cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Pascal VBIOS Unlocks "WIP"

Dreamonic
Level 12
If you don't already know, using NVFlash with Pascal and modified ROMs isn't successful yet, unless it's with official ROMs from various manufacturers. Those ROMs can be flashed back and forth without certification issues but make one change to a stock ROM and NVFlash will return with errors upon flashing it, preventing the update from happening altogether. So I may have to disassemble this notebook again to use my programmer on the SOIC located near the GPU if another updated NVFlash version doesn't address the licensing issue that Joe Dirt is saying he's having trouble bypassing. Below is what I noticed with the desktop and laptop variants of the 1070 regarding TDP; I will update the dynamic voltage offset finds later on.

The 115W is what the laptop 1070 TDP is set to, unlike the desktop 1070 which is 151W with the ability to adjust the TDP to 170W before throttling occurs; In GPU-Z this would be a PerfCap Reason of "Pwr", limiting boost clocks along with "VRel" flag, also preventing boost clocks from going any further due to current voltage.

Next is the TEMP limit. This cannot be adjusted on laptop versions like it can on the desktop ones. The values used with the desktop version below show up as 2656 (60 0A) and 2944 (80 0B), which divided by 32 equals 83 and 92. This translates to your adjustable temp min and max limits.

Found the core/memory clocks. Some 16-bit integers require 16384 (as this represents 0) to be subtracted from the selected value, then divide the end result by 2 to get actual clocks, whereas others like 16-bit unsigned integers, require the value to be subtracted by 32768 (16384 double) and then the end result divided by 2 to get actual clocks.

Updated ...

I'm trying to make sense of the voltage table, and Pascal uses a voltage range just like Maxwell and Kepler did, but instead of having voltage stepping per boost clock state now, it has a voltage range consisting of lower voltage offsets < 6mV in some states in the table. These offsets can be combined in various states in the range which I believe is how voltage increases and decreases with Pascal.

I'll continue looking though as I'm not convinced my find is even accurate.

Work In Progress ...
7 REPLIES 7

Compwxr
Level 9
Great work 🙂
- Compwxr - Volter Team - Check us at http://voltground.com

Dreamonic
Level 12
So after spending some time looking at the board again, located the SOIC for the GPU and dumped it with my programmer, compared ROMs from previous NVFlash dump and they matched so all was good for testing a modified one out (thinking programming it would have worked over NVFlash). Nope! The same exact thing happens as well. Any minor change within the areas that are 'falcon' protected (AFAIK), prevent it from booting. I flash back to the original and no problem again.

So now the curiosity gets to me... I do another dump with NVFlash and to my surprise, when I compared the last 2 ROMs (3rd pic), each one flashed successfully still but there were different values at the beginning and end (highlighted). If you add only the changes up in int8 individually, you get 149. I could take the one off the desktop 1070 and replace the one on mine and it will be no problem. I touch anything near the boost, temp or tdp sections by even one digit, It won't boot. Checksum corrected or not. I even flashed a desktop ASUS official 1070 (10DE 1B81) VBIOS, even if Device IDs are different (10DE 1BE1 = mobile 1070) just to see if the Notebook would at least boot (showing keyboard and activity lights) but no display as I figured would happen. I knew it wouldn't work successfully with a desktop VBIOS, but the fact remains, the official VBIOS ROMs that are still different in areas (unlocked or adjustable within range for clocks, power and voltage) where you can't edit them with your own, and yet still flash with NVFlash successfully.... It's so strange...

Anyway, I'll keep trying other things but that's about where I'm at right now with it.

GPU VBIOS - SOIC8-150: 1.8v - Chip ID = EF 60 14
System BIOS - SOIC8-208: 3.3V - Chip ID = EF 40 17

SOICs are W25Q80 and W25Q64

warryabel
Level 7
real hardcore:cool:

Great work, your numbers are as good as a desktop machine and the competition (GT73VR with lots of OC on it).

You are just on the wrong forum to discuss this!
Go to the g752VS topic on NBR and show this there. 😉

Dreamonic
Level 12
Thanks.

I prefer if people want to comment on it, they can do so here or over on my forum.

Speaking of that G752VS thread at NBR, regarding the power limits in XTU (75W/85W), take a look at mine:

Tindreal
Level 7
Hello!
What kind of SPI programmer do you recommend, which one should I buy?
Also, is it enough to flash the modded GTX1060 vBIOS to W25Q80 chip ?

Tindreal
Level 7
sry, double