cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just how bad is the G55 sound chip (with headphones)?

snapperwhip
Level 8
Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this kind of question, as I know the G5's sound issues have been talked about ad nauseum.

I'm considering a G55 to replace my old G51 (which is getting worrisome now that I've moved from the temperate to the tropical zone---the poor thing can't really stand the heat), and for the most part the system seems to suit my needs perfectly. I don't really use the built-in speakers that often, so the speakers themselves aren't an issue if there's a workaround to make them at least function properly...........but I've heard conflicting word on these forums about the quality of the sound chip, on headphones. It sounds a bit odd to me since handling digital signals to an output should be a no-brainer these days, as long as the output device is decent, but as I'm not knowledgeable in sound chip design and quality and I'm unfamiliar with the chip manufacturer, I do worry.

So. If I can have a moment of your time, may I ask how the sound is on external output devices? I don't really care about rich/powerful bass as long as it's not muddy, the mids are crisp and the highs are clear. I have a pair of headphones with a sound stage that I've yet to be disappointed with, so the output part of the equation could probably be considered covered.

This is probably a rather idiotic question for those in the know. I really do apologize.

Thank you for your time!
8 REPLIES 8

bignazpwns
Level 11
Well sound is perceived differently by each person. People love Beats I think they sound like junk and some $40 cans sound better.

The sound system is not the best. I still prefer a high end external card but if you use a nice EQ and know how to use it and have a nice pair of cans then you will get nice sound. Don't expect studio sound but you will have nice sound. Also people who usually cry about it are people who don't know much about Audio. They will buy a set of $400 top of the line cans then listen to a MP3 not knowing they need to listen to a lossless format other then that the sound will pretty much be the same from any decent cans lol.

Sum it up. If you got nice headphones the sound will be fine as long as you know how to adjust you're EQ.

Just be ready for people to tell you to get a MacBook pro lol.

dparish2
Level 7
The EQ takes some adjusting but it sounds pretty good headphones. Remember that the type of headphones and audio file quality/video quality (CD/DVD rip, MP3, crappy torrent download) play a big part, I mostly use the Bose QuietComfort 3 and I'm more than satisfied.

snapperwhip
Level 8
Thank you very much for your opinions so far!

Well, I never expected studio sound quality from a laptop! XD It'd be a big relief if the EQ really helps matters. I use an Etymotic ER-4 for the computer, and if it sounds decent on a Bose it should be okay on mine. For my threshold of 'okay', anyway, which is not terribly high to begin with.

On a side note, what would be a good external sound card to look out for? I don't think I'll buy it in the near future, but it could be a good investment later on. (We only have Creative Labs' stuff around these parts, btw.)

Vicodin
Level 10
Hello! I have an Asus G55vw. It is by far the best computer I have ever owned and I really have no complaints! I will say about the only downfall to the G55 is the speakers. I have a $800 Toshiba laptop that has built in Harmon Kardon Speakers and they blow these out of the water. Now in response to your question about the sound card with headphones, I did feel it was crappy at first. I am currently using Razer Kraken Pro Black headphones and when I first hooked them up I was a bit disappointed. Then I found VIA HD Audio Deck which was pre-installed on my laptop and realized I could adjust various sound settings there. Now they sound GREAT! Hope my round about post helps you! lol

To sum it up, I am guessing the majority of people that complained about the sound on headphones, did not use the advanced options in VIA HD Audio Deck.

srmojuze
Level 10
snapperwhip wrote:
Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this kind of question, as I know the G5's sound issues have been talked about ad nauseum.

I'm considering a G55 to replace my old G51 (which is getting worrisome now that I've moved from the temperate to the tropical zone---the poor thing can't really stand the heat), and for the most part the system seems to suit my needs perfectly. I don't really use the built-in speakers that often, so the speakers themselves aren't an issue if there's a workaround to make them at least function properly...........but I've heard conflicting word on these forums about the quality of the sound chip, on headphones. It sounds a bit odd to me since handling digital signals to an output should be a no-brainer these days, as long as the output device is decent, but as I'm not knowledgeable in sound chip design and quality and I'm unfamiliar with the chip manufacturer, I do worry.

So. If I can have a moment of your time, may I ask how the sound is on external output devices? I don't really care about rich/powerful bass as long as it's not muddy, the mids are crisp and the highs are clear. I have a pair of headphones with a sound stage that I've yet to be disappointed with, so the output part of the equation could probably be considered covered.

This is probably a rather idiotic question for those in the know. I really do apologize.

Thank you for your time!

Here's my feedback. If you use a USB headphone I think things should be alright (sound is then dependent on the headphone more than the chip).

That said... On my G55 Turtle Beach PX5 with digital optical audio sounds excellent, slightly better than with my Xbox360, I have to say.

