cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a guide to format my windows 8.1 (clean) and upgrade to windows 10

nagooro
Level 7
My G750 is starting to bog down so looking to wipe it clean and upgrade to windows 10.

Are there any good guides out there to do this? Not sure what the process is, if I can go straight to windows 10, or do I have to go back to windows 8.1 then to 10.

Also whats the best way to re-install drivers? Asus auto updater thing?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

Darnassus
Status Under Review
nagooro wrote:
In the process of installing a fresh windows 10 copy.

Its asking where do I want to install windows 10, and I have 7 partitions. Can I delete any of them and just make one big drive?

Partition 1: system - total size 100mb - type system
partition 2: recovery - total size 900mb - type recovery
partition 3: no name - total size 128mb - type MSR (recovery)
partition 4: OS - total size 279gb - type Primary
partion 5: no name - total size 450 mb - type recovery
partition 6: DATA- - total size 398 gb - type primary
partition 7: restore - total size 20 gb - type recovery

Or do I just format a few of them, i would like to have a clean install and wipe all curret files and software on the laptop.

Thanks

Fresh install? Absolutely. Delete everything.

So after installing a clean version of windows 10, my CPU seems to be running at ~0.8GHz average. Is this because I need to update the BIOS? Or is there a simpler fix.

nagooro wrote:
is reformatting windows 10 via a media creation tool or the "reset this pc" option in windows the same thing?

If you delete and create a the drive partition (Wipe) with the media tool, remember you will lose everything. I think Win10 will put 2 partitions (OS and DATA) into that drive. If you have a secondary drive in the computer, remove it, as it will be wiped too.
Reformatting = bye bye to everything. Reset is more like a re-install I think.

toronto699
Level 13
same thing

Wulff
Level 9
i tried to install win 10 pro on a friends machine and used a 8.1 pro serial when it was asking for a serial and it didnt say that the serialwas invalid and windows activated with that numbers, however... this was after the upgrade was already done before. so im still not sure if it would work with a non upgraded machine. will try it on another machine perhaps

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I believe you must UPGRADE the machine from Windows 7, 8, 8.1 to Windows 10 at SOME POINT for the Key to be transcoded on the Microsoft Product Key server. Once you've done that, you can use that key for installing Windows 10 fresh, which you've done Wulff. That's why it worked.

If you just wipe the PC, then try install Win10, it'll reject your key. It's an annoying experience to go through.

P.S. if you don't like Windows 10, you've got 30 days to go back to your previous operating system before your converted Key is PERMANENLY Win 10. I think you need to use a Microsoft Service on their site to do this though,

toronto699
Level 13

toronto699 wrote:
W10 November update from W7, W8 , to W10 Version 1511 , 10586
http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-makes-it-possible-to-activate-with-windows-7-8...

This update is stupid... for some reason it uninstalls some software. I think MS knows and is trying to address the problem.

toronto699
Level 13
The New W10 10586 by Microsoft Update , it uninstall my Sony Vegas Software , GPU-Z , GPU Tweak , a few other W8 apps, and Mcafee now Mcafee will not install W10 Mcafee
Microsoft has a plan, everything must be Microsoft or else ...lol , They know where u live

Maxter
Level 9
The system will automatically make partitions for you. If you don't like them, you can change them using the disk management option after everything is said and done.