cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a hello from a new member and a question about dead pixels

UnAimed
Level 9
Hi,

I bought a G55VW earlier this month and so far I have been extremely happy with it! Great build quality, performance and it just stays so cool and quiet, I love it 😄

One thing that is bothering me right now though is what I believe are two dead pixels which are always grey so most visible on light images such as in a word document or when browsing the web. I'm probably being really fussy about it but I just can't stop noticing it. My question is, would it be possible to get it fixed i.e send it to Asus for repair so they can mount a new panel or possibly send it back to the company I bought it from? (bought from ExcaliberPC on ebay) And would it be covered under warranty, if not what would you guys estimate the cost would be for a new Panel? I just want to know what my options are. My Model is the the G55VW-DH71

Thanks in advance, Alex
8 REPLIES 8

Jihilian
Level 7
If is in warranty, just go for it. A LCD is not cheap. Guessing, a 15% of notebook.

Jihilian wrote:
If is in warranty, just go for it. A LCD is not cheap. Guessing, a 15% of notebook.

Probably a higher percentage. If you have a warranty with ExcaliburPC, then by all means talk to them ASAP. Even if you cannot get it resolved (sometimes pixels can be unstuck) in the 30 days, you have proof of the problems so that they should still replace the notebook. From what I hear, they are a really good vendor and take care of their customers.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

If you have warranty with ExcaliburPC, talk to them and see how it goes if not:

Keep your proof of purchase and send it to ASUS for a check:

http://support.asus.com/hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Clintlgm
Level 14
With a new NB in the US you have 30 days to report bad pixels, not sure about E-bay you'll have to check with your vendor on return policy. Check with Asus Tech support you only have 30 days.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

UnAimed
Level 9
Thanks for the reply guys. I contacted ExcaliberPC and they said I can send it back to them to get it repaired for free but I will need to pay for shipping which is a more than fair deal since I don't have the extended warranty from ExcaliberPC but I will need sleep on it since the shipping alone will cost me upward of $300 and I want to make sure that I don't get charged another $300 by customs again either.

Also I should have mentioned this before but I did try to unstuck it by massaging it and applying a warm cloth but nothing seems to work sadly.

UnAimed wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys. I contacted ExcaliberPC and they said I can send it back to them to get it repaired for free but I will need to pay for shipping which is a more than fair deal since I don't have the extended warranty from ExcaliberPC but I will need sleep on it since the shipping alone will cost me upward of $300 and I want to make sure that I don't get charged another $300 by customs again either.

Also I should have mentioned this before but I did try to unstuck it by massaging it and applying a warm cloth but nothing seems to work sadly.

:S $300..at least ExcaliberPC gonna help you out for freee 🙂
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

cheek
Level 9
I'm sorta in the same predicament. Mine is one single green pixel.
My advice is if it bothers u that much go buy a LCD screen off eBay or local store and change it yourself. It's pretty easy. And far cheaper than shipping + custom tax. I would say 100 usd tops for a non-3d. Or if those guys offer u the repair and u didn't hv the extended warranty. Why not try and ask them to send u a LCD? U pay the shipping. LCD cost is on them.
On another note they probably knowingly scam u. They knew u are not local. Send a lousy LCD laptop to u and knew very well u would not send it back for free repair because of the cost. Cause that's wat happen to me.

UnAimed
Level 9
I decided to keep it for now. Although it bothers me its very insignificant and not worth hundreds of bucks in shipping costs to repair. Thanks for the input guys. 🙂