Bluetooth headphones (Philips SHB 9100 or something) sound great, as good as with Nexus 7, HTC One X, etc.

Analog headphone out jack with Sennheiser 239... Very crisp sounds, heavy on the bass but I do not really feel it is a sound card issue since almost all consumer headphones turn up the bass like there's no tomorrow. Luckily with Sennheiser instead of the "fashion" headphones they bother with the other frequencies too ha ha...!

FWIW I listen to a lot of Trance and Progressive as well as play games, and all in all I am quite satisfied and see no issues.

Definitely investigate things like the Astro gaming headsets because while I have not tried it myself I hear good things about it (pun unintended LOL).

Lastly, speakers... Again, it's not so much for super-musical-clarity but I find for gaming it is quite alright with enough volume and an "atmospheric" feel.

All on stock Windows 8 Pro driver no Via or what not drivers installed.

Vicodin wrote:
Hello! I have an Asus G55vw. It is by far the best computer I have ever owned and I really have no complaints! I will say about the only downfall to the G55 is the speakers. I have a $800 Toshiba laptop that has built in Harmon Kardon Speakers and they blow these out of the water. Now in response to your question about the sound card with headphones, I did feel it was crappy at first. I am currently using Razer Kraken Pro Black headphones and when I first hooked them up I was a bit disappointed. Then I found VIA HD Audio Deck which was pre-installed on my laptop and realized I could adjust various sound settings there. Now they sound GREAT! Hope my round about post helps you! lol

To sum it up, I am guessing the majority of people that complained about the sound on headphones, did not use the advanced options in VIA HD Audio Deck.

WARNING: Digression... I don't intend to derail the thread, just sharing.

All I can say is ironically after getting the MacBook Pro Retina 15" (which luckily I returned within the 14 days allowed). This Asus ROG G55 ~is~ the best laptop I have ever owned. Sure, whether Apple or other brand laptops may be thinner, lighter, better, faster, whatever, for what my needs are and what I enjoy to do, despite the weight... well, colour me happy.

I was really disappointed with the MacBook Pro Retina 15" because it was my first recent "flagship" Mac product and it is nothing like the MacBook Pro 17" for example. The MBP Retina 15" had really loud fan noise when running at max, despite sounding super-quiet during say 50% or lower CPU/GPU usage... The Retina display was superb but when it first came out everything was laggy and not so optimised for it. They boasted about the sound quality but I didn't hear anything super special. Really sad, but I'm glad I trusted my instincts, just not the same without Steve Jobs.

That said too I'm glad I didn't go for any run-of-the-mill PC laptop, I've heard horror stories about Acer, and the "business-grade" laptops might be appealing but I wanted "gaming-grade" in my heart, I guess...

FWIW I've been a mixed Mac-PC user (believe it or not, we do exist) for about 10 years now, but this year, 2013, I got rid of all my Apple stuff. Just so sour without Steve Jobs and Apple still prancing around like they're all that yet without the substance to back it up. But that's a tale for another day.

Just thought I'd make an update, since I got a G55 earlier than expected. (Long story short, they happened to have one in stock when I went to make an order.)

The speakers on this thing are, indeed, as atrocious as everyone says, although for things I use speakers for they're pretty harmless. However, I listen to classicals when I work on the machine, and you know the thing with classicals....they're demanding. I honestly do not expect the BEST THING EVER out of classicals on computer+headphones, all considered, but seriously? Whoever worked on the high frequencies should go jump into a river. I haven't heard highs this bad since mom's car from twenty years ago with trebles all set to max. With tape cassettes. And clear highs are these headphones' strength! It gets clear highs on an iPod, for god's sake!

Luckily, it's nothing a trip to the equalizer can't alleviate, but still. I'm still tinkering with it to find settings that best suit me. VIA GUYS ARE YOU DEAF.

The rest of the laptop, though, is a wonderful work of art. ROG has clearly learned from their mistakes. This thing runs cold under mid-to-heavy load for an entire day, only getting mildly warm at points, whereas G51 would've fried my hands and its own mainboard long ago. The screen and viewing angles are lovely. Port and power socket locations make it much more convenient. No problems screaming for a trip to the headache pills. All in all I'm really quite happy with it. My ears should acclimatize in a week or two, and after that me and the new lappy shall have a swell future together. (I used to have a Toshiba with Harman-Kardon before switching to Asus. I know it happens.)

Thank you, everyone, for the help and opinions!

WontonNoodle
Level 8
It is really awful. I recommend getting a Asus Xonar U3 for good sound, totally worth it.

tkolarik
Level 9
I would not pay Asus more money for something to replace a defect!

However, I got a great Logitech H800, it can do wifi or bluetooth and pair with up to like 8 different devices at on time. And its cordless!