cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Laptop Plugged in the entire time....

USN
Level 7
I was curious to know if leaving your laptop plugged in the entire time would mess up the batery?...or should you let your battery drain every know and then.
22,448 Views
13 REPLIES 13

fuzon1337
Level 10
It is many rumors about how to get the best battery life for the laptop batteries.

Some say that you have to drain the battery down to 10% (aka when the last message about you have to plug in the ac adapter) and charge it up to 100%, and repeat 2-3 times.

Others say that you should drain the battery down to 50% and then start charging again.

But I daubt you're going to have it plugged in all the time. I think it's best for the battery to sometimes allow to use the battery then just getting the power from ac adapter.

If you have bought your new notebook as a desktop replacement, and you know that you will not move it around, then you can safely just leave the battery out (to spare it)....

But if this is what you have bought it for, then I would recommend to have the battery in all the time if the power goes out or the charger falls out from your notebook (so it wont have any sudden shutdowns and important files or something can get lost)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
It is many rumors about how to get the best battery life for the laptop batteries.

Some say that you have to drain the battery down to 10% (aka when the last message about you have to plug in the ac adapter) and charge it up to 100%, and repeat 2-3 times.

Others say that you should drain the battery down to 50% and then start charging again.

But I daubt you're going to have it plugged in all the time. I think it's best for the battery to sometimes allow to use the battery then just getting the power from ac adapter.

If you have bought your new notebook as a desktop replacement, and you know that you will not move it around, then you can safely just leave the battery out (to spare it)....

But if this is what you have bought it for, then I would recommend to have the battery in all the time if the power goes out or the charger falls out from your notebook (so it wont have any sudden shutdowns and important files or something can get lost)



I leave mine plugged in all the time...but once i week i let the battery drain all the way down to like 2 % then charge it back to 100.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hehe, I don't say that I have the answer to how to get the best battery life or what happends if you leave the battery on all the time with charging.
The worst thing that could/can happend is that the battery stops working, and if that happends (within a year, since the battery have one year guarantee) you can RMA it and get a new one free..... if I'm not wrong 🙂

Or you'll have to buy a new battery 😛
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hehe, I don't say that I have the answer to how to get the best battery life or what happends if you leave the battery on all the time with charging.
The worst thing that could/can happend is that the battery stops working, and if that happends (within a year, since the battery have one year guarantee) you can RMA it and get a new one free..... if I'm not wrong 🙂

Or you'll have to buy a new battery 😛



True 😛 with the warranty there should be any issues.

dstrakele
Level 14
Here is an article that recommends removing the battery if the laptop is plugged in all the time: http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/Battery_max.htm

I'd say it has a reliable source...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Here is an article that recommends removing the battery if the laptop is plugged in all the time: http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/battery/Battery_max.htm

I'd say it has a reliable source...


Makes sense...But i dont know, taking off the battery and just running straight from the wall doesn't seem right lol

dstrakele
Level 14
Your Desktop,TV, and Stereo do it, right? Let your laptop join the party...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

BrodyBoy
Level 10
USN wrote:
I was curious to know if leaving your laptop plugged in the entire time would mess up the batery?...or should you let your battery drain every know and then.

I leave my laptops plugged in most of the time...never had a battery issue with any of them (about a dozen or so).

But your post begs the question: If you run it on AC all the time, why worry about the battery.....?

BrodyBoy wrote:
I leave my laptops plugged in most of the time...never had a battery issue with any of them (about a dozen or so).

But your post begs the question: If you run it on AC all the time, why worry about the battery.....?


When you have the laptop plugged in the entire time wouldn't it affect the battery since its being charged 24/7?