cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low quality battery in G75x ?

cdma2k
Level 7
After reading several stories/posts about bad battery, I check the battery status on each laptops around

run powercfg /bateryreport on Windows 8.1 or windows 10 command prompt
run powercfg /energy on windows 7

interesting finding:
zBook still 100% of designed capacity after 2 years and 4000 hours use
the rest are around 99%

unfortunately G751s: 97% and 98% within 100 hour and 50 hours use, horrible!

just wonder how your G75x battery is doing? If it is a common problem for Asus G75x, maybe we should raise our concern especially Asus made battery replacement non-user serviceable.
40 REPLIES 40

JustinThyme
Level 13
No worries, just trying to save you some $$. I don't think anyone was impressed when ASUS made the decision to put the packs internally the way they did. I get the redesign etc but this pack could have been made to go in the same location and be removable externally very easily. Sounds more like a design for job security for them making less and less user serviceable platforms, I know all about how that works. I get complaints from customers all the time about how settings, calibration and life-cycle monitoring in our UPS systems should all be user accessible. We have it locked down tighter than the bunghole on a grasshopper with proprietary software that is heavily encoded and guarded. Job security is all it is about. It keep the users and even more importantly third party maintenance providers from being able to effectively service the machines. We lose a customer occasionally to a third party salesman who sold them the same service for half the price that we offer it for, but its always short lived when they find out that what they really got for half the price is someone who knows how to turn the machine off, run a vacuum, change filters and turn it back on. They couldnt do anything when it comes to repairs or even necessary replacement of items with a finite lifespan like batteries, power capacitors etc. Had one that tried capacitor replacement of a 500kVA machine in Hawaii and let the magic smoke out. I got a free vacation in Hawaii just to fly out and laugh at them when they asked if it could be rebuilt. Imagine something exploding so violently that it made 1/2 thick copper bus-bar look like the end of Elmer Fudds gun when Bugs Bunny put his finger in the end of the barrel right before he pulled the trigger. Bottom line. Machine was cooked, there goes $180K out the window!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
No worries, just trying to save you some $$. I don't think anyone was impressed when ASUS made the decision to put the packs internally the way they did. I get the redesign etc but this pack could have been made to go in the same location and be removable externally very easily. Sounds more like a design for job security for them making less and less user serviceable platforms, I know all about how that works. I get complaints from customers all the time about how settings, calibration and life-cycle monitoring in our UPS systems should all be user accessible. We have it locked down tighter than the bunghole on a grasshopper with proprietary software that is heavily encoded and guarded. Job security is all it is about. It keep the users and even more importantly third party maintenance providers from being able to effectively service the machines. We lose a customer occasionally to a third party salesman who sold them the same service for half the price that we offer it for, but its always short lived when they find out that what they really got for half the price is someone who knows how to turn the machine off, run a vacuum, change filters and turn it back on. They couldnt do anything when it comes to repairs or even necessary replacement of items with a finite lifespan like batteries, power capacitors etc. Had one that tried capacitor replacement of a 500kVA machine in Hawaii and let the magic smoke out. I got a free vacation in Hawaii just to fly out and laugh at them when they asked if it could be rebuilt. Imagine something exploding so violently that it made 1/2 thick copper bus-bar look like the end of Elmer Fudds gun when Bugs Bunny put his finger in the end of the barrel right before he pulled the trigger. Bottom line. Machine was cooked, there goes $180K out the window!

