anyone knows of any extensions please link as well.

Also if anyone have any input on if this would even be a good idea please post below informing as to why it would or wouldn't, thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Edweird
Level 10
Not sure how you're gonna hook that up into a G751. Impossible in a G771. The G751 is certainly wide enough horizontally but you'd need a custom solution for a mount either way. If you have some sort of extension to the bridge card itself, I guess you could modify one of the default drive cages to fit the stuff. If those drives are 2280, then that adapter card is probably 100mm long.
I don't understand why you would do this if you can just get a single SM951 drive - you can't get much faster than that. By what you're saying I assume you've noticed those are SATA drives. Are you looking for backup solutions?
I suppose you could fit 2 Plextor P6e PCI-E 2.0 x2 in there.
Heat is a consideration. PCI-E drives heat up a lot and are supposed to be able to hit 125 degrees before weird stuff happens - 2 of these, without cooling, next to each other - that smells bad to me.

Edweird wrote:
Not sure how you're gonna hook that up into a G751. Impossible in a G771. The G751 is certainly wide enough horizontally but you'd need a custom solution for a mount either way. If you have some sort of extension to the bridge card itself, I guess you could modify one of the default drive cages to fit the stuff. If those drives are 2280, then that adapter card is probably 100mm long.
I don't understand why you would do this if you can just get a single SM951 drive - you can't get much faster than that. By what you're saying I assume you've noticed those are SATA drives. Are you looking for backup solutions?
I suppose you could fit 2 Plextor P6e PCI-E 2.0 x2 in there.
Heat is a consideration. PCI-E drives heat up a lot and are supposed to be able to hit 125 degrees before weird stuff happens - 2 of these, without cooling, next to each other - that smells bad to me.

I'm sure I'd be able to put a few heatsinks on top of the cards. I'm just wondering if anything like this exists or not

Well Ridge, the best I remember your the first one to even think of this. Like Samsung just came out with the 951 M.2 PCIe which is about twice as fast as the 941 was still faster than any raid set up I've seen in a G751. It also seem I remember that the 951 is maxing out the bandwidth of the connector. So I don't see how a M.2 Raid would work in a G751. Maybe if you dumb it down to a SATA speeds but then the raid would be slower than the full speed 951?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro