cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a g74sx-bbk8

Nerbs
Level 7
Ok so I just bought this laptop from best buy and everything is going good but people keep telling me that graphics cards in laptops burn out and I'm gonna have to be replacing it soon like within a year or so. Is this true ?
10 REPLIES 10

PILGRIM
Level 11
If those people are right, I'm afraid you won't be able to replace your graphics card.
The GPU of your G74 is soldered on the motherboard..

If they're wrong, you'll be enjoying your G74 for as long as it allows you to..

Welcome to the Forum. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-3DE

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

It depends on the video card itself. It happens that one experiences a shorter life span on the video card, while another has it for several years without problems.

When you buy a such expensive notebook, I don't think this is one of the cards that burn out after 1 year.
I also haven't heard of any in this forum with that issue/situation.

If you would experience that the card burns out within 2 years, you will have the possibility to RMA it and get it replaced for free by your warranty.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Oh wow, I really hope I don't have any problems then and hopefully you not hearing anything on here about it is a good sign but I didn't buy the warranty I'm pretty sure I still can and I probably should

PILGRIM
Level 11
Now, I'm not sure if this would make the two of us feel any better..
That for 6 years, this G74 has been my 4th ASUS laptop (the other 3 are of the low-end types).
And I've yet to experience RMAing any one of them.
In fact, even my "old faithful" ASUS Z99 (6 years old) is still alive and kicking (minus the touch pad)..

In short, worry only IF the problem is there.
If there isn't, why bother?.. Enjoy your G74. :cool:
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:

In short, worry only IF the problem is there.
If there isn't, why bother?.. Enjoy your G74
. :cool:

Hugs and kisses for you.. for this haha
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

ColonelS wrote:
Hugs and kisses for you.. for this haha

Hugs are okay. But kisses?.. Eeww!.. 🙂
ASUS G74SX-3DE

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Nerbs wrote:
Ok so I just bought this laptop from best buy and everything is going good but people keep telling me that graphics cards in laptops burn out and I'm gonna have to be replacing it soon like within a year or so. Is this true ?

Hopefully, PILGRIM convinced you not to worry about this. It's covered by warranty for two years, and if you're in the U.S. and paid for it with a credit card, you probably have another year of coverage after that.

All that said, video cards are one of the more vulnerable components in a laptop. In a few that I've had, that was the failure that finally spelled end-of-life for those machines. (In all but one case, the GPU failed after the warranty had expired, so I upgraded rather than repaired.) For this reason, I really wish manufacturers would always use socketed cards, so owners would have more options if failure does occur.

dstrakele
Level 14
@ColonelS seems like a nice guy, but his avatar frightens me....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
@ColonelS seems like a nice guy, but his avatar frightens me....

Ha ha!.. Me, too. I actually promised him "hugs and kisses" only if he removes the mask..
ASUS G74SX-3DE