cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is witcher 3 deserving for my $59 on steam?

ghunter323
Level 7
hi guys, I want to buy witcher 3 but something is holding me not to. I have red all the comment and all they say is this game is the best of all games they played... is it worth it to buy for 59$? or is there other game on steam you might want to recommend? that will last 3-6months playing it and I will still enjoy it? btw, my unit is g751JT-DB73
19 REPLIES 19

Witcher 3 ran fine on my G751JY although had some lockups/freezes but disregarding this the game is one heck of a ride and totally worth the money. I think actually the game runs better now as the developer released several patches and keeps fixing the game post release. They are also about to release a major DLC for the game to give you even more gameplay. Go and grab (if you got time to invest cause the game takes probably 60-100 hrs to complete...)!

Witchers 3 Runs At 20-30 fps in ASUS ROG JT With NVIDIA Hair Works On
Witchers 3 Runs at 30-40 FPS in ASUS ROG JT with NVIDIA Hair Works Off

Witchers 3 Runs at 30-40 FPS In ASUS ROG JY With NVIDIA Hair Works On
Witchers 3 Runs at 40-50 FPS in ASUS ROG JY With NVIDIA Hair Works Off

The difference between ASUS ROG JT And JY In Witchers 3, is 10 FPS Average.
You can turn one setting off to get the same performance as JY Like Hair works.

Saying that JT Can't Run Witchers 3 At Decent framerate is misleading because its only 10 frames less than JY. If you have JT And don't see the difference between hairworks on vs off I would suggest turning hair works off (To get JY 30-40 FPS Preformence) another setting like shadow might give even more fps boost, both ASUS ROG JY and JT Are not capable of achieving 50-60 FPS By default ultra preset.

Leo Epitav wrote:
Witchers 3 Runs At 20-30 fps in ASUS ROG JT With NVIDIA Hair Works On
Witchers 3 Runs at 30-40 FPS in ASUS ROG JT with NVIDIA Hair Works Off

Witchers 3 Runs at 30-40 FPS In ASUS ROG JY With NVIDIA Hair Works On
Witchers 3 Runs at 40-50 FPS in ASUS ROG JY With NVIDIA Hair Works Off

The difference between ASUS ROG JT And JY In Witchers 3, is 10 FPS Average.
You can turn one setting off to get the same performance as JY Like Hair works.

Saying that JT Can't Run Witchers 3 At Decent framerate is misleading because its only 10 frames less than JY. If you have JT And don't see the difference between hairworks on vs off I would suggest turning hair works off (To get JY 30-40 FPS Preformence) another setting like shadow might give even more fps boost, both ASUS ROG JY and JT Are not capable of achieving 50-60 FPS By default ultra preset.

Minimum overclocking will yield 35-45fps on a JT with ultra/hairworks x8AA on. I know I posted a screenshot of mine averaging 47.
ROG G551JW - i7 - 4720HQ - GTX 960 2GB - 16GB RAM
ROG G751 - i7- 4710HQ - GTX 970M 3GB - 16GB RAM

Pwltsus
Level 7
If any game is worth 60 bucks, it's Witcher 3. I put in 100+ hours. And hairworks and idiotic anti-aliasing and aniso etc can be turned off and you won't see the difference. Just play on high, it'll be the ****.

player1_fanatic
Level 7
Any ROG laptop with GTX 850M and upwards can "run" the Witcher 3 with playable framerate, it is just question of details and resolution.

Also I never even noticed the difference between Ultra and Low shadows. Exempt that Low gives much better performance.

Hairworks off is also great performance boost, although they added hairworks setting tweaks in recent patches, so it can be fine tuned instead of just turned on or off.

What I dislike with hairworks is that it was so selectively used. Some monsters use it, Geralt hair and Roach use it, yet all other NPC hair is not using hairworks. Just lame...

Also Foliage Distance reduction from Ultra to High gives great boost in performance, without really affecting immersion.

ghunter323
Level 7
Thanks for the replies' guys, maybe I should wait for the sales for all witcher 3, I heard that previous witcher are also good in plot. for now just bought tombraider at $4 while waiting for the big discount:)

I asked the same question on Twitter (for a retail copy instead of Steam) yesterday, and the response was a unanimous yes. Seems like Witcher 3 is getting the same type of response that Skyrim got when first released, which is something very few games get in terms of overwhelmingly positive reviews. The retail version also gives you several DLC components - I'm not sure if the Steam version does as well.

Sanctrum
Level 9
In my country Steam versions are much more expensive than box versions at media shops... Anyone can explain s it?

Sanctrum wrote:
In my country Steam versions are much more expensive than box versions at media shops... Anyone can explain s it?

You'd have to ask Steam about that. Could be related to taxes or some sort of tariff or levy on digital downloads that doesn't affect boxed copies.

arrtaas
Level 9