cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Gaming Laptop, MSI or ASUS, G751JY or G752VT?

wolfrose
Level 7
Hello,


I've been looking for a gaming laptop, as it would be so cool to game when I travel to Europe or maybe USA.

Also, I've been thinking about MSI gaming laptops; and there are really very good deals on Amazon right now.

Like;

GE72 Core i7-5700HQ,GTX970M,16GB DDR3L,Windows 10
$1,299.00

MSI GT72 Dominator-019 Gaming Laptop + Hermes Bundle, with;
Display: 17.3" Full HD, Anti-Glare IPS Wide View Angle
Processor: Intel Core i7-6820HK 2.7GHz (Skylake)
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Storage: 1TB (7200RPM)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5
for $1599

>> Very good specs :cool:



MSI Computer G Series GE72 Apache Pro-001 17.3" Laptop
• Intel Core i7-6700HQ, CPU Speed 2.6 GHz with Turbo Boost upto 3.5 Ghz.
• 16GB DDR4 memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD.
• 1024 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 128 GB, M.2 SATA Solid-State Drive.
• 17.3 Inch Full HD eDP Non Reflection.
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M Graphics, Windows 10 Home, Video Memory 3G GDDR5.
for $1499



>>>>>> THESE MSI deals are WOW 😮


And, I'm thinking of two cool ASUS versions.

ASUS ROG G751JY-WH71(WX) 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M 4GB DDR5 VRAM, 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD (Win 10 Version) for $1568


ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 17 Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M 3GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1TB, 128 PCIe G3 x4 SSD (ROG Copper Titanium) for $1,649.00



>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now I need to know whether to go for MSI or ASUS, and which one?
It's not very difficult issue, I just have to choose any laptop and order it.

I'm also, want to discuss opinions and recommendations. And want to see if any of ASUS ROG fans would recommend me to go for MSI laptops 🙂


So, welcome to discussion and ideas.
11,926 Views
15 REPLIES 15

toronto699
Level 13
Asus G752
but a better Graphic Card Would be better , like the 980m $200 more I think

toronto699 wrote:
Asus G752
but a better Graphic Card Would be better , like the 980M $200 more I think


That would be best option.
Best G752 models is G752VY... But he is more expensive, In Serbia he cost 2.300e
I think it's smarter to go on G752 version because ASUS probably made some cooling improvements compare to G751 series.
Compare holes on back side. G752 have much bigger space on back side. That mean lot for laptops.
Gaming laptop can't be thin and closed as others.
If money is problem for G752VY with GTX980M than you say G752VT 1.650$.

GX700 will have probably same performance as desktop PC. 🙂

Vlada011 wrote:
That would be best option.
Best G752 models is G752VY... But he is more expensive, In Serbia he cost 2.300e


Well, Croatia just received a shipment of the VY serie and ... it costs around 2.400e ->
http://www.arhiteh.hr/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=300_223&products_id=13195

Austria and Germany are in the preorder stage for the 8GB GPU, and the price is ABSURDLY small (2.099e) ->
http://www.syswork.at/sw/index.html?open&mid=Artikel&artid=nb-1785

The latter would be my candidate...

I have been trying to figure out the same exact questions. i currently have a g752VL was not happy with it (returning it tomorrow) . So i got in the mail today a g752VT just to see if there was any difference. My issues are ssd related. But i have also been eyeing the GT72.I will be installing a new SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB in the VT version to see if it makes a difference. Its just hard to understand how my almost 4 year old envy will boot up faster than this newer VL using my current samsung ssd (sata )

Sniffy
Level 7
The fastest gaming laptop out of those listed is the one with the 980M. CPU is far less important.

Jlieu
Level 7
Try MSI, Asus Is bugged. I'm going to purchase MSI later. Need to find a New Brand now.

toronto699 wrote:
Asus G752


I know it's better, because it has new features. Like; DDR4, PCIe SSD, new look, ... etc.

And also, I think the 980m in the 751 is also very important, because it's faster and has 4GB VRAM. I think CPU performance is not very far, they still i7.



Sniffy wrote:
The fastest gaming laptop out of those listed is the one with the 980M. CPU is far less important.


Yes, I agree with you. I have 780 classified in my gaming rig with 3GB VRAM.

I play BF4 most the time. Is 970m powerful enough to play it like on my gaming rig?

I saw benchmarks and reviews of 970m and 980m, and there's of course a difference in the FPS ratio.

So, it still a hard decision 🙂

Jlieu wrote:
Try MSI, Asus Is bugged. I'm going to purchase MSI later. Need to find a New Brand now.


Why? Could you tell me what is you experience with ASUS, and why you think of MSI?

What you think of the dominator I listed above?

Sniffy
Level 7
The 970M is a great GPU and I'm very happy with mine. But if you wanted the best performance/$, the one with the 980M will give you that. Usually 980M laptops are supposed to be several hundred dollars more expensive. The G751 was the previous model though and is thus discounted.

