cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard backlights are blinking ! - solved?

c_inconnu
Level 8
hi,
even after (or maybe because, i'm not sure) updating windows and the drivers (with asus update), my keyboard backlights are blinking. The backlights have 4 states : when set to the max or to the min, they don't blink (full on and full off) ; but in the 2 intermediary states, well, they blink...
is this a known bug ? is there a patch or something ?
thanks
16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
How fast are they blinking? I've never heard of that before.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dstrakele
Level 14
Unless this is a new feature - do they flash to music playing on the laptop? ;>{)> , it sounds like your ATK Package driver that controls the keyboard backlight is corrupted. I'm assuming you already rebooted and found this does not change the behavior. I'd be tempted to do a Windows System Restore to the time before the updates to see if it changes the behavior.

Otherwise, I would go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", right-click on "ATK Package" and choose "Repair" from the popup menu. If that failed, I'd download the ATK Package for your specific laptop from the ASUS web site, then uninstall your current ATK Package, REBOOT, and reinstall the ATK Package you downloaded.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

as a matter of fact, and for a different reason, i just reinstalled windows 7, and that doesn't change a thing.
i'll try your suggestions, thanks

edit : hope that's not the hardware...

dstrakele
Level 14
I agree with @xeromist - this issue is a first for ASUS laptops.

Still playing 20 questions... What is the complete model number of your laptop?

How long have you owned it?

DId you do an a) ASUS Factory Recovery to reinstall Windows 7 or b) perform a clean Win 7 install?

What version of the ATK Package are you currently running?

Have you been playing around with Winamp visualization options? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwdjvm1aV20

G75VW T1042V (i added some RAM and replaced a HD with a SSD)

dstrakele
Level 14
I added some addtional questions to my previous post.

kiba
Level 10
definitely strange, that's my first time seeing this

EDIT: dstrakele and xeromist already asked all the questions i was going to, but i do agree that you should check ATK package first.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

Well, I powered it on this morning and the keyboard was not blinking anymore (I rebooted at least 5 times yesterday).
But... the USB ports are not working now (they was in my previous install) !!! I tried to install the latest driver version from Asus site but still no luck.
This is driving me crazy :confused: (and I don't tell you my Ubuntu story, a nightmare - this is a dual boot).

To answer to your question, this was a fresh Windows install from a W7 Home CD. Here is exactly what I've done, no less, no more :

• installed W7 with UEFI from a W7 Home CD
  • installed drivers from the bundled Asus CD
  • installed W7 SP1 downloaded from MS site
  • installed W7 updates using Windows Update
  • installed Asus updated drivers using Asus Update
  • and then I reinstalled the USB driver downloaded from the Asus site

I'll try this evening to restore Windows to the previous recovery point.

dstrakele
Level 14
When I see you report the blinking stopped after the laptop sat overnite (when 5 reboots and a new Windows install failed to resolve it yesterday), it sounds like a component needed to discharge for the laptop to function correctly, similar to removing the battery, pressing the Power On button for 30 seconds to discharge the laptop, then plugging in and starting.

Are you sure the power outlet you're using is properly grounded?

You now report a new USB issue. What steps did you take to re-install the USB driver?

If I was in your situation and still within your retailer's exchange/return period, I would return the system to stock configuration and attempt to reproduce any issues. If issues did occur, I would exchange the laptop for a new unit.

From what I've read, having to discharge the laptop prior to startup for it to function correctly is only a temporary fix to a larger hardware problem. It's best to get rid of such a system if you can. The highly unusual "blinking keyboard backlight" issue was your warning to expect trouble from this laptop...