cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade my G752VSK

omeggga
Level 8
Hey there! I'm new to these forums and would like to ask you all for advice on upgrading my ROG G752VSK.

My main qualms are RAM and SSD, but stuff like thermal paste will be adressed in due time. Anyway, first and foremost I want to ask about the RAM upgrading. Apparently the system has two sets of RAM modeules, one that you're supposed to upgrade and one where they chop off the warranty like a gillotine (I bought this all the way back in 2017 so I'm not all that concerned regarding warranty). Is there any reason I shouldn't buy 4 sticks of 16 GB 2400MHz RAM and install it on both of those modules? Or is the loss of warranty just scare tactics?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

jdfrench3
Level 12
The original RAM is from Apacer. It is DDR4-2800 / PCM-22400 DDR4 SDRAM S0-DIM. My G752VSK came with 16G of RAM. Both available memory slots accessed by removing the bottom cover were empty. I assumed ASUS had filled the other two slots (on other side of motherboard) with two 8G sticks. I located two 16G sticks of RAM from Newegg matching what was already in the Laptop (Apacer NOX DDR4). I ended up installing the new RAM in the two slots on the other side of motherboard and placing the one RAM module (yes, ASUS had just a single 16G stick of RAM) in one of the accessible slots. Once that was done I thought I would add another 16G stick in the future. Alas, Newegg, nor anybody else has sold any Apacer DDR-4-2800 memory since. I can purchase original RAM from ASUS for about twice the price but so far have resisted.

The two original 256GB Samsung SM961 M.2 NVMe SSDs have been replaced with two 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe SSDs. These two SSDs are in RAID.

The original 1TB HGST 7200RPM hard drive was replaced with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Both original storage devices were pulled with the original programing intact and are stored. Yes, I kept a copy of my eSupport Folder before reinstall my Windows OS.

I have upgraded most of the ASUS drivers and programs using the IvanRF website: https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/ A list of those upgraded drivers and programs is attached.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
The original RAM is from Apacer. It is DDR4-2800 / PCM-22400 DDR4 SDRAM S0-DIM. My G752VSK came with 16G of RAM. Both available memory slots accessed by removing the bottom cover were empty. I assumed ASUS had filled the other two slots (on other side of motherboard) with two 8G sticks. I located two 16G sticks of RAM from Newegg matching what was already in the Laptop (Apacer NOX DDR4). I ended up installing the new RAM in the two slots on the other side of motherboard and placing the one RAM module (yes, ASUS had just a single 16G stick of RAM) in one of the accessible slots. Once that was done I thought I would add another 16G stick in the future. Alas, Newegg, nor anybody else has sold any Apacer DDR-4-2800 memory since. I can purchase original RAM from ASUS for about twice the price but so far have resisted.

The two original 256GB Samsung SM961 M.2 NVMe SSDs have been replaced with two 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe SSDs. These two SSDs are in RAID.

The original 1TB HGST 7200RPM hard drive was replaced with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Both original storage devices were pulled with the original programing intact and are stored. Yes, I kept a copy of my eSupport Folder before reinstall my Windows OS.

I have upgraded most of the ASUS drivers and programs using the IvanRF website: https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/ A list of those upgraded drivers and programs is attached.

For the sake of convenience, I'm going to call the accessible RAM slots the mod slots (since they're meant to be modified so to speak) and the other ones the factory slots.

Do you think it would ever be possible to replace the Apacer NOX DDR4 RAM with something a bit more... purchaseable in the factory slots? Or do you think the PC will kick and scream if you do that?

My intent was to match what memory came with the laptop. If you are going to replace that memory and put in different spec memory, have at it!

The problem is getting the factory memory to play nice with new memory. It will be a crapshoot.

Putting in better spec memory will always run no better than the factory memory. Putting in slower memory degrades your system. Either way you lose.

Match or replace all.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server