If you want a Skylake laptop then by all means go for it (I recommend the G752 but I am a little bias in favor of ASUS I guess), but keep in mind that 970M->980M will always show a more tangible difference than Haswell->Skylake does, at least for games.

I have a G751 personally but I've had an MSI laptop in the past. MSI are pretty good tbh but I dislike how flimsy the new chassis' they use feel. The bottom panel of the laptop can be pressed in so far it touches the motherboard. The G751 (and probaby G752) are built like tanks in comparison. They're also usually quieter than MSI's, ASUS have always nailed cooling. But again, I'm probably a little bias. I would suggest watching videos about them and seeing whether the MSIs or ASUS laptops appeal to you (design etc).

If you do go MSI I would recommend the GT72 Dominator laptops. The GE line is thinner and lighter but also the cooling is nowhere near as good as the GT72 or the ASUS G751/752.

JustinThyme wrote:

I had also been looking at the G751JY WX versions as they are the cheapest out of any of them for what you get. I passed this over for a couple of reason, I already have a better G751JY and mostly I wanted to venture into the next generation. The addition of DDR4 boosts speeds even more and again lower power consumption. Then there is NVMe support with blazingly fast M2 SSD speeds. Some will argue that its not fully compatible because Samsung software wont work correctly. I get the same performance without it. The 128GB that comes with them though has been shown to be terminally disappointing in speeds. Get at least the 256 or count on buying one afterwards.

There are better deals than whats on amazon, nearly always.


So, you already had G751JY before you look to the hands-on MSI and receiving the e-mail offer of the G752VT?
Then you passed the e-mail offer because you have G751JY which has a 980m, so you know the 970m would different in the performance because you have enough experience, and then the difference is obvious if you purchase the G752. OK!! because it's $1999 and they won't take your G751 as a replacement. So, it's easy choice.

OK, my other concerns about the specs:
1. The PCIe SSD which come with G752 is not fully at the required performance?
2. Do you mean you get the same performance with the original SSD in G751?
3. "Get at least the 256 or count on buying one afterwards.", do you mean to get 256 for G752? why would I do that if the PCIe had shown such problems as you mentioned?
4. Where are the better deals? I saw the deals on newegg, and I think Amazon has very good deals.

Thank you,

Vlada011 wrote:
Best G752 models is G752VY... But is more expensive, In Serbia cost 2.300e
I think it's smarter to go on G752 version because ASUS probably made some cooling improvements compare to G751 series.
Compare holes on back side. G752 have much bigger space on back side. That mean lot for laptops.
If money is problem for G752VY with GTX980M than you say G752VT 1.650$.

Yes, you provided similar ideas of what I think, the G752VY would be absolutely expensive.
I think the G752 has similar vent space as the G751. So, I think the cooling is not very different. Maybe there "ASUS probably made some cooling improvements".
Your reply is smart, I think now G751 is not so different than G752 except for RAM and SSD improvement.

I think the 980m is bigger ++

Corporal wrote:
ASUS ROG G751JY-WH71(WX) > ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72
Bigger battery than G752VT, better GPU, costs less. SSD has better write performance out of the box.
Can't say anything about the MSI, never owned one, but if it's about the same price, always go with GTX 980m insteadof GTX 970m. CPU is not as important for gaming performance.

Right on !!
I like you recommendation 🙂

dunedune wrote:
I highly recommend to buy MSI

Why? I like them too. There are very good offers on Amazon.
The GT72 comes with backpack and a game bundle.

Very nice to who really wants the dominator.

Sniffy wrote:
The 970M is a great GPU and I'm very happy with mine. But if you wanted the best performance/$, the one with the 980M will give you that. Usually 980M laptops are supposed to be several hundred dollars more expensive. The G751 was the previous model though and is thus discounted.
If you want a Skylake laptop then by all means go for it (I recommend the G752 but I am a little bias in favor of ASUS I guess), but keep in mind that 970M->980M will always show a more tangible difference than Haswell->Skylake does, at least for games.

I have a G751 personally but I've had an MSI laptop in the past. MSI are pretty good tbh but I dislike how flimsy the new chassis' they use feel. The bottom panel of the laptop can be pressed in so far it touches the motherboard. The G751 (and probaby G752) are built like tanks in comparison. They're also usually quieter than MSI's, ASUS have always nailed cooling. But again, I'm probably a little bias. I would suggest watching videos about them and seeing whether the MSIs or ASUS laptops appeal to you (design etc).

If you do go MSI I would recommend the GT72 Dominator laptops. The GE line is thinner and lighter but also the cooling is nowhere near as good as the GT72 or the ASUS G751/752.


Yes, the GT72 has a good price now on Amazon.

I think I'm more attracted to ASUS versions and also still attracted to the GT72, it looks cool with the bottom cooling area.
Also the GE72 has more air space at the bottom than ASUS laptops.

I'm thinking more to the G751 and more attracted to the new cool G752.

So, I guess I need more time to take my final decision.

Regards,