@Justinthyme, are you in the ups business? I was with an atm company before. Biggest ups ive seen were only 3kva and they were the size of a refrigerator, jurassic lol. They were made by magnetec.

pigulici
Level 8
JustinThyme: in a ideal world this maybe good, but not on real world, I see so much people come to the shop where I work, the laptop not power on anymore, just removing the batteries, power on with the plug off, put back batteries and the laptop it works, if that person have to go to the authorized service, it is in another town, at least 4-5 days are lost , and money, and if you run a business from that laptop, yeah that will do good, if, and it is a big if, the quality of machine it is so good that don't break or I am near a service, I will be ok that the laptop it is not service friendly...

pigulici wrote:
JustinThyme: in a ideal world this maybe good, but not on real world, I see so much people come to the shop where I work, the laptop not power on anymore, just removing the batteries, power on with the plug off, put back batteries and the laptop it works, if that person have to go to the authorized service, it is in another town, at least 4-5 days are lost , and money, and if you run a business from that laptop, yeah that will do good, if, and it is a big if, the quality of machine it is so good that don't break or I am near a service, I will be ok that the laptop it is not service friendly...

And this is why I lead off with "If you are comfortable doing it". Most users in this forum wont bat an eye and tearing their machine down to bare bones. Some opt to take it to a repair shop. Me, Im a cheap SOB and refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself......well right up until its time to play scuba diving in the sewer system, then my wallet opens right up!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes, Im a platform engineer for Schneider Electric. 3kVA is just a little bitty baby. We sell rack mounts in that size that are plug and play. Goes bad, yank it out and plug in another. Not everyone knows the parent company but one of the brands is a household name, everyone who even knows what a UPS is knows APC. 500kVA is for small to medium sized data centers. There are several banking institutions where we have parallel systems with an output of 5MW. Yes 5 million watts! and thats just one of their systems. Several large facilites have 5-10 of these configurations having upwards of 50MW of UPS power. Also do electrical distribution starting at the utility HV feed. Schneider Electric also owns Square D, Merlin Gerin and telemechanique. Lots of other companies too for building automation and monitoring, security etc. Ever see the worlds first hybrid bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDtaxkBPBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6Riz-4y3c

JustinThyme wrote:
Yes, Im a platform engineer for Schneider Electric. 3kVA is just a little bitty baby. We sell rack mounts in that size that are plug and play. Goes bad, yank it out and plug in another. Not everyone knows the parent company but one of the brands is a household name, everyone who even knows what a UPS is knows APC. 500kVA is for small to medium sized data centers. There are several banking institutions where we have parallel systems with an output of 5MW. Yes 5 million watts! and thats just one of their systems. Several large facilites have 5-10 of these configurations having upwards of 50MW of UPS power. Also do electrical distribution starting at the utility HV feed. Schneider Electric also owns Square D, Merlin Gerin and telemechanique. Lots of other companies too for building automation and monitoring, security etc. Ever see the worlds first hybrid bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDtaxkBPBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP6Riz-4y3c

Wow. Sorry for going OOT here. I am familiar with Schneider Electric, Merlin Gerin, APC. ACBs, ups, and automation equipment used by our ships.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes we have them on ships. Ive been on two aircraft carriers, 3 coast gaurd cutters and a handful of cruise ships working. The last cruise ship was actually nice. They put out for an 8 day cruise and I went along for the ride, Balcony cabin with everything included. I was done with my work in less than 2 days. So the rest was a free vacation. Was cheaper to let me ride it out then to catch a flight out of a Caribbean island at the last minute.

winyl
Level 9
I think Aeoliso, but don't remember for sure, said Asus is using LG lipo batteries in G laptops or in all laptops, and these last a tad bit shorter than Samsung or Panasonic cells. So LG cells are lesser quality it would seem.
I also had G751jy battery pack die on me last weekend,after one and half year use,almost all the time used on power brick, 42 cycles on batter. NICE.

In my G752vy battery report all fields for batter capacity are empty :eek:. What the...?

BlakLanner
Level 7
G751JT

Designed Capacity: 90000 mWh
Fully Charged Capacity: 50565 mWh
Wear Level: 43%

Battery capacity history shows that it was capable of 79168 mWh just a month ago.
Battery won't charge beyond 83%. I think I have a big problem. The laptop isn't 2 years old yet.

warryabel
Level 7
we are not representative...this is my meaning. asus give a sh.t on us
mfg