cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low performance on battery

peterleerule
Level 7
Hey guys.

So i was just wondering. Ive had my g75 for a week and its freaking amazing. Ive had no problems and im going to be registering for my warranty.

Quick question.

Why is there a drop in performance when i play games like CS:GO using just the batteries. I wanted to test it out but it gets quite laggy.
Any suggestions
5 REPLIES 5

sc27
Level 7
I'm not completely sure if this is true but my friend said that it's because some computers automatically goes into a lower performance mode when on battery.

Cecil_2099
Level 11
That's correct. The graphics card automatically throttles itself when it's on battery mode. There's no mod around it.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Cecil_2099 wrote:
That's correct. The graphics card automatically throttles itself when it's on battery mode. There's no mod around it.

+1 rep! It is doubtful that the battery can source the current required by the GPU at full bore without sustaining damage. Its a safety feature.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

X-ROG
Level 15
It's just an automatic driver function to balance battery life with performance, so instead of going out all guns blazing the CPU and GPU are quicker to throttle frequency and voltage, while other hardware (wifi card or PCI-Express for example) will sometimes reduce bandwidth to save power.

Besides the fact that drivers automatically put the laptop in battery saving mode its the way laptops were constructed for some reason. Unplugged < Plugged even if you switch to high performance using either Power4Gear or the Windows Battery settings.