cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to upgrade to windows 8.1 yet?

Tom_Windschitl
Level 7
So i have had my G750 for a few months now and i have been putting off updating to 8.1 just in case any issues might need to be taken care of first. So to those who have upgraded to 8.1 have you had any issues? Is it worth it to upgrade?
30 REPLIES 30

hitchy wrote:
maybe someone could upload the content of his flash drive recovery from asus backtracker? With high speed internet nowadays its nothing to upload 16 gigs: One night and it s done!

Which version of g750 again do u have?

g750jw db-71

Tom Windschitl wrote:
g750jw db-71

Hehe that s ur Lucky day I also got the G750JW with the ref T4087H. I think we might share the same components (GPU GTX 765m) with maybe the exception for the network adapter (mine comes with the Braodcom model, which one is yours).

I would gladly share my backtracker datas with you juste gimme a hint on how to do it : do I just zip the content on my USB key and throw it to a website. If yes which one?

The only hic i see is that where I live (north African country) the connection is kinda slow compared to most of u : here we have max 900 ko/s download coupled with max 50 ko/s upload.....:( so i think it will take me the whole week end to upload it (maybe even more). But i would do it gladly if it helps

EDIT : i forgot about the variant of the Hard Drive that might be different aswell. I ve got a 750 Go HD 7200 tr/min. Do u also have a stand alone HD?

HomieOC
Level 7
i have the g750 JZ flash drive contents on my server if u want them....

HomieOC wrote:
i have the g750 JZ flash drive contents on my server if u want them....

Would that work with the JW model? Being they have different graphics cards cold there be conflicts in the drivers at all?

Tom Windschitl wrote:
Would that work with the JW model? Being they have different graphics cards cold there be conflicts in the drivers at all?

is there anyone that can verify this for us please?? thanks! if it should be fine i'll give u access to my ftp 🙂

Do you have 2 128 gb M.Sata in raid 0 and a 1 tb 7200 rpm regular hardrive? Because thats how mines setup my laptop

Tom Windschitl wrote:

HomieOC wrote:
is there anyone that can verify this for us please?? thanks! if it should be fine i'll give u access to my ftp 🙂
Do you have 2 128 gb M.Sata in raid 0 and a 1 tb 7200 rpm regular hardrive? Because thats how mines setup my laptop

Guys, it would be interesting to find out 🙂

The major difference is that the JZ install is for Windows 8.1 and the JW is Windows 8.0, with additional differences due to the Intel GPU enablement and Intel/Nvidia Optimus - externally as different apps supporting graphics. and drivers underneath.

If the built in key for Windows will support a Windows 8.1 install, and you follow up the recovery install with replacing Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops with Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards, and uninstall the Intel HD Graphics driver, it might work.

But, it wouldn't be the stock OEM install as found out of the box on the JW when Tom bought it.

The recovery process uses whatever boot disk is in Bay 1, and secondary drive in Bay 2 - erasing all the partitions on both installed drives as part of the recovery - so remove your secondary drive or back up your personal data before booting on the recovery flash drive.

It would be best to get an Asus Backtracker flash drive built from a JW, and to do it through Asus or your Asus dealer / support shop.

Be careful about distributing copyrighted OS software. If you don't have a license from Microsoft to distribute Windows, don't do it 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Guys, it would be interesting to find out 🙂

The major difference is that the JZ install is for Windows 8.1 and the JW is Windows 8.0, with additional differences due to the Intel GPU enablement and Intel/Nvidia Optimus - externally as different apps supporting graphics. and drivers underneath.

If the built in key for Windows will support a Windows 8.1 install, and you follow up the recovery install with replacing Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops with Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics cards, and uninstall the Intel HD Graphics driver, it might work.

But, it wouldn't be the stock OEM install as found out of the box on the JW when Tom bought it.

The recovery process uses whatever boot disk is in Bay 1, and secondary drive in Bay 2 - erasing all the partitions on both installed drives as part of the recovery - so remove your secondary drive or back up your personal data before booting on the recovery flash drive.

Speaking of the flash drive, HomieOC, did the other gentleman successfully use the files from your ftp hosted copy to to build a recovery flash drive for his laptop? How did that work out? Tom may need help and feedback based on that experience to get his flash drive bootable.

It would be best to get a Asus Backtracker flash drive built from a JW...

Umm, what he said^ 😄

Tom Windschitl wrote:
Umm, what he said^ 😄

just unzip it i zipped it up... Let me know 🙂

oh and its 10 GB but it should be quick i got 64 mbps down and 25 mbps UPload on my internet
www.techtopics.org/RECOVERYHDD.zip

terrybear2k
Level 8
im running happily with my g56jr with 8.1.1, smooth and slick. the only issues i have with it is the low memory issue. hope there's a permanent fix for that. memory leak from games running on different res between ingame and desktop.

MrRuckus
Level 10
Windows 8.1 works great on the G750. I would look at any other hardware you have connected to the laptop that you will use on a daily basis. I say this because I have had some serious issues with my Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset after going to 8.1. The sound is completely different and seriously degraded in quality from what they are on a Windows 7 or older OS (Win8 they sounded bad, 8.1 made them even worse). Im currently looking at getting another headset because of it and seriously pissed about it since I spent close to $100 on these headphones and they sound awesome on any older machine, just not my laptop. 😕

So I would look at your components, and look to the manufacturers for the 8.1 drivers and research to make sure you wont have any problems.. I run Windows 8.1 as my daily driver on the G750 and it runs flawless. The Headset issue is a Corsair driver issue as seen by their forums, so I cant fault the laptop for that.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72