cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internal wimax card

Helios
Level 7
I havent opened up to explore the laptops motherboard, and quite frankly im lazy to do so, so ill ask if anyone here has pioneered this area before.

I want to install an internal wimax card, into the laptop so i dont have a huge dongle from my provider on the side of my laptop, so does the motherboard have a slot for a wimax 4g card, i noticed it didnt have a pciexpress or w/e its called,

if it does what cards are compatible, i would use clear as my service provider.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

BrodyBoy
Level 10
You didn't say which laptop you have.....but most of the time, there aren't empty connectors on laptop M/Bs.....it's pretty tight in there.

By far the easiest solution would be to replace your WLAN card with an Intel model that includes WIMAX, like the 6250. WLAN cards are always pretty accessible, so there would be no need to open up your computer and access the M/B.

ah sorry i have the g53sx, and most laptops i have opened have had an extra slot next to the wlan, but like i said i havent opened the g53sx

thanks for the link

Helios wrote:
ah sorry i have the g53sx, and most laptops i have opened have had an extra slot next to the wlan, but like i said i havent opened the g53sx

thanks for the link

I've never seen anything like that in an Asus laptop. The WLAN+WIMAX card is definitely your best bet.

Just curious...do you like WIMAX? I've only known a couple people who had that in their area, and they ended up switching because they found it kind of slow and unreliable. But maybe the tech has matured since then. I assume you must like it?

BrodyBoy wrote:
I've never seen anything like that in an Asus laptop. The WLAN+WIMAX card is definitely your best bet.

Just curious...do you like WIMAX? I've only known a couple people who had that in their area, and they ended up switching because they found it kind of slow and unreliable. But maybe the tech has matured since then. I assume you must like it?

most laptops ive opened up have been dell

and at my home 4g sucks, and by sucks i mean id rather have dial up sucks, so i have a cable modem there

but where im at right now i get ~10mbps at a latency of 85ms, ill be out here for a while so its worth keeping for now. i think it just depends on your coverage, my house is on the edge of a "good" signal range, so maybe thats why i have terrible service there

but right now according to their map, im like 2 miles away from a tower, im happy with it besides the fact that i have a huge usb dongle hanging off the side of my laptop, my job needs me to be portable so 4g comes in quite handy

in my area the unlimited cheaper providers are cricket and clear, cricket is 3g which has limited capabilities and clear has 4g which can almost compare to wifi speeds with good signal

the big carriers usually throttle your speeds and also have caps, that when you go over, start charging by the mb