cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anywhere that you can send your g series to be upgraded?

djboombea
Level 7
I was wanting to know if there a place i can send notebooks to to be upgraded as in screen ,graphics cards and so on ?
12 REPLIES 12

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Have you looked into local laptop repair shops?

no i havent i was gonna see if anyone has already done this so id know the place is straight

djboombea wrote:
no i havent i was gonna see if anyone has already done this so id know the place is straight

There's no "official" central place that does this sort of work, and I suspect most owners here have done their own upgrades. So the odds of someone having used a shop local to you might be kind of slim (you'd need to indicate your location to find out).

If you can find one of those websites where customers post reviews of local businesses, that might be your best bet for finding a reputable local shop.

Nowhere did I get the impression that the OP is unhappy with his purchase, or didn't buy the model he wanted. (@PILGRIM and @chrsplmr, I guess I really don't get where the "sell" advice is coming from....????)

In reviewing his posts, I really think he's just worried about the increased heat and wondering what he might be able to do about it.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Is it a G74 you're looking to upgrade? (Basing that on your other threads...) What specific components do you want to upgrade? The G74 makes most "standard" upgrades very easy. The GPU isn't upgradeable, so there isn't much you can upgrade that isn't user-upgradeable (if that makes sense ;)).

yeah i have asus g74sx bkk7 i like to put in alot of hours on bf3 and it gets hot like 86-91c in like 40 mins and it never used to do this before but i figure maybe its just from putting so much time on it its just ware and tare lol i have no clue really

but it gets that hot not OCed so idk what deal is
its used to be a cool 60-75c and never got any high even after being on it for two hours
but these last two months its been running hot for no reason
so i thought maybe there was a way to upgrade it
so that it would run cooler ?

anything would help

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Sounds like the cooling system has become less efficient. There are a few things that can cause this:

• The fans and air ducts are dirty and not moving air like they used to. Particularly in environments with pets or cigarette smoke, the innards can get really dirty, nearly to the point of being completely clogged. You might try blowing some compressed air through the vents, or alternately, use a vacuum cleaner to pull some air through it. Either way, ensure that the laptop is grounded when you do this, to avoid excess static accumulation.
  • The CPU and/or GPU fan is failing or broken. Make sure that you can still feel air coming from vents in the back, and that the fans sound normal, i.e., the same as they did before. If you suspect that one isn't working, and you've taken steps to ensure it's not clogged up with dust, etc., you should RMA it for a fan replacment.
  • The CPU and/or the GPU thermal compound has dried out and is no longer conducting heat away from the chip like it's supposed to. The only fix for this is re-pasting. User re-pasting voids the warranty, so it's probably best to RMA it to Asus and have them do it.

okay yeah fans sound normal and what not
i feel a warm breeze coming out the back

seem pretty clean lol

what does RMA mean cause it sound like what i need to do lol

djboombea wrote:
what does RMA mean cause it sound like what i need to do lol

In this case, I think it's Repair Merchandise Authorization. (It usually means Return Merchandise Authorization, when you have to get authorization before returning a purchased item to the retailer.) Basically, you set up repair service with Asus, and ship it to the service center. If your G74 is overheating, your warranty should cover the repair cost.

Here's a very thorough guide to the Asus RMA process.