cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitently freezes for less than 1 seconds then back to normal...

jorlanm
Level 7
OK I noticed recently that once in a while, if im just working on the Desktop or Web Browsing...whenever click on something or something accesses the HDD my cursor would freeze and wont move for a second then back to normal...Samething with the keyboard it delays the key stroke when this happens...

Its more like a stutter...Anybodyexperienced this?

I know some G73SW models dont come with a Momentus XT HDD...which is usualy only on 3DE model and ROG...

Is it because of the HDD? Or something else?
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
The first thing I would do is bring up the processes tab of the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and just watch it to see if anything spikes on CPU usage when you get your lag. It isn't always that easy but it only takes a minute to try.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

jorlanm
Level 7
this is wierd...Im not getting it as often now...What could it be...I realy dont want to reformat my HDD again (Did this as soon as I got my Laptop last month to go Win7 Ultimate and get rid of crap ware...not to mention that crazy HDD Partition ASUS ad it set up too)
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

xeromist
You could try turning off the indexing service on your drive. File searches won't be as fast but that's one background service that touches several different parts of your system.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

jorlanm
Level 7
Im leaning more to the HDD as the culprit...but I dont know if it also affects freezing the cursor for a second...

I ave seen something ike ths before...But older slower computers who try to keep up running modern programs specialy multitasking...But since computer actualy just released about 2 months ago and I just actualy got this a month ago...I doubt its having problems running current software...

My 2nd culprit is that Im not getting enough juice...But since im using stock everything I should be good...Even though Everytime I play games my watt metter always read 150W...which is the Power Bricks Max Rating...I bet you this laptop will run even better with a 200W power Brick...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

I jus thought of something...

What was the actual fix for the cougar point issue for the Sandy Bridge chipset?

Was it hardware or firmware?

I do have the "New Revision" Sticker, plus the G73SW-3DE was never released before the whole Cougar point bug...So I dont think it has anything to do with cougar point ATM but it just adds my curiosity on my HDD
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-THX TruStudio
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

xeromist
Not sure. Maybe Chastity knows?

My pointer freezes on the screen with regularity when I use the track pad. It won't move, producing a grey fixed circle at the end of the pointer.

If I give it several seconds, it will eventually move, only to freeze again without warning.

any and all thoughts appreciated. I just got the computer two weeks ago, and only now am having some time to explore.

also disappointed with ~600 GB HD, vs. 750 advertised...

Best,

Pete

pedera wrote:
My pointer freezes on the screen with regularity when I use the track pad. It won't move, producing a grey fixed circle at the end of the pointer.

If I give it several seconds, it will eventually move, only to freeze again without warning.

any and all thoughts appreciated. I just got the computer two weeks ago, and only now am having some time to explore.

also disappointed with ~600 GB HD, vs. 750 advertised...

Best,

Pete

The freezing pointer is most likely the result of either the touchpad driver getting flaky, or another driver causing seriouslty latency. As Boosted_R suggested, the Atheros WLAN card is well-known to cause these types of issues. If you have an Atheros, be sure to update the driver.

Also, you might want to re-install or repair-install your TP driver.

You got a 600Gb hard drive? If you were shipped the wrong configuration, you should return it and get the right one?

Boosted_R
Level 8
I used to get something like that on my G74, it would lag/freeze for a second..... changed my wireless card to Intel 6230 and it runs smooth as silk....... that might be your problem if you have the atheros card. Good Luck
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23